Why it’s important to choose the best fishing line for trout?
When it comes to trout fishing, there are various forms – ice fishing, reel fishing, standard rod, and fly fishing. As each form is entirely unique, it asks for a distinctive approach and gear that only good preparation helps get the job done.
In this guide, we’ll go through different types of lines and options to find out the right one for your fishing style. Don’t miss out!
Here are the best fishing lines for trout (Aug 2022 Update):
- Best Overall: KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
- Best For Spinning Reels: Power Pro Spectra Fiber
- Versatile: Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line
- Best For Speckled Trout: KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line
- Best For Lake Trout: P-Line Floroclear
- Most Versatile: Sunline Super FC Sniper
- Best Overall: KastKing World's Premium Monofilament Fishing Line
- Ultra-Low Visibility: Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line
- Best For Bigger Trout: Berkley Trilene Big Game
|Best Fishing Line For Trout: Top 9 Picks|
|KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
Best For Spinning Reels
|Power Pro Spectra Fiber||Read Our Review|
|Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
Best For Speckled Trout
|KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
Best For Lake Trout
|P-Line Floroclear||Read Our Review|
|Sunline Super FC Sniper||Read Our Review|
|KastKing World's Premium Monofilament Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
|Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
Best For Bigger Trout
|Berkley Trilene Big Game||Read Our Review|
Braided Fishing Line
Best Overall: KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
- UV-resistant to last longer
- Feature thinner diameter but leveraged knot strength compared to other braided lines to handle all sizes of fish and fit any spool
- Easy for distant casting and retrieving with no tangling in the wind
- Slightly pricier than usual
- For some lures, it’s a bit heavy
- Color is easily worn off
If you expect on superior braided line and are ready to pay for quality, the SuperPower is an investment worth making.
While braided lines commonly do not have good knot strength, this features preeminent tensile strength; so it’s able to handle any large-sized fish with hassle-free.
With no stretch and low memory, you can fly it straight through the line guides for easier distant casting as well as retrieving. The line also delivers higher sensitivity while not tangling up in the wind.
|KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
0.07; 0.08; 0.09; 0.18; 0.22; 0.25; 0.30; 0.40; 0.45; 0.50 mm
6; 8; 10; 20; 25; 30; 40; 50; 65; 80; 100; 120; 150 pounds
327; 547; 1097 yards
Strong knot strength
Achieve a better
Less chance of wind knots
In a nutshell, KastKing SuperPower is one of the best braided lines out there that can be with you to any water conditions and fit nicely most fishing applications.
Best For Spinning Reels: Power Pro Spectra Fiber
- Come in a round shape to work flawlessly with spinning reels
- Feature 20% to 25% thinner diameter than the standard braided lines out there, easy to fit most spools and lighter lure in deeper waters
- Not break as often as the ordinary braided lines
- Colors are easy to fade with time
- You can’t rely on a nail clipper to cut it because it’s too strong
Out of numerous choices for braided lines, you can’t go wrong with this Power Pro.
It features 3-end braided structure made of Spectra Fiber core and Enhanced Body Technology to nail up with three things – sensitivity, strength, and no stretch. As a result, you will not experience breaks as often.
Thin diameter might be the most controversial feature of this line, which is 20% to 25% thinner than a standard-sized braided line’s diameter.
Despite a few anglers who don’t prefer this, we find it is helpful to work with lighter lures for deeper waters. And because of its round profile, there will be hassle-free when you are spooling on any spinning reels.
|Power Pro Spectra Fiber Specifications|
0.005inch - 0.035inch
Varying Diameters (0.005inch - 0.035inch)
Varying Lengths (150-3000 yards)
If you want something that’s super thin yet strong and durable for spinning reels, we highly recommend the Power Pro Spectra Fiber.
Versatile: Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line
- Highlight superior shock absorption and tensile strength to fit most fishing applications
- Offer a wide range of strand options, lengths, and test weights for versatile usage
- A bit hard to tie a knot
- A bit expensive than other brands
Reaction Tackle Braided Line is one of the best sellers nowadays on the market.
It’s crafted entirely from UHMWPE – known as the strongest fiber in the world – to result in superior shock absorption, no stretch, and extreme tensile strength. In other words, it can improve your catch rate significantly and is a versatile option for any fishing applications.
Toughness is another Reaction Tackle Braided’s forte.
