If you are living in a sunny climate and in consideration of incorporating an eco-friendly energy source into your lifestyle, why not invest in solar technology?
And if the solar panels are foldable for better storage? Well, all the better.
The following list will help you go through all the best foldable solar panels available in the market:
Here are the best foldable solar panels (May 2022 Update):
- Best Overall: Jackery SolarSaga 60W
- Most Energy-Efficient: Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel
- Best For Portable Power Station: Goal Zero Boulder 100 Briefcase
- Best For Dry Camping: HQST 100 Watt Foldable Solar Panel
- Best For RVs: GVSHINE Solar Panel Lighting Kit
- Best For Boat: ECO-WORTHY 100 W Watt Portable Kits
|Top 6 Best Foldable Solar Panels|
|Jackery SolarSaga 60W||Read Our Review|
|Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel||Read Our Review|
Best For Portable Power Station
|Goal Zero Boulder 100 Briefcase||Read Our Review|
Best For Dry Camping
|HQST 100 Watt Foldable Solar Panel||Read Our Review|
Best For RVs
|GVSHINE Solar Panel Lighting Kit||Read Our Review|
Best For Boat
|ECO-WORTHY 100 W Watt Portable Kits||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Jackery SolarSaga 60W
- Come with smaller, lighter design than the previous Jackery lines, more suitable for travelers and backpackers
- Provide higher power output to charge more electronic devices
- Can fit multiple power stations and battery packs
- No built-in USB port provided
Last year, we tested the Original 50W solar panel of Jackery and strongly impressed by how efficient it is to keep multiple electronics well-charged. However, the large dimensions stopped it from a good choice for travel.
That’s why when the SolarSaga is launched to be lighter and traveler-friendlier, it immediately wins our Best Choice Award.
Namely, it features a trifold design, sizing 17.5 x 12 x 1.8 inches and only 3.3 pounds of weight, to fit neatly in a truffle bag that won’t be a headache for travelers or backpackers during an extended excursion.
The best thing is despite the compact profile, the product gives no compromise of power output, if not saying even better. In addition, it features a standard solar charging plug to be compatible with various battery packs and power stations.
|Jackery SolarSaga 60W Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
17.5 x 12 x 1.8 inches
High conversion efficiency up to 23%
Weight: 3.3 lbs.
Priced under $170, the SolarSaga is an ideal option for anyone who expects in a fast, efficient, easy-to-use, and travel-friendly solar panel to be with you on whichever adventures.
Most Energy-Efficient: Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel
- Deliver unbeatably high power conversion rate up to 23.5% to provide more free energy
- Feature a built-in handle to make it easier to carry around
- Large size, not fit into a backpack -> limited portability degree
Our next pick is the Rockpals 100W.
Although it looks no different than the Jackery 60W or any other foldable solar panels designed for outings, there truly are some interesting features setting it apart from the crowd.
Started by addressing the elephant in the room – its power capacity - which is up to 100W - and its high-efficiency solar arrays.
As stated by the manufacturer, they limit the power loss during the conversion from solar power to free energy, hence, increasing the efficiency of up to 21.5% - 23.5%. Something that other 100W panels hardly do at the current.
|Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
20.5 * 14.2 * 2.6 inches.
Convert up to 21.5-23.5%
Operating Temperature: 0 - 120 F
If you’re looking for the most power-efficient foldable solar panel, the Rockpals 100W will never make you disappointed.
Best For Portable Power Station: Goal Zero Boulder 100 Briefcase
- Don’t require cables or adapters when charging Goal Zero portable power stations or solar generators -> easier and simpler to use
- Can be compatible with other solar panels to shorten the recharging time
- The stand can’t provide the optimum angle of the panels to the sun
- Heavy and expensive
For any off-grid scenario, such as emergencies or camping trips, the Goal Zero Boulder 100 Solar Briefcase is a shining candidate.
It, unlike other similar counterparts, requires no cables or charge controllers to connect with a power station, generator, or battery pack, which helps simplify the entire setup significantly.
All you need to do now is just plugging it into any Goal Zero solar generator. And done!
