Is finding the best walkie talkie for hiking a challenge for you? Yes, many products, features, and prices you need to consider.
Let me give you a hand. Below are amazing 6 walkie talkies for your consideration.
Here are the best walkie talkies for hiking (May 2021 Update):
- Best Overall: Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkies
- Most Durable: Cobra ACXT1035R FLT Walkie Talkies
- Best For Inexperienced Hikers: MOICO Long-Range Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies
- Longest Battery Life: Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkie
- User-Friendly: Retevis RT22 Walkie Talkies Rechargeable Hands-Free UHF Channel
- Best For Short Hiking: Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios
|Top 6 Best Walkie Talkies For Hiking|
|Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkies||Read Our Review|
|Cobra ACXT1035R FLT Walkie Talkies||Read Our Review|
Best For Inexperienced Hikers
|MOICO Long-Range Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies||Read Our Review|
Longest Battery Life
|Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkie||Read Our Review|
|Retevis RT22 Walkie Talkies Rechargeable Hands-Free UHF Channel||Read Our Review|
Best For Short Hiking
|Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkies
- JIS4 Waterproof
- Great size
- Excellent range
- Good volume
- Great battery life
- Good price
Midland - GXT1000VP4 is the best FRS/GMRS option. It features 50 channels with crisp communication and great volume. This unit can reach up to 36 miles in open areas.
Thanks to Easy Voice and Sound Activation Transmission (eVOX) with 9 sensitivity levels, communication in long-distance has never been so easy. The Midland comes with NOAA weather scan that can alert you to harsh weather.
What’s more, this unit can operate in whisper mode and silent operation.
This is a JIS4-waterproof, shielding your walkie talkies from light rain and splashing water.
|Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkies Specifications|
5 1.2 NiMH AAA batteries
4 x 2.4 x 1.4 in
Midland - GXT1000VP4, 50 Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkies bring great bang for your buck for those who need clear, crisp long-range communication.
Most Durable: Cobra ACXT1035R FLT Walkie Talkies
- JIS7/IPX7 waterproof
- Rechargeable NiMH batteries
- Compatible to FRS/GMRS
- Nice looking
- The microphone volume isn’t impressive.
Cobra ACXT1035R will upgrade your outdoor adventure to a new satisfactory level. This unit offers instant access to 22 channels and NOAA weather alerts.
The Rewind-Say-Again® can automatically record 20 of communications. The Cobra features a backlit LCD display, LED flashlight and SOS flashing. It is perfect for safe outdoor communication. Other features to name are battery level indicator, key lock, hand-free VOX operation, and power saver feature.
This is a nice-looking and durable unit. However, some people are disappointed with the microphone volume.
|Cobra ACXT1035R FLT Walkie Talkies Specifications|
6x AAA NiMH
1.5 x 2.4 x 7.5 in
Cobra ACXT1035R FLT Walkie Talkies is a high-value and durable pack. It is no doubt a great companion for your next hike or camping adventure.
Best For Inexperienced Hikers: MOICO Long-Range Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies
- Great for outdoors
- Clear signals
- Clear sound
- Simple to use
- Not super bright flashlight.
Any inexperienced users out there? MOICO Long-Range, Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies is ideal for beginners. This unit features 22 GMRS/FRS channels and 99 sets of CTCSS. It also supports two-way radios in the 5-mile communication range.
Within the range and little to no obstructions, the MOICO walkie talkies offer clear signals and sound. The design is user-friendly. It will take you less than a minute to figure out how to use this unit.
It comes with a backlit LCD screen, and a built-in LED torch. The torch isn’t very helpful in the dark though.
|MOICO Long-Range Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies Specifications|
UHF 462.-467 MHz
7.5 x 2.4 1.5 inches
MOICO Long-Range Two-Way Radios Walkie Talkies are a perfect gift for children or beginners. Simple and powerful, it is a great way to start your long-distance communication.
Longest Battery Life: Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkie
- Rugged design
- Better sensitive
- Great sound transmission
- Great battery life
- This 2W isn’t going to transmit far.
If you are looking for a pair of a walkie talkie that never runs out of batteries, Radioddity GA-2S is the answer. Thanks to the battery saving mode, the pair offers 92 hours of standby time.
This unit is very compact and rugged. Each is well-built enough to stand tough fieldwork, warehousing or disaster relief. The radio works well with a 1W audio output speaker, leaving a crystal clear sound transmission.
The Radioddity GA-2S is compatible with the air acoustic earpiece. With the low power output, the transmission distance is only 3 miles.
|Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkie Specifications|
1500Mah Li-ion battery
1.18 x 2.36 x 4.72 in
Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkie provides a simple solution for pleasant communication between the security team, fire department, kitchen staff or road trips.
User-Friendly: Retevis RT22 Walkie Talkies Rechargeable Hands-Free UHF Channel
- Easy to use
Retevis RT22 is no doubt the user-friendliest walkie talkies. The unit offers a lot of useful features such as scan function, emergency alarm, battery save function, and squelch. It is also dust-proof, suitable to work in warehouses.
It is small, compact and super lightweight. The unit features 16 channels and can reach up to 2.5 miles. Retevis is easy to use and charge. You just need to put them back on the dock. The charging time is quick and battery life is long.
|Retevis RT22 Walkie Talkies Rechargeable Hands-Free UHF Channel Specifications|
1000mAh Li-ion battery
7.4 x 2.7 x 6.9 inches
Retevis RT22 Walkie Talkies Rechargeable Hands-Free UHF Channel is suitable for many settings, from restaurants to schools, events and of course outdoor trips.