It features a high level of abrasion resistance thanks to the coating and even better is that it comes in multiple strand options and test weights – ranging from 10 to 200 pounds.
|Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
4 Strand sizes: 0.14 – 0.55mm
8 Strand sizes: 0.60 – 0.80mm
10, 20, 30, 50, 65, 80, 100, 120, 150 and 200 pound
near zero stretch, high-quality braided fishing line
High abrasion resistance
Round and smooth
Reaction Tackle Braided comes in many good characteristics, such as water resistance, low line memory, durability, toughness, and especially, incredibly tensile strength for versatile usage. Highly recommend!
Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
Best For Speckled Trout: KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line
- Excel the abrasion resistance ability and strength to handle different water conditions and fish sizes
- Sink faster in the water to suit deeper fishing and work well with baitcasting reels
- Priced affordably
- A bit hard to tie a knot at first
- As it’s not 100% made of fluorocarbon, the line is slightly inconsistent
- Not suitable for topwater
KastKing FluoroKote is what you should get to fish in super-clear waters.
Though it isn’t technically 100% fluorocarbon line, the makeup of copolymer fishing line with a great-quality coating makes it incredibly abrasion-resistant and super strong to offer best value for the money.
Like most good fluorocarbon lines out there, the FluoroKote stays invisible in most water conditions.
It’s also heavy, dense yet water-resistant to sink faster into the waters while still retaining its integrity. So if you intend to use bait-casting reel next time, this would be an ideal partner, especially for speckled trout or redfish.
|KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line Specifications|
0.18; 0.22; 0.23; 0.28; 0.30; 0.33; 0.35; 0.38; 0.43; 0.48 mm
4; 6; 8; 10; 12; 15; 17; 20; 25; 30
high-tech 100% fluorocarbon coating & Copolymer
Sinks faster with low absorption
While it’s not easy to find a high-quality, powerful, and versatile fluorocarbon line at this incredibly low price, the KastKing FluoroKote is like a golden chance for budget-minders to improve their catch rate.
Best For Lake Trout: P-Line Floroclear
- Very lightweight yet strong to hold up different sizes of fish easily. No break
- Stay virtually invisible in the waters to help you get more bites
- Deliver much forgiving than the 100% fluorocarbon-made lines, which is easier to tie knots
- No remorse. We’re satisfied with this.
If you have never tried below 4-pound test before, the P-Line Floroclear will give you a big chance.
It holds up well to not break as often as other fluorocarbon lines would do and besides, its decent transparency is ideal for clear lakes or jig presentation.
The Floroclear also features really nice knot strength with a lot less stretch than the ordinary monofilament but is much forgiving than the 100% fluorocarbon-made lines.
Coming to a conclusion, we find this unit is better than regular mono for lake trout while pricing significantly cheaper than the 100% fluorocarbon, making it a well-worth option to try.
|P-Line Floroclear Specifications|
2 – 30 pounds
260 & 300 yards
Floroclear's fluorocarbon coating
Superior Knot Strength
Built with great transparency and unbreakable construction, P-Line FloroClear is a reliable fluorocarbon line to leave on your reel whenever going out for fishing, especially on the lakes.
Most Versatile: Sunline Super FC Sniper
- Deliver great manageable, durable, and castable capability in various conditions -> versatile
- Super-low memory to not mold into the spool shape if being left on the reel in an extended period of time
- Feature triple resin coating, good at making long casts, tying complicated knots, or re-lining reels in strong winds
- A bit pricey
- Feel slightly stiff right off the spool
Sunline Super FC Sniper is one of the best all-purpose fluorocarbon line that we’ve tried.
Whether using the 16-pound test for flipping jigs or coaxing finicky trout by an 8-pound test, we all found it to be incredibly manageable, durable, and castable under different water conditions.
Making it outstanding is the triple resin coating. It gives a much limper feel than other counterparts that when making long casts, tying complicated knots, or re-lining reels in strong winds, it’s very useful. So when manipulating around a spool, we saw no twist or kink on it
Another impressive thing is its super-low memory.
While most fluoro starts to mold to the spool’s shape if leaving sit on the reel for over a month, causing issues related to major line management, this isn’t the one.
|Sunline Super FC Sniper Specifications|
6 – 20 pounds
200 – 1200 yards
Triple resin coating
Excellent for heavy cover applications
Uniform line diameter
Triple resin coating for softer supple handling
According to the decent management and durability, we highly recommend Sunline Super FC Sniper for those anglers who want something work decently in different conditions.
