Are you searching for the best beginner road bike under $500?
Let our team of professional road bike testers give you some top-notch recommendations. The 6 options below were extensively tested for months in terms of built kit, design, and overall performance. Above all, they cost under $500 so you don’t have to spend a fortune on it.
Here are the best beginner road bikes under $500 (Jan 2021 Update):
- Best Overall: Vilano R2 Commuter
- Best For Heavy People: Eurobike Road Bike EURXC550
- Best For Small-Framed Women: Trinx TEMPO1.0
- Best For High Degree Hills: Vilano Shadow 2.0
- Sleek And Stylish: Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000
- Best For Tough Conditions: SAVADECK Carbon Road Bike, Warwinds3.0
|Top 6 Best Beginner Road Bikes Under $500|
|Vilano R2 Commuter||Read Our Review|
Best For Heavy People
|Eurobike Road Bike EURXC550||Read Our Review|
Best For Small-Framed Women
|Trinx TEMPO1.0||Read Our Review|
Best For High Degree Hills
|Vilano Shadow 2.0||Read Our Review|
Sleek And Stylish
|Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000||Read Our Review|
Best For Tough Conditions
|SAVADECK Carbon Road Bike, Warwinds3.0||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Vilano R2 Commuter
- Ride with ease, safety, and control on different terrains – the 21-speed drivetrain
- Stop smoothly and make no noise – A050 thumb shifters
- Lightweight yet durable – 6061 double-butted aluminum frame
- Not come with holes to attach a rear rack
- Don’t include tools
- Don’t have a kickstand
The Vilano R2 Commuter is an excellent entry-level road bike for people who are just getting into cycling without the large monetary commitment.
It is easy to assemble, lightweight and looks classier than the price tag shows.
There is a 21-speed drivetrain to flexibly adjust for specific riding terrains. They’re very easy to shift, work precisely, and make no noise, which is a big bonus. The riding experience is incredibly smooth and full of control.
We’re really amazed that it isn’t lacking in performance and the frame is durable and endurable enough to take an enormous amount of abuse from an inexperienced rider.
|Vilano R2 Commuter Specifications|
6061 Double Butted Aluminum Frame
29.5” – 32”
700c x 25c
21 Speed Drivetrain
A050 Thumb Shifters
6061 Double Butted Aluminum Frame
If a multiple-gear starter road bike is your jam or you just want something affordable yet durable for daily short-distance commuting, check out the Vilano R2.
Best For Heavy People: Eurobike Road Bike EURXC550
- The brake system is reliable, long-lasting, and gives strong fasting stopping power – disc brake system
- High endurance – heavy-duty steel frame & Shimano shifters and derailleurs
- Multiple color options to choose from
- Cheap pedals
For heavy riders, the frame is the single most valuable attribute for a starter road bike. In this department, Eurobike EURXC550 blows away the competition.
It is crafted from heavy-duty steel frame for a maximum loading capacity of 300 pounds. Shifters and derailleurs are from Shimano - the reputable manufacturer that’s known for top-notch quality and decent longevity.
In addition, it uses a disc brake system rather than the traditional V-brake like other counterparts at the same price point. This change helps the bike stronger, lasts longer, and gives faster-stopping power so, it is not just easy to use but also controllable.
|Eurobike Road Bike EURXC550 Specifications|
Max weight up to 300lbs.
Heavy-duty steel frame
Shimano derailleurs and shifter
Disc Brake System
The Eurobike EURXC550 is our top recommendation for heavy guys under 300 pounds who want a cheap entry-level road bike but durable without compromising the speed.
Best For Small-Framed Women: Trinx TEMPO1.0
- Slim-profile & lightweight - Cst 700C*25C Colorful Tires and Hydroformed AI6061 Aluminium Alloy Frame
- Shift smoothly and comfortable to change shifting - Shimano A050 Shifter
- The rear derailleur is noisy
While constructed with top-notch components for exceptional endurance and long-lasting durability, Trinx has trimmed down this road bike to be slimmer and lighter for small-framed women.
It features a Hydroformed AI6061 aluminum frame and weighs only 25 pounds.
The Shimano TZ50 rear derailleur and A050 shifter give you a really smooth shifting as well as comfort to change with your thumbs.
The 700Cx26C tires are Cst Czar, look skinny but perform smoothly on city roads.
One last bonus is the Winzip brake system, which is easy to adjust and has nice stopping power.
|Trinx TEMPO1.0 Specifications|
AI6061 Aluminium Alloy Frame
Cst 700C*25C Colorful
Cst 700C*25C Colorful Tires
25lbs Net Weight
Winzip Alloy Brakes
Hydroformed AI6061 Aluminium Alloy Frame
Designed to be lighter and slimmer with no compromise of durability and solid feel, the Trinx TEMPO1.0 makes it to the top choice for small-framed female riders.
Best For High Degree Hills: Vilano Shadow 2.0
- Full of control & powerful – Shimano brake levers/shifters
- Good vibration reduction & shock absorption – big wheels
- Pedals and saddles are low-end
- You still need a well-padded pair of riding gloves for ultimate vibration reduction
When looking for a good road bike for steep hills, we generally prefer something that is not only powerful to climb up high degree hill but also easy to control braking to avoid accidents. This model focuses mostly on its precise Shimano shifting and brake levers but it nails it.
It gave us all shift gears as wanted so that no issues relating to the chain dropping or going up when we shifted. In other words, it has no lags and we’ve got the easiest time going uphills.
On the other hand, the Shimano STI brake levers give the bicycle a compact drivetrain, which leads to superior performance.
