Hiking a good deal in spring and autumn will give you chances to come across the occasional creek, patches of mud, puddles or even rainfall. So “waterproofing” is one of the must-consider features when it comes to the best men’s waterproof hiking shoes.
Here are the best men's waterproof hiking shoes you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II
- Best For Wider Feet: adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX
- Best For Narrow Feet: The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 GTX
- Best For Moisture-Wicking: CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes
- Best For Light Backpacking: Salomon X Ultra 3
- Best For Winter: ECCO Men's Rugged Track
|Top 6 Best Men's Waterproof Hiking Shoes|
|Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II||Read Our Review|
Best For Wider Feet
|adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX||Read Our Review|
Best For Narrow Feet
|The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 GTX||Read Our Review|
Best For Moisture-Wicking
|CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes||Read Our Review|
Best For Light Backpacking
|Salomon X Ultra 3||Read Our Review|
Best For Winter
|ECCO Men's Rugged Track||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II
- Grip & slip-free - Omni-Grip advanced traction rubber sole
- Superior cushioning & long-lasting comfort - Techlite lightweight midsole
- Breathable & dry during rainy days - durable mesh tongue;
- The shoelace hook at the top is easily bent under pressure
- The rubber outsole wears out fast
Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II is a perfect choice if your goal is to find a pair of light hiking shoes at a definitely budget-friendly price point.
This is a mid-rise shoe constructed with a waterproof full-grain leather upper and breathable mesh tongue. The 5” shaft measurement gives you just nice coverage and protection. Lace-Up closure is adjustable for a secure fit.
What really caught our attention was the advanced Omni-Grip traction outsole and the Techlite midsole technology.
This wise combination not just gives you great cushioning to feel nothing when stepping on rocks but also high energy returns. In addition, hiking in wet, slippery terrains will be grippier and more reliable.
|Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II Specifications|
< 2 pounds
Leather, Mesh, Suede
Waterproof full-grain leather and suede
Durable mesh tongue
Omni-Grip advanced traction rubber sole
Techlite lightweight midsole
Whether it’s a treacherous day out up the mountain or on the trail, with the Columbia Men's Newton Ridge Plus II, just confident!
Best For Wider Feet: adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX
- Ultra-comfortable – the shoe runs wide with a roomy toe box
- Stable - built-in TPU support structure
- Good traction - 5mm lugs & continental rubber
- Not ideal to use when wearing a super-heavy pack
adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX is specifically designed for the mountain.
You’ll get comfort from the lightweight EVA midsole in the mid-section of the shoe but additional structure and stability as well, thanks to the built-in TPU support.
On the outside, there’s a supreme traction outsole with continental rubber. The 5mm lugs dig deep into loose terrains and give good traction on slabby rock terrain while the continental rubber performs well across the board whether it’s wet or dry conditions.
The good news for wider feet is this shoe runs decently wide with plenty of space in the toe box so it will keep you moving confidently and comfortably through challenging terrain.
|adidas outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX Specifications|
Fabric & rubber soles
Lightweight EVA midsole
Built-in TPU support structure
Supreme traction outsole with continental rubber
Good cushion, lightweight materials, ultra-wide design, and some extra stability features make the Adidas Outdoor Men’s Terrex Swift R2 GTX an excellent light hiking shoe for wider feet.
Best For Narrow Feet: The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 GTX
- Super-comfortable - high energized cushioned design & EVA midsoles
- Steady & great shock absorption - polyurethane Snake Plate & UltrATAC rubber outsole
- Waterproof on the outside, breathable on the inside - GORE-TEX membrane
- Shoestrings are slightly challenging to tie or loosen
- Little arch support
With The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 GTX, we particularly like its high energized cushioned design around the midsole that delivers plenty of comfort for the feet. One thing to note: This shoe runs small so it would be a nice choice for narrow feet.
Regardless, you have EVA - which helps keep the shoe super-lightweight with decent shock absorption - and a mid-foot shank for extra stability.
Down on the bottom and this is also the best part, you’ll get a polyurethane Snake Plate. It prevents stone and bruising like a charm, in addition to an UltrATAC rubber outsole which is perfect to keep a nice and steady, wet or dry trail.
Keeping the shoe waterproof is the GORE-TEX membrane but rest assured, it still allows your foot to breathe on the inside. Gorgeous!
|The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 GTX Specifications|
1 lb 1 oz
High energized cushioned design
Designed with a small, snugly-fitted silhouette and tons of protection features, these awesome shoes from The North Face is wonderful for narrow feet to conquer the outdoors.
Best For Moisture-Wicking: CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes
- Wear-resistant & durable – high-quality upper surface material design, three-layer spliced RB design, & non-grip puncture-resistant outsole
- Dry, comfortable, & breathable - moisture-wicking inner mesh & upper surface mesh stitching
- Not ideal for hammertoe
- The inner fabric is not as wear-resistant as the outside
These CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes are incredibly lightweight and yet, they pack a ton.
The shoe features lots of imitation memory cotton inside with dynamic shock-absorbing material and Ortholite stretchy insole to ease the sole leather, giving you comfort while hiking.
It also gives you great arch support with protection from the rear upper and strong toe cap to feel better during long-distance hiking or trekking in the wild.
While waterproofing is a strong point of this hiking shoe, it still efficiently circulates the air to make your feet breathable and comfortably dry all the time. All thanks to the large moisture-wicking inner mesh.
|CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes Specifications|
Three-layer spliced RB design & non-grip puncture-resistant outsole
Moisture-wicking inner mesh & upper surface mesh stitching
If you are looking for the best men’s waterproof hiking shoes with excellent moisture-wicking ability, look no further.
