Our tester team of RV-loving travelers put these deep cycle batteries through months of in-depth, side-by-side testing at the campsite.
We ranked and picked for different categories, from the multi-purpose, heavy-duty use to long reserve capacity.
And finally, come up to these 6 best deep cycle batteries for RV:
Here are the best deep cycle batteries for rv (Jul 2021 Update):
- Best Overall: Odyssey PC925
- Durable: Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M
- Long Reserve Capacity: Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M
- Best For Heavy-Duty Use: VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857
- Versatile: Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah -
- Multi-Purpose: Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah
|Top 6 Best Deep Cycle Batteries For RV|
|Odyssey PC925||Read Our Review|
|Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M||Read Our Review|
Long Reserve Capacity
|Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M||Read Our Review|
Best For Heavy-Duty Use
|VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857||Read Our Review|
|Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah -||Read Our Review|
|Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Odyssey PC925
- Keep high stability in any weather condition - Operating temperatures from -40-degree C to 45-degree C
- Time-saving – fully recharged in just 4 - 6 hours
- Deliver extended runs – 70% longer cycle life than conventional deep cycle batteries
- Can’t be for sale in Catalina Island
- You can’t return it
With the Odyssey PC925 RV Battery, you’ll have years of good luck.
Despite the small, lightweight design, it works powerfully and recovers really fast from starting the RV. It gives no leakage like the standard batteries and has long stability, especially in the scorching hot weather or the coldest days.
There are a lot of models to order.
But commonly, compared to the conventional deep cycle batteries, it has 70% more the starting power, up to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge, meaning for extended runs.
Fast recharge is another big bonus. It’s fully charged in 4 or 6 hours.
|Odyssey PC925 Specifications|
11.4 x 10.3 x 8.3 inches
Cold Crank Amp
Operating temperatures from -40 degree Celsius to 45 degree Celsius
Longer cycle life
If you’ve been looking for a super-strong RV deep cycle battery that efficiently eliminates electrical gremlins and slow starts, pick this.
Durable: Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M
- Superior durability and longevity – built with 15x more vibration resistance than usual
- Run stably and extendedly
- Can be tilted or laid on its sides - “no-spill” feature
- Some customers complain about its poor packaging
For whichever environment/application, you can’t beat the durability and ruggedness of these Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M batteries.
They’re well-made and work as powerfully as described. In fully charged, they can provide more power in an RV while operating various device chargers, lights, and electrical components without the engine running.
Compared to the ordinary deep cycle batteries, they are much lighter and smaller but come out more amp hours, up to 55.
What’s worth mentioning is it comes in 15 times more vibration-resistant capability than most models, keeping it last many years longer.
Our team testers particularly like the “no-spill” feature which allows the unit laid or tilted on their side.
|Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M Specifications|
10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall
Cold Crank Amp
Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
Reserve capacity of 120 minutes
Featuring 15 times more vibration-resistant capability, the Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M batteries will keep you worry-free about its durability whenever taking it out.
Long Reserve Capacity: Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M
- Hold a charge extremely well after a long period of inactivity - low self-discharge rate
- Deliver the most constant performance - a reserve capacity of 155 minutes
- Run stably 10 hours with no charge in windy weather and more in calm condition - Last 40% longer than the regular type 31 deep cycle batteries
- The most expensive
Price aside, the Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M is definitely a well-worth upgrade for your RV.
Designed with 15x higher vibration resistance and a reserve capacity of 155 minutes (being the deep cycle battery with longest reserve capacity out there), it works consistently regardless of frozen mountain or wave and pothole vibration in the desert.
It also holds charges for a long time thanks to the low self-discharge rate and outlasts the regular type 31 deep cycle batteries by many hours (nearly 40%).
We can run it up to 10 hours in windy weather and 2-3 days without charging in a calm condition.
|Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M Specifications|
12 13/16" x 6 1/2" x 9 3/8" tall
Cold Crank Amp
Reserve capacity of 155 minutes
Optimal starting power
Low self-discharge rate
Expensive, heavy, but well-worth, the Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M gives you a reserve capacity of 155 minutes – also the longest compared to other models, making it the best deep cycle battery with most constant performance.
Best For Heavy-Duty Use: VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857
- Easy to use – feature maintenance-free design
- Decent capability to recover after continuous deep discharges - Heavy Duty Grids
- Compact and lightweight
- Wish the customer services were better
Much smaller than any deep cycle battery but pack a bunch, this model – with its marvelous power – is a big asset in a small RV.
It runs continuously and powerfully within 4-9 hours with up to 60% depth of discharge on 40-pound trolling motors before starting to lose power. In comparison, it is pretty much the same performance as a full-sized wet cell but considerably lighter and more convenient.
VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857 also impressed us by its decent capability to recover after constant deep discharges.
The tough tank keeps its plates tightly packed, sealed, and protected, making them completely maintenance-free, non-hazardous and non-spillable. For heavy-duty use, this is the best.
|VMAXTANKS VMAX V35-857 Specifications|
L=7.7" W=5" H=6.1"
Cold Crank Amp
Maintenance Free Operation
Heavy Duty Grids
Looking for something ultra-rugged, non-spillable and non-hazardous for heavy-duty use? This is the shiniest contender!
