Besides the main events, tailgate parties are also the most expected part of major sports festivals such as basketball, hockey, baseball, etc. held at the stadium.
However, if you do not choose the right type of grill, the whole party may be affected and even canceled because there is not enough food supply.
In fact, you don't need to worry because there are so many best portable grills for tailgating. In this article, I will provide you with suitable and value-for-money products to avoid wasting. Also, if you are interested, do not overlook the answers to the problems that tailgating grill users usually encounter in the following sections.
Here are the best portable grills for tailgating (May 2021 Update):
- Best Overall: George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill
- Best For Searing: Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill
- Most Convenient: Giantex Electric BBQ Grill
- Best Overall: Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill
- Best For Groups Of 4: Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill
- Best For Bigger Groups: Shark BBQ Portable Charcoal Grill
- Best Overall: Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Portable Gas Grill
- Best For Bigger Groups: VIVOHOME Tabletop Gas Grill
- Best For Smaller Groups: Coleman Fold N Go Propane Grill
|Top 9 Best Portable Grills For Tailgating|
|George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Searing
|Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill||Read Our Review|
|Giantex Electric BBQ Grill||Read Our Review|
|Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Groups Of 4
|Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Bigger Groups
|Shark BBQ Portable Charcoal Grill||Read Our Review|
|Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Portable Gas Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Bigger Groups
|VIVOHOME Tabletop Gas Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Smaller Groups
|Coleman Fold N Go Propane Grill||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill
- Heat up quick
- Keep the food moist and juicy
- Easy to clean and non-stick
- The cord needs to be longer
This is one of the long-awaited products that make me happy until now.
One of the best things about it is that you can choose to use it with or without the removable stand. So, you can place it on the lawn or on the table for convenience.
Besides, it also comes with a nonstick coating that not only prevents the meat from being crushed but also makes it easy to clean. The grilling surface also has the perfect slope, suitable for those who need to lose fat intake.
|George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill Specifications|
11 x 20 x 20.5 inches
240 square inches
The unique George Foreman slope will limit a lot of fat from the meat.
If you have a large family, there is no better electric grill option than this George Foreman 15-serving one.
Best For Searing: Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill
- The heat is even on the grill surface
- Easy to adjust the temperature
- Minimal assembly required
- Lack of a temperature gauge
If you ask me about the solution for searing chicken, this is my answer. I have always loved grilling on cast iron pans, and the product can compete with the propane grills about this ability to searing meat. It helps retain the heat so that the meat will be seared beautifully in a short time.
Additionally, you can also use the lid to keep the heat evenly around the meat.
|Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill Specifications|
25.1 x 31.5 x 26 in
280 square inches
Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates will make searing food easier than ever.
You get excellent quality and exceptional searing ability from the Weber 55020001 Q 2400 Electric Grill.
Most Convenient: Giantex Electric BBQ Grill
- Easy to assemble
- Perfect size
- Simple to clean
- Some spots get hotter than others
A tailgate party needs a lot to prepare, not just the grill. You may, sometimes, forget a few essential items like condiment plates.
If you choose the Giantex electric BBQ grill, you won't have to worry about that. It not only has a sturdy stand but also features a condiment tray assembled on it, allowing everyone to use it while having fun chatting.
Better yet, the inconvenience of moving too much will be solved with the tray's ability to rotate 360 degrees.
|Giantex Electric BBQ Grill Specifications|
24.8 x 24.8 x 35.6 inches
240 square inches
It includes a condiment tray that can rotate 360 degrees around the stand.
If you want everyone to enjoy a delicious barbecue joyfully and conveniently, I recommend you buy the Giantex electric BBQ grill.
Best Overall: Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill
- Easy to put together
- Good value for the price
- Compact and lightweight
- Slightly small for large groups
The Cuisinart CCG-190RB charcoal grill is worth the purchase as an alternative to electric and gas grills on the days when you want to innovate the flavor.