Best For Light Backpacking: Salomon X Ultra 3
- Ultra-lightweight - 1 pound and 15 ounces
- Great foot protection - ultra-thick rubberized toes
- Handle light backpacking trips - Great torsional stability and ample support
- Don’t have much wiggle room in the toe
- Not ideal for wide feet
For a local day hike or light backpacking, the Salomon X Ultra 3 is lightweight but rugged enough to be a pleasant change from your usual hiking boots.
It weighs just 1 pound and 15 ounces whereas still offers ultra-thick rubberized toes for decent foot protection. With it, kicking in steps in snow or loose sediment won’t be a matter anymore.
The shoe gives a snug fit like trail runners, especially on the sides, to feel very comfortable and aggressive while hiking over rocky trails. The perforated Ortholite insole delivers superior air circulation underfoot and the upper mesh breathes well.
It can also deal with light backpacking trips nicely thanks to the great torsional stability and ample support.
|Salomon X Ultra 3 Specifications|
< 3 pounds
1 pound and 15 ounces
Ultra-thick rubberized toes
Great torsional stability and ample support
If your goal is to move light and fast on the trails, Salomon X Ultra 3 Hiking Shoes is a holy grail.
Best For Winter: ECCO Men's Rugged Track
- Handle multiple weather conditions & temperature ranges - multi-season oiled nubuck leather upper
- Ultra-cushioning & comfortable - 7mm thick vegetable tanned leather insoles & PU foam injected midsoles
- Great traction in all types of terrain - receptor technology on the outsoles
- A bit pricey
This adventure shoe is crafted from a multi-season oiled nubuck leather upper, rubber outsole, and has the Gore-Tex protection to provide optimal waterproofing capabilities.
It is also nice and flexible with the PU foam injected midsoles. Going inside, you’ve got the ergonomic shaping, creating a cushier interior and combined with that is a 7mm thick vegetable tanned leather insoles.
With that echo comfort fiber system, you know you’re going to be hiking super comfy.
On the bottom, it is very flexible yet supportive and grippy, which is a big thank you to the receptor technology that’s crafted to increase traction on all types of surfaces.
We also believe you’ll fall for the classic look of this hiking shoe, created by the mock toe design going around the front.
|ECCO Men's Rugged Track Specifications|
Multi-season oiled nubuck leather upper
7mm thick vegetable tanned leather insoles & PU foam injected midsoles
Receptor technology on the outsoles
Designed to protect hikers from cold weather in the mountains, the CAMEL CROWN Hiking Shoes is wonderful for winter use.
How To Choose The Best Men's Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
- There are two common kinds of waterproof materials - PU liners & eVent/Gore-Tex liners.
-resist water well
-Good at waterproofing
-breathable, still allow moisture to escape outside -> comfortable
Keep moisture in and heat up your feet
Easy to wear out
Weight & Cost
- Waterproof hiking shoes commonly come in heftier weight than the non-waterproof.
- This feature is particularly worth considering if you are about to be in a long-distance trail or carry a full backpacking pack of gear, clothing, food, and water. In such case, ounces will add up quickly on every mile.
- Another thing that will also change equivalent to the shoe’s waterproofing levels is the price. The better the waterproofing feature of a hiking shoe, the more costlier.
- So before making a decision, always think about the hiking distance, the packing weight, and your budget.
- While slip resistance is one of a shoe’s primary duties, we believe this feature should be considered more carefully when it comes to choosing waterproof hiking boots.
- To do that, look for a special component called lugs.
- They are added with an outsole covered in rubber knurled knobs, featuring various shapes to deal with specific situations.
- For example, narrow and deep lugs lead to a tread pattern better traction to suit loose conditions. Meanwhile, wider and shallower lug patterns give the boot much more conducive to slippery terrains, such as granite slabs or sandstone.
Which Brands Make The Best Men's Waterproof Hiking Shoes?
- With over 80 years’ experience in making outdoor footwear, Columbia deserves to get a high position in this list. The family-owned business form has helped it retain many unique values and innovations to make it stand out from other competitors.
- Speaking of outdoor footwear, Adidas is a notable brand. This Germania company has led the world’s industry since 1949 and known for its sporty design with high practicality and functions.
The North Face
- Founded in 1966, The North Face is well-loved for providing only the highest quality outdoor gear to customers worldwide, including footwear.
Do you need waterproof hiking shoes?
You will need waterproof hiking shoes if you are going to hike through:
- Rainfall/heavily snowy conditions
- Wet underbrush
- Many stream crossings
- Knee-deep, cold rivers
Should hiking shoes be a size bigger?
Yes, you should.
It’s because your feet tend to swell up at the end of your day hiking or during cold weathers, you will need to wear extra socks for warmth. A hiking shoe with a size bigger would deliver a better fit.
Can I wear running shoes for hiking?
Yes, you can.
But we only recommend using it for hiking as long as the trails are easy and short to hike.
Should you wear two pairs of socks when hiking?
Wearing 2 pairs of socks during the hike when:
- Your feet are easily blistered
- The weather is cold
- Your hiking boots give little foot support
- You need extra shock absorption and moisture wicking
How much room should be in the toe of a hiking boot?
At least ½”
Should I get a half size bigger for hiking boots?
If your feet swell up very little or you don’t need to wear ultra-thick socks during a hiking trip, going for a half size up for your hiking boots is enough.
This ultimate guide should help make your big decision of best men’s waterproof hiking shoes a little bit easier.
Be sure to think through the entire process in it as the key element about choosing which one to buy is to be realistic about your comfort needs, budget, and where to hike.
That’s all for this article, thanks for reading!