A survival knife is a must-have item since it not only perfect for survival settings but also everyday uses.
If you are looking for the best folding survival knife, here are they. These 5 items will blow your mind.
Here are the best folding survival knives you can buy in 2019:
- Best For Hiking: MTech USA Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife
- Best For Hunting: Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Replaceable Blade Tactical Hunting EDC Folding Pocket Knife
- Best Military Knife: Grand Way Spring Assisted Knife 6681
- Best For Camping: Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife
- Best For Self-Defense: Benchmade Griptilian 550HG Knife
- Coolest: Kershaw Blur Black (1670BLK) Everyday Carry Pocketknife
Best For Hiking: MTech USA Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife
- Highly durable
- Generous warranty
- Small and lightweight
- Cuts incredibly well
- Easy to use
- Best for hiking
- Its slippery handle
- The spring-assisted features aren’t durable.
MTech USA Ballistic MT-A705 offers many features that frequent hikers appreciate.
First thing first, it is incredibly durable. The stainless steel blade allows the knife to survive in harsh weather conditions. This model comes with a generous lifetime warranty, an indication of its superior durability.
The blade length and thickness come just right, making it easy to handle different tasks. Its built-in spring-assisted feature gives you quick deployment. Though I have seen a few reviews complaining about this feature, saying that it is not very durable.
When it comes to safety, this folding survival knife is the best. Featuring a liner lock, it holds the blade tightly after use. There are many useful functions this knife includes such as a bottle opener, a screwdriver and pocket clip.
One thing that makes me disappointed about this unit is its slippery handle. You will experience this when your hands get wet.
|MTech USA Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife Specifications|
Screwdriver and bottle opener
Spring assist folding knife
Black and Gold aluminum handle with screwdriver and bottle opener
Pocket clip for easy and safe carry
With a pack of useful features, this MTech USA Ballistic MT-A705 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife is a perfect choice for outdoor use, especially hiking or camping trips.
Best For Hunting: Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Replaceable Blade Tactical Hunting EDC Folding Pocket Knife
- Sharp blade for hunting
- Holds an edge well for casual use
- Blades can be replaced
- Easy to use
- No-brainer affordable
- The edge is quite thin, so it is hard to work with bones.
If you want to find the sharpest, strongest folding survival knife, this is it. The knife blade is made of hard finished 44J2, which makes it unbelievably sharp and durable.
It also comes with additional support from the black oxide coated blade holder too. This blade holder makes prying on joints or capping the antlers a piece of cake. The great thing with this knife is no matter what happens to the blade, you can always replace it with a new one for a few bucks.
Don’t worry about the changing process because it is super easy. You just need to push the locking button and the blade will come out straight away. You can choose to replace the old blade with a new one or simply sharpen the blade using a ceramic or small steel.
This folding unit is no-brainer affordable. It is 8” long with 3,5” blade length, making it suitable for EDC uses. I also love the H-style belt loops with which you can carry the knife horizontally or vertically as you wish.
Any drawback? The blade length is perfect, but the edge is a bit too thin. If you want a knife that can cut through bones, this might not be a suitable option.
|Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Replaceable Blade Tactical Hunting EDC Folding Pocket Knife Specifications|
44J2 Stainless steel
Quick 1-handed opening
Handle: Grivory® with TPR inserts
Black-oxide coating blade
Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite Replaceable Blade Tactical Hunting EDC Folding Pocket Knife is not only compatible with EDC uses but also ideal for hunting and all sorts of survival scenes.
Best Military Knife: Grand Way Spring Assisted Knife 6681
- Generous warranty
- Perfect for military uses
- Holds edge perfectly
- Very budget-friendly
Grand Way offers an excellent military-style folding knife. The simple liner-lock is reliable, preventing unwanted dirt and unexpected closure. The built-in thumb studs are designed to work with both right and left-hand users.
You may wonder what happens with the knife in case of spring breakage. Surprisingly, this knife still functions as a classic pocket knife for daily use.
When it comes to versatility, nothing can beat Grand Way 6681 AN. It is highly adaptable with different task requirements, from camping, EDC, to survival and military needs.
