In this guide, we break down the most essential factors to consider the best car camping sleeping bag.
But first, let’s go through this rounded-up list which we didn’t give any leeway throughout our review. So one thing for sure, it’ll benefit you in your decision making:
Here are the best car camping sleeping bags (Jan 2021 Update):
- Best For All-Weather: Coleman All-Weather Multi-Layer Sleeping Bag
- Best For Cold Weather: Coleman Brazos 20 Degree Sleeping Bag
- Best For Big And Tall Adults: Coleman 0°F Mummy Sleeping Bag
- Most Spacious: Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag
- Best For All Seasons: MalloMe Camping Sleeping Bag
- Best For Smaller-Framed People: CANWAY Double Sleeping Bag
|Top 6 Best Car Camping Sleeping Bags|
Best For All-Weather
|Coleman All-Weather Multi-Layer Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
Best For Cold Weather
|Coleman Brazos 20 Degree Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
Best For Big And Tall Adults
|Coleman 0°F Mummy Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
|Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
Best For All Seasons
|MalloMe Camping Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
Best For Smaller-Framed People
|CANWAY Double Sleeping Bag||Read Our Review|
Single Sleeping Bag
Best For All-Weather: Coleman All-Weather Multi-Layer Sleeping Bag
- Feature two separate sleeping bags to provide custom warmth levels for specific seasons
- Each layer is machine washable – easy maintenance
- Very lightweight and easy to store
- A bit short for 6’ guys or higher
- The inner layer is white – easy to get dirty
There is no “best car camping sleeping bag for everyone” but we think the Coleman All-Weather Sleeping Bag is the most versatile for campers who enjoy being in the wilderness almost year-round, in a large temperature range.
It’s rare to find a comfy sleeping bag priced under $100, yet this Coleman is much softer and warmer than a few bags that cost $50 more.
By taking the idea of layers, including two separate, machine washable sleeping bags – one outside of the other, you can flexibly use it in any kind of weather with good warmth.
Aside from that biggest selling point, the genius combination of Thermolock draft tube and hollow Coletherm insulation plays an important role in giving better heat retention whereas preventing heat loss.
In short, it’s warmer with less weight.
|Coleman All-Weather Multi-Layer Sleeping Bag Specifications|
Summer: 60˚F or higher
Warm weather: 45˚F–55˚F
Cold weather: 32˚F-45˚F
79 in. x 36 in.
32.2 x 21.8 x 7.6 inches
All layers are machine washable for effortless cleaning
79 in. x 36 in
For people who want an all-year-round car sleeping bag that comes with custom warmth levels for different seasons without sacrificing the weight, we highly recommend the Coleman All-Weather.
Best For Cold Weather: Coleman Brazos 20 Degree Sleeping Bag
- Make you feel cozy and comfy at a temperature between 20°F to 40°F
- Despite the low price, it’s filled with high-quality polyester with Fiberlock construction for extended lifetime
- Can zip two bags together to make it a double sleeping bag
- Really short for tall guys from 6’ and higher
- A bit bulky
- Slightly difficult to roll back for storage
The adage “you get what you pay for” is so true for nowadays the market, but with some clear exception. The Coleman Brazos is a shining example!
It’s a functional sleeping bag specifically designed for winter use that you simply don’t have to pay a fortune for. It is priced less than $30 but filled with 100% lofted hollow-core polyester to keep you feel warm in temperature between 20°F to 40°F.
The best thing lies in its Fiberlock construction. It keeps you comfortable at any sleeping positions and on top of that, keeping heat excellently no matter how much you shift.
This is also a budget-friendly option for couple of campers. Simply zip two bags together and there you have it – a perfect, cozy double bag to enjoy the night together.
|Coleman Brazos 20 Degree Sleeping Bag Specifications|
5 feet 11 inches
33 x 75 inches
For camping in temperatures between 20°F to 40°F
Fits most campers up to 5 feet 11 inches
Dimensions: 33 x 75 inches
The Coleman Brazos is cozy, comfortable, and functional despite its incredibly low price, making it the best bet for cold weather camping.
Best For Big And Tall Adults: Coleman 0°F Mummy Sleeping Bag
- Particularly designed for tall and big guys of 6’2” or higher
- Provide more sleeping space to save you from feeling restrictive
- Can keep your head warm with no need to wear a beanie
- Hard to get back into the little carry bag for storage
Unlike the two previous options, this Coleman is not a bag for camping in small cars.