Versatile: Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah -
- Prevent hazards – spill-proof and shock resistance construction
- Easy to use - SLA/AGM maintenance-free
- The connection hardware is short
- Large and heavy
We are pleasantly surprised by the consistent power and reliability of this Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah battery.
It is built with the spill-proof, maintenance-free operation, 100 amp hours, and a reverse capacity of 165 minutes. Seem to be holding up very well so far and maintain constantly between 25% to 30% during bad weather.
The unit is powerful enough to let you get a week of boondocking out of this or two days of dry camping. All-in-all, this is a versatile option for different use.
|Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah - Specifications|
12.17 inches x 6.61 inches x 9.16 inches.
Cold Crank Amp
Resists shocks and vibration
SLA/AGM maintenance free
Spill proof battery
Constructed with durability and decent performance, the Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah is a great choice for versatile use.
Multi-Purpose: Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah
- Offer stable performance no matter of the weather condition - Wide Operation Temperature Range
- Deliver 5x lower self-discharge rate than other flooded models - Made of high purity materials
- Provide high discharge currents and low internal resistance – feature specially treated plate grids and proprietary quinary alloy plates
- The customer services should be better
The Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah is an excellent RV battery that works well with any solar system.
It provides decent discharge performance with stable battery capacity at under freezing temperature, all thanks to the advanced electrolyte formula.
Combining with the high-purity materials, it has a super-low self-discharge rate – under 3%, which is 5x less than other flooded competitors. What we love the most is the plate grids and proprietary quinary alloy plates as they increase the discharge currents up to 10 times the battery capacity.
Therefore, it comes in low internal resistance and unbeatable discharge performance.
|Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah Specifications|
13.1 x 6.9 x 8.6 inch
Cold Crank Amp
Wide Operation Temperature Range
Long Shelf Life
Excellent Discharge Performance
The Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12 Volt 100Ah with an emphasis on decent weatherproof capability, discharge performance, and low self-discharge rate is a nice choice for multi-purpose.
How To Choose The Best Deep Cycle Batteries For RV?
Power At Different Temperatures
- Before selecting any deep cycle battery for your RV, always check if it is able to deliver enough power at extremes of temperatures.
- Make sure that your battery is compatible with high-temperature areas, especially if you are going to stay in a hot and humid area. Choose one that can sustain a temp of 35 degrees as a minimum.
- In terms of low temperature, this is like an assurance for you when RV traveling during the winter.
- It ensures the consistent power supply even in a frost-bite environment.
Depth Of Discharge
- This feature is expressed commonly in the form of % and indicates the specific amount of power discharged by the deep cycle battery.
- The deeper the individual cycles, the fewer the cycles provided in total.
- From our experience, we suggest going for a model featuring a depth of discharge for optimal life cycle when followed strictly.
- The measuring unit of an RV deep cycle battery is Ah, standing for Ampere hours.
- “Capacity” means the amount of current the deep cycle battery can provide over a certain time period. For example, if a battery indicates 150Ah capacity, that means it can provide 150 amperes per one hour.
- There is a basic rule of thumb: The higher the capacity, the more the power stored inside it and the longer the serving time. In other words, the higher, the better.
- But at the same time, notice that the higher capacity leads to the heavier and bulkier it will be.
- Make sure to keep these two elements balance to not cramp up the storage space of your RV whereas not lack of power needed.
- Choose a battery that provides enough power for your specific energy requirements without going down to 60% or 50% of the total capacity.
Which Brands Make The Best Deep Cycle Batteries For RV?
- Odyssey is a wholly-owned subsidiary of EnerSys – a 1999-founded American company specializing in batteries for multiple applications. Their deep cycle batteries are commended a lot for the enormous cranking power supplied.
- With over 40 years in the battery-manufacturing industry, Optima has been one of the leading brands that stand out for technological innovation and engineering for unstoppable power.
- This has been a reliable go-to choice for lots of RV-ers worldwide. VMAXTANKS specializes in producing deep cycle batteries for heavy-duty use. It stands out for unparalleled deep cycle capabilities and high capacity with decent performance.
What is an RV deep cycle battery?
A deep cycle battery for RV is specifically designed for deep discharging and repeated recharging. It commonly features thicker plates.
How to charge an RV battery with solar panels?
Step 1: Connect the solar panels to the solar connection on the solar controllers.
Step 2: Hook the at inverter to the controllers’ load connection.
Step3: Connect the controller to the RV batteries.
How to charge an RV battery with a generator?
Just plug the RV battery into the generator.
But before doing that, make sure to fully charge your generator as well as unplug other electrical appliances. Examine the electrolyte levels as well.
How to charge RV battery while driving?
Before charging RV battery while driving, you should minimize the voltage drop by combining the batteries using high-amp and high-quality cables.
Or, you can use VCR – a tool that helps to parallel and auto-disconnect the auxiliary to start charging the batteries.
How long does an RV battery last?
That’s the end of this article!
We hope that these extensive reviews have steered you towards the best deep cycle battery for RV that suits most to your needs.
Thanks for reading.