The blade is made of 440 stainless steel, which is famous for its high quality and durability. This inexpensive material reduces the total price significantly. You can enjoy its absolute sharpness at an affordable price.
Grand Way offers a 10-year warranty and a 100% money-back guarantee. Coupled with the fact that it has absolutely no drawbacks (that I can see), this is a very well-rounded option for you.
|Grand Way Spring Assisted Knife 6681 Specifications|
440C stainless steel
Spring assisted system
Excellent balance of hardness and corrosion resistance
Perfect tactical knife for everything
Grand Way Spring Assisted Knife 6681 is a versatile little unit made to handle everything in every situation, from military, hunting to bushcrafting.
Best For Camping: Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife
- A generous warranty
- Ready for whatever & whenever
- Durable construction
- Trusted quality
- This is a non-locking blade
This Swiss-made Amy Knife is only second to the famous well-crafted Swiss wristwatches. Victorinox, the manufacturer has acquired its prestige by making the top-class multi-functional pocket knife, including the SwissChamp.
SwissChamp is a feature-packed survival knife. It comes with 33 tools in total. You can find things from screwdrivers, rulers, toothpick to corkscrews. The wonderful thing is each tool and the blade are made of rugged stainless steel.
These built-in tools make the SwissChamp best choice for campers in survival settings. It is ready for whatever-and-whenever uses.
Remember that this knife comes with non-locking blades, which could be a tiny drawback.
|Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife Specifications|
Screwdriver, bottle opener with screwdriver, pliers and a corkscrew
A lifetime guarantee
Scissors and a magnifying glass
Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife is well-made and exceptionally versatile. It will be the best companion for your long camping and hunting trips.
Best For Self-Defense: Benchmade Griptilian 550HG Knife
- Exceptionally strong and fully ambidextrous
- Comfortable to hold, use, and take anywhere
- Simple locking mechanism
- Smooth opening
Benchmade 550HG may look like a minimal choice, but its power surprises me right after the first use. The blade offers a modified sheepsfoot blade with just a little belly on the edge. The spine also runs down to meet the cutting edge.
This type of blade is perfect when slicing is required. It is made of 154CM stainless steel, which is originally used for industrial applications only. Naturally, the Benchmade is tough and corrosion-resistant.
I believe the best feature of this excellent knife is the locking system. The spring-loaded sliding thumb stud works perfectly and yet very simple. It is safe to use too.
I also love the Valox handle since it is very lightweight and easy to hold in any circumstances. The handle features two 420J stainless steel liners that add support to the knife.
Apart from making a wonderful EDC and survival knife, this tiny beast is also suitable for self-defense purposes. It is small, lightweight to carry everywhere.
|Benchmade Griptilian 550HG Knife Specifications|
No of functions
154CM stainless steel blade
Ambidextrous Thumb-Hole Opener
Lightweight Molded Handle
Hollow ground Blade
Multiple Configurations and Colors Available
If you are looking for a folding survival knife for self-defense and EDC uses with the excellent build quality, Benchmade Griptilian 550HG Knife is a way to go.
Coolest: Kershaw Blur Black (1670BLK) Everyday Carry Pocketknife
- The big beautiful, wide blade
- Ambidextrous one-handed opening, easy to store
- Easy carry in all conditions
- Quality construction
- Perfect Deployment mechanism
- The slight recurve makes it hard to sharpen
Kershaw never fails to amaze me with their survival knife. This folding version is probably the coolest one you ever have.
This unit comes with tough Sandvik 14C28N steel known for its high performance and durability. The knife is therefore highly corrosion resistance. I also love the diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating. It certainly looks cool with added beauty and shine, but more than that, it offers amazing wear resistance and low friction.
Overall, I’m happy with the knife length. It is long enough to handle most of the tasks when you are in the wildness. The blade also features a high hollow grind and a light curve. Some people complain about the curve, saying that makes the knife harder to sharpen.
Kershaw is famous for its advanced Speedsafe Assisted Opening system. It enables smooth and fast blade deployment Thanks to a light and thin blade locking system, the Kershaw Blur Black is super safe and convenient to use.
