Walleye are smart and tricky fish to catch, which is why only professionals often target these fish. However, being a professional isn’t enough to catch walleye, they also need the right gear, including the fishing line.
If you want to challenge yourself with this type of fish, this post will help you find the best fishing line for walleye.
Here are the best fishing line for walleye (Dec 2023 Update):
- Best Overall (Braided Fishing Line): KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
- Best For Long Casting (Braided Fishing Line): Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line
- Best For Vertical Jigging (Braided Fishing Line): SpiderWire Stealth Superline Fishing Line
- Best For Lighter Jigs (Braided Fishing Line): P-Line TCB 8 Carrier 150-Yard Braided Fishing Line
- Best Overall (Fluorocarbon Fishing Line): Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
- Fast Sinking (Fluorocarbon): Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
- Best For Clearwater (Fluorocarbon): Catch Co Googan Squad 100% Pure Fluorocarbon (Fluoro) Fishing Line
- Best For Professionals (Fluorocarbon): P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Material 27 YD Spool
- Best Overall (Monofilament): Berkley Trilene XL Monofilament Fishing Line
- Best For Smooth Casts (Monofilament): Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line
- Most Durable (Monofilament): Color Scissor Fishing Line
- Best For Ice Fishing (Monofilament): Reaction Tackle Monofilament Fishing line
|12 Best Fishing Line For Walleye|
|KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line|
Best For Long Casting
|Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line|
Best For Vertical Jigging
|SpiderWire Stealth Superline Fishing Line|
Best For Lighter Jigs
|P-Line TCB 8 Carrier 150-Yard Braided Fishing Line|
|Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader|
|Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line|
Best For Clearwater
|Catch Co Googan Squad 100% Pure Fluorocarbon (Fluoro) Fishing Line|
Best For Professionals
|P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Material 27 YD Spool|
|Berkley Trilene XL Monofilament Fishing Line|
Best For Smooth Casts
|Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line|
|Color Scissor Fishing Line|
Best For Ice Fishing
|Reaction Tackle Monofilament Fishing line|
Best Overall (Braided Fishing Line): KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
- Allow for spooling more line onto a reel – smaller diameters than other brands
- Give better hook settings & fewer risks of wind knots - ultra-high sensitivity, low memory, and no stretch
- Easy to tie different types of knot - dynamically incorporated strands
- Hold up well and durable - Abrasion resistance
- Hard to make long casts when you first spool up with it
The KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line is our most favorite pick for walleye. Compared to other brands, it is smaller in diameter so you can spool more line onto a reel.
We also enjoy its ultra-high sensitivity with low memory and no stretch for better hook settings as well as fewer risks of wind knots.
Yet, it is still very easy to tie a solid knot or clinch knot, all thanks to the dynamically incorporated strands. Abrasion resistance is another highlight of this line, giving you more chances to catch big ones.
|KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
9.0/256; 9.9/280; 13.3/376; 13.9/395 (oz/gram)
0.07 to 0.5 mm
10 -150 Ib test
327 to 1097 yards
smaller diameters than other brands
ultra-high sensitivity, low memory, and no stretch
dynamically incorporated strands
With a smaller diameter, ultra-high visibility, low memory, no stretch, and abrasion resistance, the KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line just about has everything.
Best For Long Casting (Braided Fishing Line): Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line
- Enhance knot strength and better casting - a smaller profile & soft and nice texture
- Offer low memory and high sensitivity – give minimal stretch
- Cut the water faster - Superb consistent roundness and smoothness
- Not really true to colors
- It does have a little bit of a sharp or “square” feel to it
The Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line is different.
It doesn’t need time for breaking-in. The line feels really soft and nice from the beginning; combined with a small profile, it performs exceptionally for longer casts.
It gives minimal stretch, which creates extremely low memory yet high sensitivity. But the real star is its superb consistent roundness and smoothness, which helps cutting water a lot faster.
Built with durability and decent abrasion resistance (thanks to the new epoxy coating technology application), it holds up well against harsh, big fish.
|Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
0.06 – 0.7 mm
6 to 150 pounds
150 – 547 yards
a smaller profile & soft and nice texture
give minimal stretch
Superb consistent roundness and smoothness
The Piscifun Onyx is a dependable braided fishing line option, especially for long casting.
Best For Vertical Jigging (Braided Fishing Line): SpiderWire Stealth Superline Fishing Line
- Ideal for vertical jigging techniques - ultra-lightweight & slim-profile
- Shoot through guides fast - Fluoropolymer treated microfibers
- Cast further and more durable - The color-lock coating technology
- The color is easily faded over time
- Wish it was a little brighter
- Unable to tie clinch knots
Our expert testers really liked this fishing line for vertical jigging! It is ultra-lightweight with a small profile, which not only allows the line to sink faster but is also suitable for different fishing techniques.
