Walleye are known as the bit smart and tricky fish species that not every enthusiast fisher can deal with. But if you still want to accept the challenge and target the walleye, let our experts help you!
Here are the best fishing lines for walleye you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Power Pro Spectra Fiber
- Best For Drop Shot: SpiderWire Stealth Superline
- Best For Ice Fishing: Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line
- Best Overall: Seaguar Blue Label 25 Yards
- Fast-Sinking: Seaguar STS
- Master-Level Leader Line: P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader
- Best Overall: Berkley XL906-15
- Most Durable: Berkley Trilene Big Game
- Strongest: Stren Original Service Spool
|Best Fishing Line For Walleye: Top 9 Picks|
|Power Pro Spectra Fiber||Read Our Review|
Best For Drop Shot
|SpiderWire Stealth Superline||Read Our Review|
Best For Ice Fishing
|Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line||Read Our Review|
|Seaguar Blue Label 25 Yards||Read Our Review|
|Seaguar STS||Read Our Review|
Master-Level Leader Line
|P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader||Read Our Review|
|Berkley XL906-15||Read Our Review|
|Berkley Trilene Big Game||Read Our Review|
|Stren Original Service Spool||Read Our Review|
Braided Fishing Line
Best Overall: Power Pro Spectra Fiber
- Deliver ultra-sensitive yet tough construction to help you feel the smallest nibbles
- Can be used in many conditions both in freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Durable and hard profile but still limp and low memory to deliver no backlashes
- As it’s too strong, it can cut the sides of your boat so be careful when using it
- Hardly cut by a nail clipper, you must have very sharp scissors
- The dye wears out quickly
Power Pro is one of the most reputable manufacturers of braided lines and its Spectra Fiber is one of the most fantastic products.
It is braided from ultra-sensitive threads using EBT, enhanced body technology that you hardly beat over other competitors in terms of sensitivity.
The line is also durable.
It’s well-coated to be thinner yet harder to stand the current flawlessly and also a gamut of fishing conditions, both in saltwater and freshwater. A great thing about this PowerPro is despite its hard profile, the line is still limp and low in memory to reduce frustrating backlashes.
|Power Pro Spectra Fiber Specifications|
0.005inch - 0.035inch
Spool directly from the box
Approximate Mono Equivalent: 8LB
300 Yard Spool
Power Pro Spectra Fiber is a good braided line developed to be extremely tough without sacrificing much of other characteristics. It can do an excellent job in many applications in both saltwater and freshwater fishing.
Best For Drop Shot: SpiderWire Stealth Superline
- Deliver superior control and strength to hold up well in different conditions and tricky fish
- Smooth action and quietness, ideal for deep drop fishing
- Hold knots well while being nearly invisible to increase the chances to catch big fish
- High castability with accuracy in long distances -> increase the fishing radius to maximize your catching
- Easily knot up
- On overly rough waters, it might break
If you can afford for premium braided line, we highly recommend the SpiderWire Stealth Superline.
It is made of 100% heavy-duty Dyneema polyethylene microfibers with reliable Teflon treatment and a fluoropolymer coating. Compared to other high-end counterparts, this is superior in terms of durability, strength, and control.
Ultra-thin for ultra-sensitive, and owing to its smooth action, the line can transmit to you the tiniest nibbles while not making a sound while casting.
Furthermore, it features awesome smoothness and holds a knot well to be a great choice for deep drop fishing.
|SpiderWire Stealth Superline Specifications|
10/4 – 100/25 pounds
125 – 500 yards
Color-lock Coating technology - casts farther
Dyneema PE microfiber construction is strong
Smooth and round
Constructed with a smooth, soft structure and good knot strength, SpiderWire Stealth Superline is our top pick for deep drop fishing.
Best For Ice Fishing: Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line
- Can handle well from warm to frozen temperature ranges, perfect for different applications, including ice fishing
- Made of the world’s strongest material – UHMWPE – with multi-coatings for superior strength and abrasion resistance, increase your catch rates
- Invisible and provide with different colors to be a versatile option in many water conditions
- Color is not bleeding
- At a force of 50 pounds, it’s prone to snap
- Not suitable for beginners as it’s hard to tie knots with
The Reaction Tackle Braided Line might be the most durable option on the market at the current. It is made of 100% UHMWPE - known for the strongest fiber globally - with some extra layers of coating.