Contrast to its impressive performance, the charging time of Boulder 100 has no highlight, averagely within 4 to 7 hours. However, the good news is you can chain it with other compatible solar panels, therefore, the process is shortened a lot.
|Goal Zero Boulder 100 Briefcase Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
40.0 x 26.75 x 1.75 in
will charge in 10-20 hours depending on solar conditions
With a simpler charging process and high efficiency, Goal Zero Boulder 100 is the best solar panel for a power station that will completely take your off-grid experience to a higher level.
Best For Dry Camping: HQST 100 Watt Foldable Solar Panel
- An aluminum stand for lightness, portability, and function
- Built to be waterproof, heat resistant, and durable to last longer
- Provide better control to avoid overheating and other dangers
- No wiring harness instructions
- The Velcro straps used to secure the controller to the underside of the product don’t work well
- The wire with battery clips is slightly short
The HQST 100W can charge any 12V and 24V batteries more accurate than other competitors.
It highlights an integrated temperature sensor to auto-account for correct temperature compensation, therefore, reducing the risks of overheating or firing.
Unlike most 100W foldable panels out there, this model comes with an HQST 20A PWM Controller with LCD display.
This protects the unit from overcharging your batteries but still remain fast charge time while dry camping (it takes around 4 hours for a battery from 75% to full charge in good sunlight in our test).
We’re also glad to realize its stand is built to be stronger and more practical to handle the elements as well as offer optimum angles in the sun.
|HQST 100 Watt Foldable Solar Panel Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
12V & 24V
Unfolded: 40.0 x 27.3 x 1.5 in
Folded: 20.0 x 27.3 x 3.1 in
Sturdy aluminum stands, and a handy traveling bag
Operating temperature: -25℃ to +55℃
Specifically designed for dry camping with better control and safety, the HQST 100W is a reliable lifeline of any travel, allowing you to enjoy the trip better.
Best For RVs: GVSHINE Solar Panel Lighting Kit
Super-lightweight that can be mounted anywhere, even on a curved roofCome in full accessories needed for easy and quick setupProvide multiple outlets to be compatible with more appliances
The switches are too close to the battery
The GVSHINE solar panel is a great choice for RV owners to prolong their recreational vehicle batteries.
You might love this kit because it comes in full accessories needed that you don’t need to find anything else for the setup.
Another big bonus is its lightness. GVSHINE Solar Panel Kit weighs just 9.9 pounds - very lightweight – to be easily mounted anywhere, even on a curved roof. This is quite good news for those RVs or other recreational vehicles featuring irregular surfaces.
|GVSHINE Solar Panel Lighting Kit Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
7.1 x 4.3 x 3.1 inches
IP65 waterproof grade
If you prefer an ultra-lightweight yet functional solar panel lighting kit for RV usage, our highest recommendation is this GVSHINE.
Best For Boat: ECO-WORTHY 100 W Watt Portable Kits
- Constructed from corrosion-resistant aluminum frame and 3.2mm anti-reflection coated glass for superior durability to last longer
- Feature a suitcase-style design with a strong handle for easier transportation
- Can bear strong wind and snow load efficiently to work in different conditions
- As the panels can be faced out, you should be careful to not damage its surface
- Lack of some information on the solar controller
- The legs are short
If you need a lightweight, affordable, and easy-to-mount solar panel kit for a boat, go with the ECO-WORTHY 100W.
It highlights a suitcase-style design which is very compact when folded for easier transportation. Along with that is a strong handle for leveraged portability degrees.
A notable thing is our testers were strongly impressed by how durable this product during the tests.
It’s constructed from a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame to not only handle slow loads and high winds but also saltwater to last longer. Soup up for its durability is the additional 3.2mm anti-reflection coating on its safety glass.
|ECO-WORTHY 100 W Watt Portable Kits Specifications|
Nominal system voltage
30.7 x 22.1 x 5.1 inches
Pre-installed controller and Pre-wired for 12V battery charging
Pre-installed 15 Amp PWM solar charger controller
Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame
By excelling the durability degree to be corrosion-resistant, waterproof, and wind-proof, you can count on the ECO-WORTHY 100W to use on any boat trips.