Monofilament Fishing Line
Best Overall: KastKing World's Premium Monofilament Fishing Line
- Can work in either saltwater or freshwater and give vivid bait/lure motion – versatile and efficient
- Avoid kinks, twists, and backflashes perfectly
- Memory-free to not curl or knot up
- Might get too stretchy
- Still a little bit visible in the water -> it would work well in murky conditions
KastKing World’s Premium Mono is crafted from high-density nylon for unbeatable strength and durability.
Whether in saltwater or freshwater, just rest the heart that it is always smooth and supple to offer only the most vivid bait/lure motion with incredible tensile strength.
Our most favorite is its ultra-low absorption so when retrieving the line, you can execute it faster with no limpness.
The round profile and paralleled roll track are other highlight features of this unit, making it never sink into the spool for easier long casting.
|KastKing World's Premium Monofilament Fishing Line Specifications|
4 lbs., 6 lbs., 8 lbs., 10 lbs., 12 lbs., 15 lbs., 17 lbs., 20 lbs., 25 lbs., and 30 lbs.
300 & 600 yards
Soft and supple
Awesome features for bass
Giving your lures lots of vivid motion and making them more precisely the way they’re made for, the KastKing World’s Premium Mono is truly the king of its type.
Ultra-Low Visibility: Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line
- Feature extreme shock resistance, strength and durability to handle different conditions and fish sizes
- Specifically designed for saltwater fishing
- Ultra-low visible to be ideal for clearer water conditions
- Tangle quickly
- Feature uneven line so it has some weak spots
If your goal is heavier trout, Stren High-Impact Mono is our recommendation.
Superior to other monofilament lines that we’ve tested, it features extreme shock resistance in addition to leveraged strength and durability to handle heavier fish more easily. In consideration, it would be the best workhorse in saltwater fishing, using trolling reels, casting, and spinning.
Like Kastking, it offers a wide range of sizes and colors to choose from, ranging within 10 to 30-pound test, and available in both low-vis and high-vis.
But one notable feature is in comparison to other low-vis monolines, this Stren is unbeatable, which is nearly blind in the water.
|Stren High Impact Monofilament Fishing Line Specifications|
0.45 – 0.55mm
10 – 30 pounds
400 – 1275 yards
Monofilament Fishing Line
Shock resistant for fighting line punishing gamefish
Excellent transparency for ultra-low visibility
Designed to be ultra-low visible, we found the Stren High-Impact Monofilament Line is a potential candidate to work in clearer water conditions.
Best For Bigger Trout: Berkley Trilene Big Game
- Highlight superb impact-resistant, tough and durable capability to handle big trout weighing around 10-60 pounds with ease
- Never snap or break under a sharp tub
- Leveraged abrasion resistance to handle the deepest covers
- The memory is slightly high, making it harder to work with spinning gear
While the Stren High-Impact Mono has been so impact-resistant and powerful for heavy trout, this Berkley is even stronger.
It’s super tough and durable, giving a superb performance for large-sized trout at around 10 to 60 pounds. A fun fact is, it’s never been known to snap.
It is also specifically designed – with leverage in abrasion resistance capability - to drag through sharp rocks, branches, or weeds with minimal wear-out. Besides, it can handle the deepest covers.
Two other noteworthy features are its ultra-strong knot strength and the controlled amount of stretch to be unbreakable if a big fish tries to pull to snap the line with a sharp tug.
|Berkley Trilene Big Game Specifications|
Green: 0.012 – 0.028 inches
Solar: 0.012 – 0.028 inches
Clear: 0.012 – 0.022 inches
Green: 10 – 50 pounds
Solar: 10 – 50 pounds
Clear: 10 – 30 pounds
Green: 275 – 1500 yards
Solar: 275 – 1500 yards
Clear: 440 – 1500 yards
Amazing strength for confidence and control
Shock-resistant design for controlled stretch
Outstanding knot strength for holding power
If you never want to lose your big game then regret it, the Berkley Trilene Big Game is something that you can count on.
How To Choose The Best Fishing Lines For Trout?