As strong and highly abrasion-resistant, it provides extra-long casting with higher opportunities to succeed with catching fish.
What we love the most about this product is its ability to resist icing at minus temperature, meaning that if you use it for ice fishing, the line will work more flawlessly compared to other braided lines.
In addition, it comes in several common line colors, such as black, yellow, green, and blue so you can use it efficiently in different water conditions.
|Reaction Tackle Braided Fishing Line Specifications|
4 Strand sizes: 0.14 – 0.55mm
8 Strand sizes: 0.6 – 0.8mm
4 Strand sizes: 10 – 100 pounds
8 Strand sizes: 120 – 200 pounds
150 – 1000 yards
Super thin and slick
While constructed from the strongest fiber globally, Reaction Tackle Braided Line is applied many more practical features to work efficiently in different applications, especially ice fishing.
Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
Best Overall: Seaguar Blue Label 25 Yards
- Made 100% of fluorocarbon for 42% better knot and tensile strength than other brands
- Easily sink in the deeper water column to reach more potential targets, increasing your catch rate
- Water-resistant and chemical-resistant to work perfectly in different conditions and weather types
- A bit expensive
- Not suitable for topwater
For anyone who wants to leverage their fishing experience in deep-water fishing, you’ll never go wrong with the Seaguar Blue Label.
It is made of 100% fluorocarbon with DSF to highlight 42% better knot strength than other brands. Many customers also give compliments for its perfect shock resistance, softness, and memory-free for impressive knot strength and tensile strength.
With a higher density, the line never struggles to sink to reach those targets found on the water floor. It, in other words, helps to increase your catch rate.
Seaguar Blue label is also water-resistant and chemical-resistant to work in cold weather and different waters efficiently.
|Seaguar Blue Label 25 Yards Specifications|
0.05 – 0.032 inches
2 – 80 pounds
DSF - Double Structure Fluorocarbon
Incredible impact and abrasion resistance
Best tensile strength
Dsf - double Structure Fluorocarbon
If you’re finding the best-overall fluorocarbon fishing line, we highly suggest the Seaguar Blue Label.
Fast-Sinking: Seaguar STS
- Stronger than the Premier and Blue Label to handle better in deeper water columns and bigger-sized fish
- Stay truly invisible in the water to fool walleye efficiently
- Priced less expensively than other counterparts – bang for the buck
- Easier to tie knots
- Not suitable for topwater
Stated to be made of 100% fluorocarbon materials, we conducted several tests between this, the Premier, and Blue Label.
Out of three, Seaguar STS is slightly stronger but costs way less, which is the good news for budget-minded anglers who want to get the best of both worlds.
In comparison to the mono, it is much easier to tie knots while retaining very low memory.
That said, it still inhibits some good features from the previous siblings, such as the reasonable heft to sink faster in the water or the virtual invisibility that can fool the walleye.
|Seaguar STS Specifications|
20 – 50 pounds
Strong & highly abrasion-resistant
Maximum impact and knot strength
Built with strength, high invisibility, and fast-sinking at a very cost-effective price point, Seaguar STS is the best option to make deep fishing more feasible to use for leaders.
Master-Level Leader Line: P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader
- Nearly disappear in the water to efficiently catch line-shy fish like walleye
- Give natural presentation and strength
- Feel a little stiff
- Slightly tricky to tie knots
Brought home “Best New Line Introduction of the Year” award by American Sportfishing Association, the P-Line CFX features many impressive features.
One of the most outstanding is its high refractive index to disappear in the water, giving a more natural presentation to those line-shy fishes like walleye. Cast this, you’ll find a huge difference between the bragging rights of the catch and excuses why didn’t bite.