It sizes 82 by 32 inches when inflated, which is relatively bulky and oversized. However, thanks for that, it is true pleasure for big and tall guys.
The bag’s diagonal baffles and improved shape makes it feel much more spacious and accommodating than almost traditional mummy bags we had tested. Comfortable down to 0 degrees F, it is the coziest model as well.
The semi-sculpted hood is another bonus. It can be tightened to keep your head warm without a beanie and meanwhile, efficiently seal in heat.
|Coleman 0°F Mummy Sleeping Bag Specifications|
32" x 82"
17.1 x 12.35 x 12 in
32" x 87"
Weighs only 2.8 pounds
Designed to fit most campers up to 6 feet 2 inches tall with advanced mummy shape, this Coleman is our recommendation for big and tall guys.
Double Sleeping Bag
Most Spacious: Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag
- Ultra-large to not only fit tall and big guys but also be roomy for two persons with different sleeping gestures
- Extra warm – perfect for cold sleepers
- Very easy to stuff it back to the carry bag for storage
- Water-resistant so the bag won’t lack its insulation no matter what
- The included pillows are too small for one’s expectation
- Not ideal for winter use
This is the most spacious double sleeping bag in our list that solves a problem that we’ve always tried to solve for couple of campers – the restrictive feeling.
If both of you have different sleeping styles, it will be even more and usually end up with at least one person who can’t get a good sleep during the night.
With this Ohuhu, it features 87” x 59” which are about the size of a queen mattress to be roomy enough for not only two adults but also one dog. The length is also good for a tall guy to feel comfy.
Temperature rated at around 32F to 50F so this is an ideal 3-season sleeping bag.
During our real-world testing, some testers of our team said this was slightly warmer than other similar counterparts, which we think it would be a nice choice for cold sleepers.
|Ohuhu Double Sleeping Bag Specifications|
87 x 59 in
87 x 59 x 2.5 in
87 x 59 x 2.5 inches
Stay warm and cozy even when it's 32F~ 50F
Crafted with high quality water-resistant 210T polyester
A couple with two different sleeping styles? Or with one tall person? With this Ohuhu double sleeping bag, they’re not a problem anymore.
Best For All Seasons: MalloMe Camping Sleeping Bag
- Feature wider temperature range that can be used in many more occasions and kinds of weather
- Highlight S-shaped stitches and 6-sided hexagonal weave for better water resistance -> higher insulation -> feel warmer
- The bottom can be opened for ventilation during the summer
- Not clear instruction
- A bit heavier than expected
- Slightly tighter than the Ohuhu
Though stated as a 3-season sleeping bag, we found this double bag can keep its sleepers toasty warm in near-freezing temperatures.
The double-layer technology is key. In addition to S-shaped stitches on the bag with unique 6-sided hexagonal weave, it delivers superior water resistance for higher insulation.
So unlike the Ohuhu, which is only used from spring to fall, this buddy can be with you during the winter.
When the temperature rapidly drops, there are some headrest drawstrings to keep the bag closer to your head or during hot summer nights, you can open the bottom to let your feet breathe.
|MalloMe Camping Sleeping Bag Specifications|
35F – 85F
86.6 in x 59.05 in
11 x 13 x 19.5 in
Made for extreme weather
Easy to carry & clean
Except for the minus-degree temperatures, the MallowMe Double Bag is a versatile and affordable option to be your camping companion all year round.
Best For Smaller-Framed People: CANWAY Double Sleeping Bag
- Feature 300g cotton filling and flannel liner for extra softness and homely feeling
- Fit nicely a maximum body type of 5.9’, 180 pounds
- Can be turned into 2 singles – flexible usage
- The pillows are lack of neck support
Standard-sized double bags are usually plenty long for small-framed campers and end up with leaving a few inches of wiggle room. This partly decreases the warmth you’ll get and besides, not feels satisfying at all.
Our solution for these guys is the CANWAY double bag, which features slightly smaller dimensions - 85" x 57" – to fit a maximum height of 5.9’, weighing 180 pounds.