Featuring a thin diameter so it is nearly invisible in most water conditions, especially blue water lakes.
Yet, it stays durable while providing quiet and smooth performance, which comes in handy to tackle big, angry walleye.
Fluoropolymer treated microfibers help it shoot through guides easily and fast. The color-lock coating technology, on the other hand, improves its casting distance and the line’s durability.
|SpiderWire Stealth Superline Fishing Line Specifications|
10# mono, .30mm
10 – 250 pounds
164 – 3000 yards
ultra-lightweight & slim-profile
Fluoropolymer treated microfibers
The color-lock coating technology
The SpiderWire Stealth Superline Fishing Line offers a perfect balance of lightness, slim-profile, and durability at a comparable price point, making it the best choice for vertical jigging.
Best For Lighter Jigs (Braided Fishing Line): P-Line TCB 8 Carrier 150-Yard Braided Fishing Line
- Nearly no sound through the guides & greater castability – round and smooth
- Strong, cast longer, and abrasion-resistant – incorporated with DuPont's Teflon Surface Protector
- Low memory – nearly no stretch
- Slightly costly
The P-Line TCB 8 Carrier is currently the most sought-after braided fishing line for lighter jigs.
It’s created with an ultra-smooth Teflon finish, giving virtually zero sound through the guides and greater castability than other brands. The line is also incredibly quiet through the guide while casting a lot further.
Just like other braided line options here, it delivers nearly zero stretches for low memory, high visibility, and strong knot strength.
|P-Line TCB 8 Carrier 150-Yard Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
10 – 80 pounds
round and smooth
incorporated with DuPont's Teflon Surface Protector
nearly no stretch
The P-Line TCB 8 Carrier is lightweight and slim enough to be a perfect choice for lighter jigs.
Best Overall (Fluorocarbon Fishing Line): Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
- Offer top-notch abrasion and impact resistance - double-structure fluorocarbon design
- Deliver unparalleled bait presentations - 100% fluorocarbon leader material
- Sink faster – lightweight
- Slightly overpriced
Out of an avalanche of fluorocarbon fishing lines, we find the Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label to be the best overall performer.
It is a double-structure fluorocarbon design with an emphasis on top-notch abrasion and impact resistance for the best tensile strength. The 100% fluorocarbon leader material is key to make it superior to others for unparalleled bait presentations.
We also figure out that it delivers higher knot strength while sinking faster.
|Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label 25-Yards Fluorocarbon Leader Specifications|
100% fluorocarbon leader material
double-structure fluorocarbon design
100% fluorocarbon leader material
Compared to those models costing under $20, the Seaguar 40 FC 25 Blue Label offers better tensile strength, abrasion resistance, and impact absorption. That’s also the reason for it becoming our Editors’ Choice award winner.
Fast Sinking (Fluorocarbon): Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
- Nearly invisible in the water, fast-sinking, and high strength – lightweight, pure fluorocarbon material
- Easy to tie knots and low memory – low stretch
- Able to be used as a leader line or mainline – superior durability
- A bit larger diameter than other brands
- Feel stiff at first
The Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line is a more affordable option for those walleye fishermen on a tight budget.
As made completely of pure fluorocarbon material with high abrasion resistance and smooth finish, it is nearly invisible in the water, sinks super-fast while featuring high strength.
Meanwhile, it is easy to tie knots and features low stretch and low memory – which prevents wind knots efficiently.
It is durable enough to be used as a leader line or mainline.
|Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line Specifications|
.18mm - .90mm
4 – 30 pounds
50 – 125 yards
lightweight, pure fluorocarbon material
Thanks to its high-grade, pure fluorocarbon material, the Reaction Tackle 100% Pure Fluorocarbon Fishing Line is unbeatable in terms of fast-sinking.
Best For Clearwater (Fluorocarbon): Catch Co Googan Squad 100% Pure Fluorocarbon (Fluoro) Fishing Line
- Ideal for clear water conditions – crystal clear color
- Prevent backlashes and enhance castability - minimal memory
- Able to be used in rough water – abrasion resistance
This fluorocarbon fishing line by Catch Co was the result of collaboration with the Googan Squad as well as other quality Japanese manufacturers.
They aim to make the toughest and most reliable line that performs well in all water conditions, especially crystal clear water without spooking finicky walleye. What we love the most about this line is its minimal memory for backlash prevention and higher castability.
Besides, its excellent abrasion resistance avoids break-offs when you go fishing in rougher conditions.
|Catch Co Googan Squad 100% Pure Fluorocarbon (Fluoro) Fishing Line Specifications|
.008 inches/.203 millimeters - .017 inches/.431 millimeters
6 – 25 pounds
crystal clear color
By boasting a crystal clear color, the Catch Co Googan Squad functions well in all conditions, especially in clear water.