It features fantastic leader material to be unbeatably strong and durable. Besides, the price is very good, too.
|P-Line CFX Fluorocarbon Leader Specifications|
0.42 – 0.73mm
abrasion resistance fluorocarbon line
Superior strength and stability
Made using the highest quality components
Virtually Invisible in the water
Natural presentation to fish
Featuring high refractive index and fantastic leader material, the P-Line CFX is one of the best fluorocarbon leaders that one can buy for walleye.
Monofilament Fishing Line
Best Overall: Berkley XL906-15
- No snapping
- Good at smooth casting, abrasion resistance, and strength for better control with different sizes of fish
- Suit for different fishing techniques, a versatile option
- Get a bit of memory
- Slightly stretch out over time
Built to be super-sensitive, you can get good fishing feeling about structures and strikes with Berkley XL906-15.
It truly is strong, abrasion-resistant yet smooth to boost your confidence and make better control when fighting with big fish. The spool is ranging from 8 to 60 pounds while the length is 110 yards to properly suit for multiple fishing techniques.
We didn’t have any snapping problems while testing this line as well, which is the best thing found in monofilament lines.
|Berkley XL906-15 Specifications|
Sensitivity and a smooth cast
Total of 300 yards
10-pound test; a clear color
Berkley XL906-15 is a very basic monofilament line highlighting good strength, abrasion and impact resistance, smooth casting, and sensitivity. It’s all you need for walleye fishing but wat much cheaper.
Most Durable: Berkley Trilene Big Game
- Suit for many fishing styles, such as wintertime cranking, buzzbaits, and topwater plugs
- Superb durable to hold up well against big fish with no breakage
- Large diameter, giving higher risks of visibility in the water
Berkley Trilene Big Game is one of the most durable lines at this low price point.
Different from fluorocarbon lines, mono is floating in the water, making it an unbeatable choice for wintertime cranking, buzzbaits, or topwater plugs. No exception with the Big Game.
It is remarkably stretchy, buoyancy, and tough to be a huge difference-maker.
Whether you’re fighting with a large-sized walleye or fishing underneath docks, rest the heart that it won’t break easily. Its larger diameter is key for that. Even though this is a controversial feature, can’t deny it’s really useful to increase the line’s durability with low-memory retention.
|Berkley Trilene Big Game Specifications|
Green: 0.012 – 0.028 inches
Solar: 0.012 – 0.028 inches
Clear: 0.012 – 0.022 inches
Green: 10 – 50 pounds
Solar: 10 – 50 pounds
Clear: 10 – 30 pounds
Green: 275 – 1500 yards
Solar: 275 – 1500 yards
Clear: 440 – 1500 yards
Made using the highest quality materials
Incredible strength for confidence and control
Extra tough and abrasion resistant
Highlighting superior durability without increasing the line’s memory, Berkley Trilene Big Game is the best option for topwater plugs.
Strongest: Stren Original Service Spool
- Built to be ultra-strong – a nice choice for faster retrieval or distance casting with less wear-outs.
- Easy to tie knots – beginner-friendly
- Feature UV guard and higher abrasion resistance for longer lifetime and versatility to use in different conditions
- Slightly absorb water, which will lose its strength over time
- A little bit much stretch
- Feature some minor memory issues
Last but not least, we’ve got the Stren Original Service Spool here for anyone who needs an ultra-strong mono line for distance casting or to improve the speed of retrieval.
It is quite strong and supple for what it is and also features a huge amount of abrasion resistance. With the UV Guard, the lifetime of this line is increased significantly to handle abuse for both salt and freshwater conditions.
Not to say that it’s very easy to tie knots.
Even though the line is known to absorb little fluid to probably lose its strength over time, for the price, we feel such quality is really excellent.
|Stren Original Service Spool Specifications|
300 – 2400 yards
UV GUARD extends the lifetime of your line
Tough and abrasion resistant
Low memory for easy casting and handling
Stren Original Service Spool makes a sweet spot between strength and price tag to give those budget-minded fishers a chance to try premium mono lines without breaking their bank.
How To Choose The Best Fishing Lines For Walleye?
- The three most common types of fishing line for walleye trolling are either fluorocarbon, monofilament, or braided.
- The thing is, each of them features specific strengths and weaknesses to make them good for the job at some particular water conditions. And your task is to understand that to pick the right one for you.
