Hunting hogs in the dark is challenging and dangerous, but also exciting. Nevertheless, just like any other outdoor activity, you need to bring the right gear to make the best of your time. Therefore, in this post, we will show you how to choose a very important tool for night hunting: the best night vision scope for hog hunting.
Here are the best night vision scopes for hog hunting (Sep 2021 Update):
- Best Overall: Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope
- Most Durable: Firefield NVRS 3x42 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope
- Best For Intermediate Hunters: Night Owl Optics NightShot Digital Night Vision Riflescope
- Budget Option: BESTSIGHT DIY Digital Night Vision Scope
- Best For Long-Range Hunting: ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope
|5 Best Night Vision Scopes For Hog Hunting|
|Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope|
|Firefield NVRS 3x42 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope|
Best For Intermediate Hunters
|Night Owl Optics NightShot Digital Night Vision Riflescope|
|BESTSIGHT DIY Digital Night Vision Scope|
Best For Long-Range Hunting
|ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope|
Best Overall: Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope
- Versatile – day/night mode with an easy switch button
- Customizable – multiple reticle options
- Expandable power – an external micro USB port
- Allow you to record videos/shoot photos in 1080HD - High-definition sensor
- The rubber lens cover could be sturdier
The Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope remains at the top of the pile. It continues to offer the most versatile performance, classic green or black and white for night vision mode; full color viewing for daylight use, making it perfect for hunting different games.
You can customize your riflescope with 9 color options and 10 reticle choices to suit your needs. About power source, this unit is operated by four AA batteries for a 4.5-hour max runtime but it can expand options for power with an external micro USB port.
While it comes with two choices of magnification ranges – 2-16x28 and 4-32x50, we find the second option to be fantastic for hog hunting, especially in early twilight or dawn.
The unit also allows you to record videos in 1080HD, all thanks to the high-definition sensor.
|Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope Specifications|
Field Of View
An external micro USB port
Versatile, high-quality, customizable, and works flawlessly in low-light conditions for hog hunting, our testers all agree that the Sightmark Wraith HD Digital Riflescope is the best overall performer.
Most Durable: Firefield NVRS 3x42 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope
- Ultra-durable yet lightweight - a titanium body with an IPX4 waterproof rating and ergonomic design
- User-friendly - multiple adjustable incremental reticle brightness options, quick power-up, high-powered IR illuminator, and a quick-detach weaver mount
- Perfect for low-light hunting - 3x magnification & 42mm lens
- The integrated IR illuminator could be more functional
- Wish the QD lever was located and designed better
Although many riflescopes come close, they are still playing second fiddle to the Firefield NVRS as they’re unable to match this durable unit for the price.
No options that we’ve tested out there, especially at this pricing, feature a titanium body with an IPX4 waterproof rating and ergonomic design. While offering a sturdy feel, it’s incredibly lightweight that you will never mind bringing along on your hog hunting.
Regardless, it gives you multiple adjustable incremental reticle brightness options, quick power-up, high-powered IR illuminator, and a quick-detach weaver mount.
A 3x magnification offers nice clarity of images while an ultra-large 42mm lens gives you higher light-gathering capabilities, perfect for hunting nocturnal animals.
|Firefield NVRS 3x42 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope Specifications|
Field Of View
a titanium body with an IPX4 waterproof rating and ergonomic design
multiple adjustable incremental reticle brightness options, quick power-up, high-powered IR illuminator, and a quick-detach weaver mount
3x magnification & 42mm lens
If your top concern when seeking the best night vision scope for hog hunting is durability, the Firefield NVRS is worth investing in.
Best For Intermediate Hunters: Night Owl Optics NightShot Digital Night Vision Riflescope
- Sturdy – engineered thermoplastic & waterproof construction
- Offer higher performance than those starter riflescopes - advanced infrared illuminator, 640X480 HD display & work well with rifles of 30 calibers
- Good price point
- A bit inconvenient to change batteries – inappropriate battery door location
- Wish it was a higher of power
For intermediate hunters who wish to enhance their hog hunting experience to the next level, we’ve got this option – the Night Owl Optics NightShot.
Unlike the low-end, starter riflescopes, this one is constructed of higher-quality thermoplastic, features an advanced infrared illuminator, 640X480 HD display for the maximum ranges of 100-200 yards. It also works well with rifles of 30 calibers.
While operating fantastically in low light, the daylight use won’t ruin this scope, which is a good bonus.
And if the price point is another of your concerns, the good news is this option won’t flatten your wallet as the two above but still offers durable, waterproof construction with moderately versatile use.
|Night Owl Optics NightShot Digital Night Vision Riflescope Specifications|
Field Of View
engineered thermoplastic & waterproof construction
advanced infrared illuminator, 640X480 HD display & work well with rifles of 30 calibers
In a nutshell, we find the Night Owl Optics NightShot is a great choice for intermediate hog hunters whether in terms of price, quality, functionality, or ease of use.
Budget Option: BESTSIGHT DIY Digital Night Vision Scope
- Very affordable
- Ensure a high-quality design with functionalities – feature a 5W extended sliding infrared flashlight, a 360-degree adjustable camera, and 5.0-inch clear display screen captures
- Able to work during daylight and night - The newly upgraded hunting night vision design
- Not include batteries
- It doesn’t work in complete darkness - even with an IR flashlight on
- The screen is too bright in low light
While this option lacks some useful add-ons, its basic performance pleasantly surprised us, especially when the price is up to 3x lower than others.
As featuring a simple construction, it’s very easy to assemble and use.