For a low price, you will be extremely satisfied with this handy, compact, and good-quality product. You will have a smoky, fragrant BBQ with a variety of dishes, from sausages, pork loins, and chops to chicken, bratwursts, hamburgers, steak, and various types of ribs.
|Cuisinart CCG-190RB Portable Charcoal Grill Specifications|
14.5 x 14.5 x 15 inches
150 square inches
The small size and weight make it easy for you to take it anywhere.
The Cuisinart CCG-190RB grill will make your charcoal barbecue party cozier and more delicious than ever at an affordable price.
Best For Groups Of 4: Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill
- Safe with heat-shield handles
- Great taste
- Not easy to use
This product is very popular for couples with two children because of its size and affordability. While this is not the lightest charcoal grill, it provides you with enough grilling space while being compact and portable so you can take it anywhere.
Moreover, it is also very durable, so if you do not use it, you can store it carefully and be assured that it will be reused in a very long time.
|Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill Specifications|
19.8 x 20.5 x 19.8 inches
240 square inches
The lid will always be clean with its position with the Tuck-N-Carry lid lock.
A moderate tailgating party for 4 will perfectly fit the size and essential features of the Weber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill.
Best For Bigger Groups: Shark BBQ Portable Charcoal Grill
- Easy fold and store
- Unique design
- Sharp edges can be dangerous
The Weber Jumbo Joe is great for 4. But if your group is bigger than 4, use the Shark BBQ charcoal grill.
You may have doubts about its capabilities when you first see the grill in the carrying bag. However, you will be completely surprised to take it out and assemble. It is perfect for large tailgating parties with sizable grilling surface and sturdy design. It can be said that the design has brought no small convenience to the user.
Unfold it, and you’re ready to go.
|Shark BBQ Portable Charcoal Grill Specifications|
14 x 14 x 1.9 inches
190 square inches
The grill housing assembly makes it a lot easier to move and store the product.
Shark BBQ has created a powerful, solid charcoal grill that can meet all the cooking tasks for bigger groups.
Best Overall: Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Portable Gas Grill
- Great grilling area
- It’s not so solid
Using propane grills is for convenience, and one of the best propane products you can find on the market is the Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster gas grill.
If you always have a hungry stomach after a long driving, you will love this product because it allows you to grill everything right after just a few minutes without assembly. And the dishes that it completes are wonderful.
At the same time, it is very compact to carry and does not take up too much space on the vehicle. Convenient, right?
|Cuisinart CGG-059 Grillster Portable Gas Grill Specifications|
19 x 11.5 x 10 inches
146 square inches
The porcelain enamel cooking grate has a role in distributing heat evenly.
The Cuisinart Grillster portable grill is a great option for a tailgating party with many dishes, from burgers, seafood, steak, chicken to vegetables or kabobs.
Best For Bigger Groups: VIVOHOME Tabletop Gas Grill
- Easy and fast to clean
- Good taste
- Simple to use
- Handles get hot when grilling
As for gas grill for large groups, there is no more ideal option than the Vivohome stainless steel grill. What impressed me the most was its bucky design with a powerful combustion system. Plus the large grilling area, everything will be baked in just 30 minutes even when it's windy.
Besides, you won't have to worry about the meat being burnt because the item has a temperature gauge for you to track regularly.
|VIVOHOME Tabletop Gas Grill Specifications|
19.7 x 24.0 x 29.1 inches
277.38 square inches
Made of 430SS stainless steel
It is very durable and heat-resistant.
The Vivohome stainless steel gas grill is the perfect size for a large group with a strong operation but still comfortable to take away.
Best For Smaller Groups: Coleman Fold N Go Propane Grill
- Good price
- Easy to clean
- Simple design
This is a gas grill option for a smaller number of people, only two or three. It is easy to use and works exactly like a charm. Whatever dish you want it to try, you will be easily defeated by this Coleman grill.
Besides, it also saves your cleaning time with a removable grease tray and the dishwasher-safe cooking surface.
|Coleman Fold N Go Propane Grill Specifications|
14 x 16 x 4.5 inches
105 square inches
If you're unlucky on a bad day, you can still grill food with PerfectFlow technology.