- The ideal line for walleye trolling must have:
- Exceptional knot strength: to ensure it won’t fail when a heavy fish is hooked because the knot is considered the weakest link in any fishing line
- Low visibility: Because unlike pike, walleye is very picky and if they see the line, they won’t bite
- Reasonably thin diameter: As walleye have small, sharp teeth that can cut off too thin lines and escape
- Controlled stretch: Your line should feature little stretch as too much will be difficult to achieve solid hooksets
- Superior abrasion resistance: Because your line will be frequently subjected to abuse from other trolling gear, such as line clips, snap weights, in-line boards, and planer board releases
- The good news is most monofilament lines – which are also the most affordable type – can relatively meet these standards. It’s a good choice for budget-minded fishers and beginners because monofilament is quite easy to use as well.
- But for intermediate to pro anglers, you can level up to braided lines.
- They are well-loved for high sensitivity and strength that can handle well sizeable fish like walleye. The only flaw of it is, braided lines usually come in thicker diameter.
- From that point, fluorocarbon might be the best option for walleye trolling as it’s sensitive, strong, powerful, and invisible. This is also the most favorite choice of pros, except for its costlier price range.
- The best range of pound tests should make its line powerful enough to bear big-sized walleye but still thin enough to enable popular trolling lures, like crankbaits to reach lower depths.
- Besides, pound test is dependent solely on the water condition you are fishing in.
- For example, in small river systems and creeks that only produce 2-5 pounds’ walleye, a 10- to 12-pound test line is just enough. But if that is a bigger lake capable of offering 10-pound+ walleye, you should prepare a stronger line – around 14 to 20-pound test.
- If you don’t know much about that river system, the range of 10 to 14 pounds’ test is ideal for most walleye trolling applications.
Which Brands Make The Best Fishing Lines For Walleye?
- What makes PowerPro as well-favorited as nowadays is their extraordinary braided Spectra Fiber treated with the Enhanced Body Technology for superior strength, smoothness, and sensitivity. If you’re in need of either braided or monofilament line, this is the best address.
- P-Line was first launched in the North American market in 1982 and quickly caught the attention of many fishing enthusiasts by its copolymer based technology.
- With experience in the copolymer and exclusive fluorocarbon technologies, it keeps developing to be the leader in terms of quality, high-performance fishing lines.
- Berkley was created in 1937 but officially established in 1945, focusing on the nylon-coated wire for use in fishing leaders. One of the most notable marks of Berkley was in 1959, its Trilene lines were first launched and caught huge attention.
- At Stren, you will find a wide range of types of fishing lines made with quality, practical characteristics and exclusive technologies for the best performance. They’re monofilament, fluorocarbon, and super lines to fit any fishing applications and needs.
How deep do you fish for walleye?
This feature is dependent on two things – the water conditions and the weather.
For example, during summer, in highly fertilized lakes, walleye tend to be at 10 feet or shallower.
And when the temperature drops or in the autumn, pitching a jig into 2 or 3 feet’ depth can get a good catch but in super-clear lakes or rivers, walleye can be at very serious depth – 30 to 80 feet. That’s why many fishers miss on the action bite during this time of the year.
How do you rig for walleye?
For decades, Lindy Rigging has been the best tactic for walleye trolling fishermen, especially in spring through fall. Simply, it’s a horizontal jigging technique that lets live bait slowly flow through the strike zone
If you want to learn more, watch this video:
What color fishing line is best for walleye?
Commonly are green and camo.
What is the best month to catch walleye?
During and after the spawning season, usually in the spring, this is the best time for catching walleye. But if you miss it, summer nights and autumn months are also idea.
What color jig is best for walleye?
It’s scientifically stated that walleye see in the green-orange-red portions of the color spectrum and is the most sensitive to red-orange. So we highly recommend orange and chartreuse when choosing jig colors.
Every part of your fishing gear plays an essential part to catch a better trophy and the line isn’t left out. Using the best fishing line for walleye trolling is key to make your fishing trip more successful.
We hope our guide has given you enough information to prepare better for the next catch. Good luck with the waters and stay safe.