The Vilano Shadow 2.0 is also designed with good vibration reduction to keep your focus on riding on rough terrains with the best comfort.
|Vilano Shadow 2.0 Specifications|
6061 Double Butted Aluminum Aero Frame
CST 700c x 25c
Wheelset: 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Side
Fork: 700c 1 1/8" Threadless
STI Integrated Brake Lever/Shifters
At under $350, the Vilano Shadow 2.0 is a bang-for-buck entry road bike that you can rest the heart to ride uphill with minimal vibration and maximum control.
Sleek And Stylish: Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000
- Look cool and stylish – 3 color options & unique graphics
- Fashionable and sleek – double-wall aluminum rims
- Ride with speed and safety - 16 Speed Shimano 2400 Shifting system
- A bit heavy
The Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000 is a top-of-the-line product for people who are in need of a sleek and stylish entry load bike.
While featuring uniquely cool graphics, it gives you three color options to choose from – white, red, and blue. The double-wall aluminum rims even give it more fashionable looking.
Regardless, the bike is smooth, easy to adjust, and minimal in assembly.
The fact that it arrives with 85% assembled and your task is setting up the front wheels, air them up, adding seat, handlebar, and pedals. With all the instructions included, the installation won’t take you much time.
|Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000 Specifications|
Light Aluminum Frame
3 color options
Built with a great balance of quality and design, the Eurobike Road Bike EURXC7000 makes sure that you’ll ride safely it in style.
Best For Tough Conditions: SAVADECK Carbon Road Bike, Warwinds3.0
- Extremely lightweight yet durable - TORAY T800 carbon fiber seat post, fork, and frame
- Comfortable and look classy - aerodynamically contoured seat tube, seat post, and stays
- Powerful torsion rigidity – feature a tapered head tube and a full internal cable routing
- Cheap pedals
- The sticker is put on the frame
The SAVADECK Warwinds3.0 is one of the lightest road bikes existing and yet, it is built very durably, which is a big thank you to the TORAY T800 carbon fiber seat post, fork, and frame.
It highlights a tapered head tube and a full internal cable routing which are also the two key elements offering more powerful torsion rigidity with clean airflow over the entire bike. In other words, they help you handle better on most terrains, including the rough conditions.
SAVADECK also pays strong attention to detail in the model, which is clearly shown through the aerodynamically contoured seat tube, seat post, and stays that look and feel like a $2000 model.
|SAVADECK Carbon Road Bike, Warwinds3.0 Specifications|
T800 Carbon Fiber Frame
Fully internal cable routing
Fully internal cable routing
TORAY T800 Carbon Fiber Frame
Fork, and Seat post
Designed with strength and powerful torsion rigidity, the SAVADECK Warwinds3.0 is a shining contender for rough conditions.
How To Choose The Best Beginner Road Bikes Under $500?
Frame And Forks
- Regardless of how much money you’re willing to spend on a road bike, always make sure the highest quality of these two components. Unlike transmissions, tires, and wheels which can be eventually replaced once they wear out, frame and forks stay on the bike for its entire lifetime.
- Start with the frame!
- It should be durable and sturdy yet lightweight (20 to 30 pounds). At under $500, these types of frame material are the most popular and reliable to choose from titanium, steel, carbon, or aluminum.
The strongest and longest-lasting
One of the lightest
Comfortable to ride
Provide a sprightly ride and electric handling
People who have a budget on the table
Deliver plenty of strength
Good at shock absorption
Combine greatly between comfort and responsiveness
Heavier than carbon fiber and aluminum
Can rust if treated carelessly
Absorb shock decently
Can be built into a beautiful shape
Can be manipulated essentially in endless ways
Extremely lightweight, stiff, and durable
People who want a superlight road bike
Provide wonderful lively riding experience
Good at shock absorption
The lightest material
Can be shaped aerodynamically
Racing and time trialing
- Think about the forks, they should be strong and mounted at a steep angle. The two most popular material options are carbon and steel.
- As a beginner, you’ll want your bike to have the ability to stop safely even in the highest degree hills.
- Caliper is the common choice of brake for road bikes, out of many types out there because it delivers gentler stopping power to not shock you anytime pulling the brake. Caliper is mounted centrally above the wheel and when you pull the brake, it will move inwards the rim and stop the bike.
Which Brands Make The Best Beginner Road Bikes Under $500?
- Whether it’s about road bikes for starters, pro riders, or anyone in-between, Vilano is a notable brand name. It’s been in the industry for nearly 13 years and with such in-depth expertise, their products are endorsed by many experts for both quality and performance at a highly competitive price range.
- Founded in 1992, Trinx is considered one of the biggest Chinese brands of bicycles. Their products have been sold widely in over 40 countries up to now, and as of 2015, they have owned four big headquarters located in the Philippines, Iran, Russia, and Taiwan.
- Another famous bicycle brand is SAVADECK, specializing in E-bike, folding bike, road bike, and mountain bike. Their products are appreciated for decent quality and innovative design.
Does cycling give you a flat stomach?
Yes, it does.
As estimated, it can burn nearly 600 calories/hour of vigorous cycling riding.
Is cycling better than running?
In comparison, cycling is gentler on your body than running, which means you might be able to ride longer or faster than you can run
How much does a decent road bike cost?
Should I get a road bike or gravel bike?
It depends on where you’re going to ride it.
A road bike works best to ride on the pavement while a gravel bike is good for rough roads, like towpaths, forest roads, and gravel tracks.
Does an expensive bike make a difference?
Yes, it does. But the difference is not enormous. It will be probably more durable, less rattle, and lighter than the lower-end model.
As stated, an expensive road bike isn’t compulsory for starters on their first step into this path. A lower-end one (with no compromises of quality) always sounds more reasonable.
We hope these in-depth analyses and assessments will help you find out the best beginner road bike under $500. Thanks for reading!