This is the perfect gas grill model for small groups who want to attend a tailgating party with great convenience and performance.
How To Choose The Best Portable Grills For Tailgating?
Type Of Fuel
- Each type of fuel will have its own drawbacks and benefits. Specifically, if you use electric and gas grills, it will be very convenient and fast for you to grill your food. Therefore, they will be suitable for crowded parties that need lots of food at the same time.
- As for charcoal grills, they will help you achieve the authentic smoky flavor that other types cannot. Still, the use of coal is difficult to adjust the fire and the heat needed. Consequently, it will take you more time and effort to get used to it.
Heat Capacity And Power
- Because you will need to move constantly, you won't want to carry a heavy and bulky grill everywhere. Therefore, choose a tailgate grill that is compact and not too heavy.
- But what if the party has plenty of people?
- Of course, the weight and size of a grill will not be a problem if it comes with portability features. These will include wheels, handles, and sometimes foldable legs. Evenly, some products have sliding side tables to make sure users won't have to spend too much effort and time moving them.
- When you buy tailgate grills, there is one indicator that you cannot overlook, which is the BTU (British Thermal Unit).
- It refers to the amount of heat the tool can achieve. That is, a high BTU means you will spend less time cooking food at such high temperatures, and therefore, no one will have to wait too long for his meal at the party.
- You can choose a tailgate grill for a pocket-friendly price of under $50. However, make sure it has high quality and all the features I have analyzed.
- On the contrary, if you want a massive, powerful option with no limit on the amount of money, decide wisely. It is best to use products that suit your interests and needs and avoid wasting money on features you don't need.
Which Brands Make The Best Portable Grills For Tailgating?
- With over 120 years of experience, Coleman deserves first place in the rankings of the brands of the best portable grills for tailgating. They focus on outdoor recreation items, especially camping gear.
- Meanwhile, Weber is a heavyweight candidate for the best charcoal grill brand with a history of making the original round charcoal kettle grill in the 1880s-1890s. In 1952, the company grew rapidly with barbecue division products.
- Cuisinart is less famous than the older brands. However, their grill products are very handy, portable, and have a good price. Therefore, we have no reason to ignore such a good brand.
Is electric grill the best for tailgating?
Electric grills have many advantages over other types of fuel. But as we've said, they are not certain to be the best option for tailgating parties because not everyone has the same need as each other.
However, if you do not require the authentic smoky flavor but need a tool to help you grill meat quickly and easily control the temperature, then electric grills are for you. At the same time, they are also good for your health, helping you avoid 40% of the fat that melts away when grilling. And unlike gas or charcoal grills, they are environmentally friendly, do not pollute the air.
How do you dispose of charcoal after tailgating?
After tailgating, you dispose of the ashes when they are no longer dangerous. Remember to throw them in the right places at the stadium.
What should you do with hot coals after grilling?
After you finish grilling, turn off the grill and let the charcoal cool completely. You don't have to use water or sand to put out the fire, but just let it burn. Another way is to close the vents and the lid. Its purpose is to starve the coals of oxygen.
Note that you should not throw hot coal in a paper bag or plastic garbage can because it may cause a fire.
Should you leave the lid open or close charcoal grill?
Depending on the food you are cooking and the status you want it to be, you can close or open the lid.
Let me clarify more.
For example, you want your steak to be cooked both inside and outside. At this time, you should close the lid so that the heat spreads evenly below and above the meat. On the contrary, if you want a medium-rare or rare steak, open the lid and turn the meat to the other side so that both sides are cooked but still red in the middle.
Besides, you can toss in soaked wood chips and close it. As such, the food grilled will have a smoke flavor.
How long should you burn charcoal before grilling?
Before grilling, it is best to light and burn the coals for at least 20-30 minutes so that they are hot and glow evenly on all sides.
The soul of the tailgate parties lies in the food, which is greatly influenced by the grills. Therefore, do not hesitate to buy yourself the best portable grills for tailgating that I have introduced to you. And if you've used one of them, let me know your thought about it. Thank you.