How To Choose The Best Foldable Solar Panels?
- The measure of a solar panel’s power output is watt per square inch (or W/in²).
- And this factor is dependent on the quality and size of the solar panel itself. For instance, a small-sized poly solar panel setup can produce 10 W/in² every day – enough for charging tablets and smartphones.
- But if your needs are more, like up to 50 and 60 W/in², a big-sized solar panel is probably what to choose.
- Or, you can go for small, foldable solar panels featuring extension capabilities. Many models nowadays are designed to capably offer up to 350-400 W/in² per day – enough to charge a camping stove or an RV’s battery.
Types Of Solar Panels
- Getting to know the difference between crystalline and thin-film crystalline solar panels is a top priority when it comes to choosing the best foldable solar panels.
- Thin-film solar panels
- If you’re living in partial shade to medium sunny weather, thin-film solar panels are the best bet as they can work well with such conditions. In turn, they will deliver fewer power wattages per square inch.
- Best for: Camping in high latitudes or in those areas where the sky is overcast frequently.
- Crystalline solar panels
- In comparison, this type works more efficiently, implying for the higher power wattage per square inch it produces in general. While that is the good side, you have to ensure strong and direct sunlight to have it worked such efficiently.
- Best for: Areas where the amount of daily sunlight is from medium to high.
- Bonus: Take note that crystalline solar panels are divided into two categories – the polycrystalline and the monocrystalline solar panels.
- The biggest difference between them is the size and energy output efficiency. If you can afford the monocrystalline, invest in it because not only is it compact but also hugely efficient in power output.
- But for budget-minded people, the polycrystalline is a better choice because of its affordability even though the performance of this kind isn’t as efficient as its counterpart.
Which Brands Make The Best Foldable Solar Panels?
- Jackery was founded in 2012 by a previous Apple battery engineer. With unsurpassed manufacturing expertise and R&D, it’s sooner become a strategic partner of the environmental protection in the US to specialize in manufacturing green power solutions for outdoor usages.
- Rockpals is another worth-mentioning brand in the outdoor industry, such as power stations, solar panels, generators, and more with an emphasis on quality innovation as well as aesthetic design.
- Created in 2007 but until two years later that Goal Zero was officially launched as a business by Robert Workman.
- While being well-known as a reliable brand in power and solar panel manufacturing, Goal Zero is admired for many human activities, such as the donation of lighting kits and more for Japan earthquake and Tsunami.
- A bit younger than other counterparts, HQST started its business on two famous online commercial websites – eBay and Amazon. This brand focuses on solar panel products only and very sooner, it has gained many compliments from worldwide customers for the quality and innovation at a cost-efficient price range.
- Started in 2002, ECO-WORTHY might be the longest-standing brand in this list. It’s both a manufacturer and a wholesaler of solar panels as well as other renewable energy products.
How long should a portable solar panel last?
Note: This is also the industry standard warranty provided by most manufacturers but in fact, your solar panel can last even longer.
What can a 300-watt solar panel run?
In general, 300 watts output is quite huge to afford many charging tasks, such as a 150Ah battery, laptops, tablets, smartphones, TV, and fans.
Can I plug a solar panel into an outlet?
If that is a standard, dedicated outlet, you can rest the heart to plug your solar panel into it. Otherwise, consider using a grid-tie inverter to connect between your solar panel and an outlet for safety.
How much is a foldable solar panel?
A hard question, really!
This factor depends on the quality, size, type, style, and power output of the foldable solar panel you intend to use. In general, it can be somewhere within $50 to $300.
How many amps does a 100-watt solar panel put out?
Per peak sun hour, a 100W solar panel can averagely produce 6 amps or 30 amps/day.
Remember, your needs are the paramount factor to simplify this daunting task.
Ask yourself first about the purpose of use you’re about to do with the solar panel, how much energy needed, and your budget.
That’s it for now! Tell us which is the best foldable solar panel in your opinion out of the top 6 above? We’d like to hear it from you!