Best For Professionals (Fluorocarbon): P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Material 27 YD Spool
- Offer unbeatable stability and strength – made of highest-quality materials
- Increase catch ratio – deliver a more natural presentation to walleye & feature high refractive index
- Dependable - American Sportfishing Association awarded
- Feel a bit stiff
When we asked our friends who are also professional fishermen for the best fluorocarbon line, 85% of them suggested this model.
The main reason is its unbeatable stability and strength, no matter in any water condition. Because it’s made of the highest-quality materials with a high refractive index, the line makes a noticeable difference in performance under the water.
While being nearly invisible, it offers a more natural presentation to walleye, also meaning a higher catch ratio.
Making it a reliable option for pro fishermen is its durability and UV protection, which was already the American Sportfishing Association awarded.
|P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Material 27 YD Spool Specifications|
2 – 60 pounds
made of the highest-quality materials
deliver a more natural presentation to walleye & feature a high refractive index
American Sportfishing Association awarded
For professionals, the P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Material 27 YD Spool will definitely be one of the most essential tools for your tackle arsenal.
Best Overall (Monofilament): Berkley Trilene XL Monofilament Fishing Line
- Suitable for a wide range of techniques and baits
- Maximum manageability & prevent line twists and kinks – low memory & ultra-smooth, round finishes
- Ensure the quality – made in the USA
- A bit stretchy
The Berkley Trilene XL is known for its outstanding performance for a wide range of techniques and baits, along with incredible strength for confident control.
The round finish offers ultra-smooth casting as well as maximum manageability whereas resisting kinks and twists like a champ. Particularly, it is 100% manufactured in the USA, which ensures quality.
The crystal clear color hides well in the water. But what surprised us the most is it held up well around grass and didn’t terribly stretch while fighting a snag in nasty cover.
|Berkley Trilene XL Monofilament Fishing Line Specifications|
0.009 inches for the 6lb mono
2 – 270 pounds
110 – 3000 yards
low memory & ultra-smooth, round finishes
made in the USA
crystal clear color
The Berkley Trilene XL can make an excellent monofilament fishing line if you are looking for the best overall performer without breaking the bank.
Best For Smooth Casts (Monofilament): Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line
- Offer ultra-smooth casts & strong manageability – low stretch & nearly zero memory
- Deliver better lure action, sink faster with less water drag – small diameter
- Hold knot better than other brands
- A bit expensive
- Slightly stiff
If the Berkley is unavailable, or if you know you want something smoother in casting, the Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line is a good bet.
It is easy to manage, strong, and gives low stretch.
Besides, the smaller diameter allows this fishing line to give better lure action, sink faster with less water drag. Compared to other counterparts featuring the same pound test, this one is unbeatable for its top-notch knot holding capability.
This product also removes the twist efficiently.
|Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line Specifications|
.007 - .016 inches
4 – 30 pounds
300 – 330 yards
High strength-to-diameter ratio
When smooth casts count, you can count on the Stren MagnaThin Monofilament Fishing Line.
Most Durable (Monofilament): Color Scissor Fishing Line
- Deliver decent clutter-winding prevention - computer smooth and delicate winding line finish
- High strength and durability - high-density nylon
- Offer increased depth and more reel capacity with diving baits
- It still has a couple of lines snap
Buying from Color Scissor, you will not only receive a high-quality monofilament fishing line for better walleye catches but also get very good service.
While offering lots of benefits, this line impressed us the most for its decent clutter-winding prevention, which is a big thank you to the computer's smooth and delicate winding line finish.
We also have no complaint about its durability.
The high-density nylon makes it pass the 35-pound test easily, which also means it offers increased depth and more reel capacity with diving baits.
Meanwhile, this material gives less stretch, lower memory for higher strength.
|Color Scissor Fishing Line Specifications|
35 lbs test
computer smooth and delicate winding line finish
pass 35 lbs test
If durability is your thing when seeking the best monofilament fishing line for walleye, look no further than the Color Scissor.
Best For Ice Fishing (Monofilament): Reaction Tackle Monofilament Fishing line
- Supple, soft, and easy to tie knots – made to the highest quality standards
- Cast longer with smooth and strong experience
- Not bleed or fade colors over time – applied with the Color lock technology
- It still has a bit of memory
- The line color is noticeably lighter than others
Although there are countless high-quality monofilament fishing lines on the market, rarely do they perform well in harsh water conditions.
But with the Reaction Tackle, it not only provides you with a top-notch ice-fishing performance but is also affordable for a fraction of the price of most main competitors. Plus, you’ve got lots of pound test line options to choose from.
Made to the highest quality standards, it is supple, soft, and easy to tie knots whereas stays smooth and strong for casting longer.