I can go on forever about how wonderful the handle is. This anodized aluminum adds strength and eye-catching color for the knife without increasing its weights. The Trac-Tec makes sure that this knife is non-slip.
|Kershaw Blur Black (1670BLK) Everyday Carry Pocketknife Specifications|
Sandvik 14C28N steel
Kershaw Blur Black (1670BLK) Everyday Carry Pocketknife is a wonderful companion in everyday tasks, survival settings, and different weather conditions.
How To Choose The Best Folding Survival Knives?
- Size does matter when it comes to the survival game. If you want to carve precision snares or so, a long blade could make things a bit difficult. A short blade, on the other hand, can limit what you can do.
- The ideal blade length is somewhere between 4 to 7 inches. You can find survival knives that are 12-inches long, but they are very much useful as you think.
- When it comes to survival purposes, you need a knife that not only good but also versatile. That is why blade thickness is another factor to consider. You will find yourself using your survival knife from skinning a rabbit to batoning wood.
- For a knife to accommodate different uses, its thickness should be between 0.17 to 0.25 inches.
- You should look for knives that are made of durable stainless steel. Some brands offer a lifetime warranty, which is also a sign of durability.
- You need to use a survival knife in all sorts of weather, including under rain or snow. When choosing a knife, make sure you choose one with a non-slip grip. It typically is a form of topography at the blade end that stops your hand from sliding over.
- The knife should also be comfortable to hold for a long time. A thin, light and comfortable grip are what you should be after.
- A foldable survival knife needs a secure method to fold so that it won’t snap your fingers on the way. There are two common ways of folding mechanism: liner lock and spine lock.
Liner lock is a strong way to fold a knife but at the same time harder to close.
The spine lock is fairly strong, but it is quite user-friendly.
- You should choose a knife that can be folded with one hand. An ambidextrous lock will generally safe and easy to use.
Which Brands Make The Best Folding Survival Knives?
- Kershaw must be one of the oldest manufacturers. With over 40 years of experience, they know how to make exceptional small and mid-size tactical and EDC knives.
- Benchmade knives have been around for ages. Their price varies depending on the “class” of the knife. Typically, you can find an affordable knife with great quality from Benchmade.
- For high-quality folding survival knives, Victorinox is where you should look. Their Swiss-quality and build are outstanding.
- MTech is a great way to start for beginners. Their knives are basic, easy to use and very affordable.
- I love Grand Way because of its amazing knife design. They offer excellent build quality with rugged materials.
- Outdoor Edge is my favorite choice when it comes to inexpensive and versatile EDC and folding knives. Their products are very user-friendly too.
Can I use a folding survival knife for everyday use?
It is possible but not ideal to use a folding survival knife for everyday use. Of course, a knife, regardless of whether it is survival or everyday carrying one, still can help you with opening a package or cutting fruit.
However, a folding survival knife always comes with specific designs to assist you in survival situations. These designs can sometimes be uncomfortable to use in everyday settings.
Can I use everyday carry knife for survival?
Nowadays, EDC knives are getting more and more versatile. They offer not only simple everyday functions but also essential uses in an emergency.
Most EDC knives can be used for cooking prep, shelter building, general utility and so on, which is perfect for some survival situations.
However, I would still recommend you fining a knife that is specifically designed for survival purposes.
Can I use a folding knife for self-defense?
Using a folding knife for self-defense is possible but it shouldn’t be your first choice. In some places, using a folding knife could be illegal, so you should check whether it is the case in your living area.
Should I EDC a knife?
A big yes. While the advancement of technology has brought us plenty of tools, a knife remains the most versatile and affordable option for everyday-life tasks. Think about it. With its ability to cut, you can easily handle campfire steak, plastic packaging, or stray threads.
It is also a great tool for emergency cases. Cutting tinder to make fire, cauterizing a wound, basically everything you can think of.
Finding the best folding survival knife isn’t daunting as long as you know where to look. Reading reviews and guidelines is a great way to gather knowledge and understanding of different types and brands. Hopefully, this review will show you the right direction to get your desired survival knife.