Best For Short Hiking: Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios
- Solid built
- Works great for short distance
- Great sound quality
Should I use walkie talkies for short hiking? The answer is yes! Arcshell provides the best solution for this.
This unit is small and handy. It features 16 pre-programmed channels. For every 2.5 hours of fully charged, the pair offers uninterrupted conversation for 8 to 96 hours! Depending on the terrain, the voice transmission can reach as far as 5 miles (without obstructions).
This pair of walkie talkies are very well-built. The sound quality is clear.
|Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios Specifications|
1500mAh Rechargeble Li-ion Battery
4.3 x 2 x 1 inches
For short hiking trips with hills and trees, nothing better than a pair Way Radios with Earpiece 2 Pack UHF 400-470Mhz Walkie Talkies to accompany you on the way.
How To Choose The Best Walkie Talkies For Hiking?
Choosing the right radio frequencies is essential. There are 4 types of radio frequencies in the market: UHF, VHF, GMRS, and FRS. So what are they? And how do you know which is suitable for your needs?
UHF stands for ultra-high frequency. Walkie talkies that adopt UHF radio are great for short wavelengths, allowing users to communicate with obstacles.
VHF covers a larger distance with minimum power. It is normally suitable for obstacle-free environments.
FRS is ideal to use in close range. It can reach 2 miles depending on the environment.
GMRS is quite similar to VHS, allowing users to cover a longer distance of communication.
- So how far a walkie talkie can reach? In most cases, you will get an impressive number.
- However, keep in mind that most walkie talkies cite their range in obstruction-free environments.
- Many factors affect the range in real conditions, including radio interference.
- If privacy is important for you, you should look for two-way radios that can offer both digital and analog frequencies.
- For every watt of power, a walkie talkie can cover a mile. With higher power, your unit can cover a higher range.
- However, elements such as weather, obstructions can affect the range regardless of the power.
- There are two popular sources of power: lithium-ion and NiMH batteries. The former is famous for high capacity while the later needs less time to charge.
Which Brands Make The Best Walkie Talkies For Hiking?
- With over 50 years in the field, Midland is proud to be the industry leader in radio communication. Their products incorporate a lot of innovative technology and features.
- Cobra focuses on making walkie talkies for different settings. Their line of products for outdoor activity is designed with great materials and careful construction.
- MOICO is the newbie, but they know how to navigate their way in the market. Eventually, people notice MOICO walkie talkies for their affordability, simplicity, and quality.
- For folks who value quality over price, Radioddity is a way to go. The company offers two categories: consumer and business radios. Their products are exceptionally easy to use, lightweight and durable.
- You will surprise to scroll down the list of products from Retevis. The company offers the most affordable walkie talkies in the market. And the price range is so far apart, you can find a pair that costs over $100 and another one that is only $20.
- Retevis provides solutions for many fields, from business to outdoor, kids and beginners.
- Arcshell is a young company that wows to provide the best satisfaction and high-quality products. Their walkie talkies are known for being rugged and well-built. They accommodate a wide range of units at relatively affordable prices.
How far can walkie talkies go?
Walkie talkies adopt radio waves to transfer sound. In ideal conditions, radio waves go on a straight line. Sometimes they can penetrate walls and other obstructions, but this isn’t always the case.
Sometimes, obstructions block radio waves, causing cracking or even lost signals. So how far walkie talkies can go?
For example, you buy a pair that is believed to reach up to 30 miles. However, after a few times, you notice that the unit can never reach that ideal distance. It can only in a large football stadium or where that has little to no obstruction.
It is very difficult to provide a solid answer. To know the range of your unit, get to know your environment or the topography first. From there, you can have a realistic idea of how far your unit can reach.
How do you use the walkie talkie in the forest?
Using a walkie talkie in the forest is no different than using it in a building or school events. The only difference is probably the range.
In a highly dense forest, the range is often short, so you need to stay close to catch the message from your partner. A 30-mile-range unit can only work well within 2 to 3 miles.
What is the longest range of walkie talkie?
Since many factors influence the range, it is difficult to give a realistic number. You can find a unit that can reach up to 50 miles in ideal environments. However, in reality, the atmospheric conditions will limit the coverage down to a mile or even less.
You can also find strong and powerful walkie talkies that maintain their range pretty well. Of course, you need to pay extra dollars to own those.
Can different walkie talkies communicate with each other?
In theory, yes. If walkie talkies function on the same frequency, they can talk to each other, regardless of the brands. For most commercial walkie talkies, a standard set of frequencies is used, so that consumers can communicate easily. Most units support FRS/GMRS.
However, this isn’t true with private business radios.
Do walkie talkies work in the mountains?
Yes, walkie talkies can work perfectly in some conditions. You need to double-check the frequency and power to make sure. Most walkie talkies would be too sensitive to obstructions like rocks or trees.
However, in mountain peaks and along the valley, your unit still works very well.
The best walkie talkie for hiking not only maintain communication with your partners but also enhances your hiking experience. The use and adaptation of walkie talkies are influenced by many elements such as weather, power, frequencies and so on, which makes finding the right unit daunting. However, I believe that this article has given you adequate information, guideline, and recommendations. Have fun shopping!