The best thing about this product is the additional 300g cotton filling with flannel liner so it’s super soft and restful. Also love that it can be turned into 2 singles in case you camp alone.
|CANWAY Double Sleeping Bag Specifications|
85" X 57"
11 x 13.78"
Provide 2 Pillows
Stay warm and cozy even when it's 42°F
While specifically designed for smaller-framed campers, the CANWAY is ultra-soft, comfy, and warm to be the best 3-season double bag ever.
How To Choose The Best Car Camping Sleeping Bags?
- For our testing, we figured out that most car campers would be out in around three seasons (spring, summer, and autumn), not four.
- That’s why we focused on sleeping bags featuring temperature range within 30 to 40 degrees F, which is considered to deliver moderate warmth without feeling too cold or sweating hot.
- We also realized that there’s no standardized process for temperature ratings of casual sleeping bags, which totally converses with the backpacking models.
- That means there are divergences and inconsistencies between same-same bags from different producers, making it harder to compare them without testing.
- Though heavier and less heating-efficient, car camping sleeping bags provide more room and comfort than the backpacking. There are 4 main shapes:
- Double bags: Designed for two campers to sleep in at once, perfect for couples or parent and their kid.
- Mummy: It’s versatile and also the most popular shape that can be used for car camping and backpacking. The mummy-shaped helps retain warmth the most efficiently but you might feel slightly restrictive. Another big bonus is its incredible lightness.
- Rectangular: This shape is known for roomy and comfy design but in turn, it offers the least warmth based on the least heating-efficient capability
- Semi-rectangular: It’s still spacious and comfy but all corners are tapered to shave off weight. Besides, this helps to increase its heating efficiency.
- This feature relates directly to a sleeping bag’s seasonality and temperature range. On the market, there are 3 common options:
- Water-resistant down: This is literally special goose down but has been treated to resist water better than the ordinary kind.
- Goose-down: As mentioned, this kind can’t resist water efficiently, meaning that it will lack insulating power when wet. But in dry conditions, it’s unbeatably durable and compressible.
- Synthetic: This type isn’t water-resistant but it can dry out quickly to keep you warm. It’s the most affordable out of three and also durable. The best thing is non-allergenic to suit for asthma or allergic people. However, take note that it would be quite bulky and heavy.
Which Brands Make The Best Car Camping Sleeping Bags?
- As the longest-standing US brand in this industry – founded in 1900, Coleman is the leader in camping gear. In terms of sleeping bags, it’s known for unbeatable durability and warmth thanks to many exclusive technologies applied.
- Though Ohuhu is a brand specializing in art and painting, we were quite impressed by how well-made of their very first car camping double sleeping bag line. It’s well-made and also comes with a good warranty so buyers can rest the heart to try it.
Are mummy sleeping bags comfortable?
Compared to the rectangular or semi-rectangular bags, the mummy-shaped provides less sleeping space, which might result in some people feel restrictive. Not to say that the sleeper must sleep on his/her back.
Do I need a 0-degree sleeping bag?
Yes, you do.
A 0-degree F rated sleeping bag is sufficient to use in three seasons, unless you’re about to camp in really frigid conditions.
How can I increase the warmth of my sleeping bag?
Here are some tips to help you feel warmer inside your sleeping bag:
- Eat a big meal
- Put on extra clothes, like beanie, socks (remember to only wear dried, clean socks), and hoodie
- Add a thermal liner for better insulation
- Sleep with a warm water bottle
- Empty your bladder at bedtime
Is it better to wear clothes in a sleeping bag?
The more layers created around your body, the warmer, meaning that the more clothes put on, the better.
Do you need sleeping bags for camping?
This gear is actually not necessary for camping as there are numerous alternatives out there. For example, quilts, blankets, and sleeping bag liners. It’s also dependent on the weather to decide whether you need a sleeping bag or not. But at least, make sure you have a sleeping pad at hand.
What temperature is a 2 season sleeping bag?
Typically around 32 to 41 degrees F
We believe that this ultimate buying guide has helped you narrow down your selections to get the best car camping sleeping bag for your own.
It’s because every piece of information provided here had been researched meticulously as if we were buying these bags for ourselves, regardless of prestige or price.
So now, we’d like to hear from you. Which is the most favorite of yours out of these 6 options?