Types Of Trout Lines
- Not just for trout, when you’re in the water to catch a specific fish species, the types of fishing line are very important to consider first and foremost as they give different capabilities and performance.
- Talking about trout, there are 4 main types:
- Braided: This is the most expensive out of four but in turn, you have it last till the end. The braided line features super-low memory and infrequently coil up or kink, which is very suitable for spinning reels.
- Fluorocarbon: It’s well-loved for extra smoothness, durability, and high resistance.
- Monofilament: Contrast to braided line, this is very affordable to easily be within any fisher’s reach. It highlights high versatility and various color options. The only flaw is its high memory, resulting in kinking more easily.
- Lead core: As its name defines, it features lead to the center of the line for heavier and stronger performance. So lead core would be perfect to fish on deep lakes or open seas.
- For beginners, you might be wondering what is “memory” of fishing line and how it affects on the rewards of your fishing trip.
- Simply, it is the process where the fishing line keeps the memory shape of when it’s wrapped around its reel, which can decrease significantly the line’s total length as it’s not completely straight. Instead, the line would feature lots of curls and kinks in it.
- As stated above, monofilament line commonly features the highest line’s memory but whether it’s important or not depending on where you’re going to fish in.
- For example, in a river or stream, that issue is not a matter at all so monofilament is still a good idea for budget-minded anglers. But in the sea or on a lake, you should consider other types with lower memory.
- Sensitivity effects how much you can feel each little pull, which relates to your fishing experience. Or, whether you can catch the fish easily or not.
- But similar to the line’s memory, sensitivity is not essential to consider in all cases.
- Such as in calm water conditions, you can go-for lower sensitivity level because there is little to nothing distracting you. However, when it comes to fish on the sea, waves and strong winds might give you false alarms so a highly-sensitive fishing line is what you should get.
Which Brands Make The Best Fishing Lines For Trout?
- One of our favorite brands for fishing lines. KastKing, founded in 2011 and later won the 2015 ICAST Best of Show Award, is a reliable address where you can get the best fishing lines applied with innovation and yet, priced at the lowest range that they could be.
- If you’re in need of the best mono or super braided fishing lines, look no further than PowerPro. It’s worldwide well-known for the exclusive Enhanced Body Technology to deliver slicker, smoother, and rounder shape for versatility and better rewards.
- One of the longest-standing US brands specializing in fishing line, P-Line was first introduced into the North American market in 1982 and since then, it has been always the top choice of thousand anglers all around the world.
- Founded in 1989, Sunline is another trustworthy brand in terms of fishing gear and scuba-diving equipment. Their products meet deeply customers’ needs as they’re made by experts and skillful people.
- Stren was established in 1958 by a high-enthusiastic team of fishing gurus and experts. It has developed many exclusive technologies and innovations to offer only superior performance of fishing lines at a very cost-effective price ranges.
- We admire the story behinds Berkley but in short, this brand was created in 1939 by Berkley when he was just 16 years old. And up to now, it has won many valuable awards, such as Best in Category With FireLine® Ultra 8™ at Big Rock Shows and Best in Category with FireLine® Ultra 8 at ICAST.
How deep do you fish for trout?
This feature is changed depending on specific times and weather conditions of the year.
Namely, in the late fall to winter with ice covering the water, it should be at a depth of around 10 feet. From early fall and spring, 35 to 45 feet is a good depth and in the rest of the year, it should be 50 to 65 feet.
How do you rig for trout?
To rig for trout in different fishing styles and water conditions, take a peek at this video:
What color fishing line is best?
The best color of fishing line should be invisible to fish and it’s dependent on specific water conditions. But in general, green is the most versatile.
What is the best month to catch trout?
It’s commonly in the spring.
The perfect combination of rich food source development and warmer temperature makes it a great time for trout to actively feed, which becomes a prime target for flies, baits, and lures.
What color jig is best for trout?
The more outstanding the jig, the better for trout to see and bite. Our top favorite colors are brown, white, and black but for better results, you should consider the water conditions in your next fishing spot to choose the most suitable colors.
As you’ve read from above, there’re numerous varieties of fishing lines for trout with different specifications.
That’s why getting to know these features and above all, understanding when, where and how you fish will make the choice much easier.
The above guide has gone through all pieces of information needed to choose the best fishing line for trout. If you’ve got any more questions, kindly let us know!