The design includes a 5W extended sliding infrared flashlight, a 360-degree adjustable camera, and 5.0-inch clear display screen captures, which still gives you a nice visual experience in low light.
The newly upgraded hunting night vision is also workable during daylight and offers a colored view - the thing that we appreciate the most.
|BESTSIGHT DIY Digital Night Vision Scope Specifications|
Field Of View
feature a 5W extended sliding infrared flashlight, a 360-degree adjustable camera, and 5.0-inch clear display screen captures
The newly upgraded hunting night vision design
With this purchase, we highly recommend it for those beginner hog hunters who are in a tight budget or infrequent night hunters.
Best For Long-Range Hunting: ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope
- Ideal for long-range hunting – a field of view of 240 feet @ 1000 yards
- Able to identify easily the exact ballistics for different needs - ballistic calculator
- Practical and more convenient to use – highlight Wi-Fi Streaming, Recoil Activated Video (RAV), and Smart Range Finder
- It won’t work if you lose power
This riflescope is our proud suggestion for intermediate to pro hog hunters who want to improve the hunting range.
While still offering 1080p HD photo shooting/video recording function and good magnification ranges as other counterparts here, it boasts a field of view range of up to 240 feet 1000 yards with 1/8” adjustable per pixel. This results in the next-level night vision with millions of colors.
Besides, it allows you to identify easily the exact ballistics for your needs using the stock ballistic calculator.
Some other advanced features are Wi-Fi Streaming, Recoil Activated Video (RAV), and Smart Range Finder. Moreover, its firmware is upgradable.
|ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope Specifications|
Field Of View
240 ft. @ 1000 yards
a field of view of 240 feet @ 1000 yards
highlight Wi-Fi Streaming, Recoil Activated Video (RAV), and Smart Range Finder
Offering a field of view of 240 feet 1000 yards along with many other advanced features, the ATN X-Sight II HD 3-14 Smart Day/Night Rifle Scope is ideal for long-range hog hunting.
How To Choose The Best Night Vision Scope For Hog Hunting?
When choosing a night vision scope, you will have to pick from five types.
Generation 1: This type uses ambient light to generate an image with light intensifier tubes that intensify light up to 1000 times compared with the human eye.
It relies on infrared illuminators for night vision. As for the downsides of this type, the intensifier tubes can’t be exposed to daylight or they will be burnt out. Also, the image quality isn’t very good.
Generation 2: It’s an upgrade from generation 1, featuring an additional microchannel plate to let more light pass through, which means higher image quality.
Generation 3: Compared with generation 2, this type adds a chemical to the photocathode screen to produce the sharpest, brightest images. But it has a light sensitivity problem.
Digital version: Using infrared technology, this type also uses CCD chips and works like a video camera with night vision.
It produces images of the same quality as generation 2. Besides, this type can record images and videos, it’s also less sensitive to daylight than the generation series. However, it relies on batteries.
Thermal vision: this type is perfect for hunting hogs, using heat to produce images instead of ambient light.
Also, it’s not sensitive to light, meaning you can use it for both day and night hunting. Its detection range is up to 1000 yards with the ability to zoom, record images and videos. However, it is more expensive to buy.
Magnification is very important in helping you see animals from a distance. The minimum magnification for hunting hogs during the night is 3X, but you can go with the maximum 18X magnification for the best hunting experience.
Before deciding to buy a scope, you should also look at its other features:
- Ballistics: look for a scope that can calculate and manage your ballistics.
- Rangefinders: a scope with this feature means you won’t have to carry a separate range finder. It calculates the distance from your position to the target.
- Video recording: this feature helps you share your hunting experience with others, coming in some thermal and digital scopes. Some devices will use an SD card while others are paired with a smartphone.
Which Brands Make The Best Night Vision Scope For Hog Hunting?
This brand makes night vision scopes with innovation and advanced technology to optimize your outdoor hunts. Its products are favored by 3-gun shooters, hunters, and even law enforcement officers.
This is one of the best places to buy night vision scopes on the market. Here, you will find exceptional quality and precise devices for your hog hunts. Not just that, its products are also durable and easy to use.
Known for durability and quality, this brand offers topnotch night vision scopes that boost your hunting performance.
With years of experience in the industry, this brand continuously innovates its products to improve performance for users. Its night vision scopes are also trusted to high precision.
How does the night vision scope work?
A night vision scope works in the following steps:
- Dim light enters the front of the lens.
- When the photons of the light enter the scope, they strike the photocathode, where the photons are converted into electrons.
- The photomultiplier amplifies the electrons.
- After leaving the photomultiplier, the electrons hit a phosphor screen, which creates tiny flashes of light.
- Now, with more photons, the screen produces a brighter image than the original one.
Why do you need a night vision scope?
A night vision scope helps you see better in the dark, protecting you from danger. For hunting, it helps you locate the prey better and improve accuracy.
What is better thermal or night vision?
Thermal vision detects better than night vision. It’s not sensitive to light so it can be used for both night and day. But night vision scopes are cheaper.
What’s the difference between infrared and night vision?
Infrared vision detects far-infrared rays, the waves emitted from anything that releases heat. So, the images produced by this tech depend on how much heat each body has.
Meanwhile, night vision scopes generate images using a light source and don’t perform well in dark environments.
Can night vision see through smoke?
No, it cannot. As night vision relies on a source of light, and smoke blocks light from passing through, night vision cannot work.
We hope that this post has helped you figure out what to seek when shopping for the best night vision scope for hog hunting. To properly narrow down options, we recommend that you follow our guide closely, step by step, and avoid skipping or mixing the steps.