The biggest selling point is it retains its color super-long, all thanks to the Color lock technology application.
|Reaction Tackle Monofilament Fishing line Specifications|
.203mm - 1.00mm
2 – 100 pounds
125 – 3000 yards
made to the highest quality standards
smooth and strong
applied with the Color lock technology
If you are in need of the best walleye monofilament line for ice fishing, the Reaction Tackle is worth investing in.
How To Choose The Best Fishing Line For Walleye?
The strength of a fishing line is called a test and measured in pounds, which is why we have a factor called the pound test.
The ideal pound test value for a fishing line for walleye varies depending on the technique. However, it should be 8-10 lbs for braid, 6-8 lbs for monofilament, 10-12 lbs for fluorocarbon, and 12-18 lbs for the lead core.
As we mentioned in the previous section, there are three types of fishing lines to choose from.
- Braid fishing lines
- This type provides low stretch compared with mono and its diameter is half that of mono for the same breaking strain. It is good for single hooks by adding life into lures as it twitches the rod tip to attract walleye.
- This line is the most suitable for jigs and similar lures. But it’s too visible underwater and should always be used with either a monofilament or fluorocarbon leader.
- Mono fishing lines
- With a natural stretch, this type of fishing line is the best for large lures. It’s also good for topwater because it floats better. However, you need to strike a bit harder to set the hooks.
- Fluorocarbon fishing lines
- This type of line is quite translucent while offering better abrasion resistance than the monotype. Fluorocarbon lines also sink better than monolines, making it suitable for getting lures deep.
Which Brands Make The Best Fishing Line For Walleye?
This is a fishing gear brand that’s been in the industry since 1959. Its products have been loved by many anglers with extreme attention paid to research and development work.
With 38 years of experience in the business, this is a leading brand in terms of fishing gear. It sets high standards to deliver the best products to consumers.
Since its foundation in 2012, this brand has worked with the mission to offer amazing products for anglers. To do that, it focuses on innovation, learning, and experimentation.
Established in 2013, this brand was born to provide effective fishing solutions for everyone. In addition to that, its solutions are also innovative and affordable.
Over the past 7 years of operation, this brand has been dedicated to offering affordable, high-quality fishing gear for the entire family. No matter what your need is, it will be addressed by Piscifun.
If you are interested in online shopping, this is the go-to brand for you. It has a huge product portfolio so you can find anything you need from its catalog.
What is the best type of fishing line for walleye?
Among the three options: braid, monofilament, and fluorocarbon, the latter two seem to be the best options. These lines are abrasion-resistant and invisible underwater.
How do you vertical rig for walleye?
Here’s what you need to do:
Move to an area with a lot of fish.
Directly pitch the bait to the bottom of the slackline.
As soon as the bait reaches the bottom, reel up and jig aggressively with your wrist for 2 or 3 times then let the bait fall back to the bottom.
Does the monofilament fishing line go bad?
There isn’t an official answer to how long a fishing line lasts, but comparisons show that a monofilament line can last an average of 2-3 years.
Is there any difference between the fishing leader and the fishing line of the same test?
It’s important to understand that the fishing leader and fishing line are never the same things. The leader refers to the length of the line tied to the end of the mainline and lures or rigs are tied to the leader.
On the other hand, the main fishing line is attached to the reel. The leader should be thicker and stronger than the fishing line.
Does wetting knots help to avoid breakage when pulling tight?
Yes, it does. Wetting knots acts as a lubricant to prevent heating up at the knot when you pull too tight. You can wet the know with water or saliva.
Is the multicolor line in increments to tell you the depth of the water like the power pro depth hunter?
It probably doesn’t. The reason why the PowerPro Depth Hunter line can tell you the depth of the water is that it has black marks with equal distances between every two marks, which can be used as a ruler. This isn’t the same thing on other multicolor lines.
What pound test line should I use for walleye?
The best pound test for walleye depends on the type of line you use. If you opt for a fluorocarbon line, it should be 10-12 pounds; for a monofilament line, it should be 6-8 pounds.
When should I go walleye fishing?
As walleye is super sensitive to light, you should target them in the late evening and early morning.
When should I start trolling for walleye?
You should begin trolling for walleye when the spawning season ends and the temperature increases.
What speed should you troll for walleye?
Regularly, a speed of 1.5 to 2.5 miles per hour is suitable. But you may also encounter very aggressive fish that you need to troll at 3 miles per hour.
What depth do walleye like in summer?
During the summer, walleyes tend to feed at a depth of 10 feet underwater.
Now that you have got the idea of what the best fishing line for walleye should be like, we hope that it will be quick and easy for you to find the perfect products for yourself. Remember not to omit any factor listed in this post when you choose a fishing line.