In our quest to find the best insulated hunting boots, over 35 pairs of shoes have been purchased over the course of 6 months, examining each candidate across numerous metrics. We have concluded to these eight top options with exceptional performance in specific categories.
Here are the best insulated hunting boots you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Hisea Hunting Boots
- Best For Wider Feet: ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots
- Best For Rain And Mud: Muck Wetland Rubber Premium Men's Field Boots
- Best For Extreme Cold Conditions: TideWe Rubber Neoprene Boots
- Best Overall: Manfen Women's Hiking Boots
- Best For Smaller Feet: XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot
- Best For Extreme Conditions: Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot
- Best For Big Calves: WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots
|Top 8 Best Insulated Hunting Boots|
|Hisea Hunting Boots||Read Our Review|
Best For Wider Feet
|ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots||Read Our Review|
Best For Rain And Mud
|Muck Wetland Rubber Premium Men's Field Boots||Read Our Review|
Best For Extreme Cold Conditions
|TideWe Rubber Neoprene Boots||Read Our Review|
|Manfen Women's Hiking Boots||Read Our Review|
Best For Smaller Feet
|XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot||Read Our Review|
Best For Extreme Conditions
|Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot||Read Our Review|
Best For Big Calves
|WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots||Read Our Review|
Men’s Insulated Hunting Boots
Best Overall: Hisea Hunting Boots
- 100% Waterproof, durable, and easy to clean - high-grade, premium rubber
- Extra solid traction and stability - molded outsoles
- Good breathability, comfort, & warmth - air mesh lining, cushioning EVA midsoles, and 5mm CR flex-foam
- Custom-fit – back gussets with cinch buckles
- Add a bit pressure on the side of the food
The Hisea continues its reign of dominance as our Best Overall’s insulated hunting boots. The shoe does it all, it is a versatile footwear that whether you’re playing, camping, fishing, hunting, or working outside, it will definitely keep your feet warm and dry, even in mud and cold water.
It features a 16 ½” shaft and sole, all made of high-grade, premium rubber that is endorsed to be virtually waterproof, durable, and easy to clean.
The outsole is particularly molded and sealed for extra solid traction and stability so that you can walk on snow or wet roads with more confidence.
Going inside, you’ll find an air mesh lining, cushioning EVA midsoles, and 5mm CR flex-foam. This brilliant combination helps soften every step you make, can stretch for a better fit, and keep warmth while still providing good breathability.
To yield a secure custom fit, there are some additional gussets attached in the back of the shoe with cinch buckles. The materials are hypoallergenic and nonabrasive, which is a big bonus.
|Hisea Hunting Boots Specifications|
High-grade, premium rubber
Air mesh lining, cushioning EVA midsoles and 5mm CR flex-foam
Back gussets with cinch buckles
Among the roomiest and warmest insulated hunting boots we tested, this is also
Best For Wider Feet: ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots
- Capture and return 90% of the user’s body heat for extreme warmth - the Heat-resistant Arctic Shield Retain insulation
- Easy to hygiene – removable insoles
- Extra protection to the heels, arches, and forefeet - The rubber outsole and 7mm neoprene upper
- Not ideal for sweaty feet
- The foot opening is a bit narrow
- Run a bit small
If you are on a tight budget or only go hunting during cold weathers occasionally, the ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots is an excellent affordable option.
Price aside, it is praised a lot for the extreme warmth, highlighting the Heat-resistant Arctic Shield Retain insulation. By preventing cold air in and warmth out, it can capture and return 90% of the user’s body heat, which works even more effective than other, more expensive insulation’s.
These insoles are removable for ease of hygiene as well.
The rubber outsole and 7mm neoprene upper are two other bonuses. This perfect combination provides extra protection to your heels, arches, and forefeet against sloppy, wet conditions.
|ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots Specifications|
The Heat-resistant Arctic Shield Retain insulation
The rubber outsole and 7mm neoprene upper
Not just designed to fit snugly wider feet, the ArcticShield Neoprene Outdoor Boots are also comfortable, well-insulated, and supportive. We love it and we think you will, too.
Best For Rain And Mud: Muck Wetland Rubber Premium Men's Field Boots
- No chafing or blisters
- Excellent shock absorption & waterproofing - 5 mm neoprene
- Great heat retention & warmth - Breathable air mesh lining with comfort rated from -20 °F to 50 °F
- Comfort & keep out debris or other objects - Stretch-fit comfort topline snugs calf
- A bit pricey
The Muck Wetland Rubber Premium Men's Field Boot is a favorite of those who work outdoors or shovel snow, and waterfowlers, for some good reasons.
The higher shaft designed with stretch-fit comfort topline snugs calf helps it keep out of debris, mud, or other objects efficiently while protecting the ankles from rocks and sticks. Besides, the shoe is 100% waterproof.
The biggest selling point about this model is its MS-1 molded outsole, which is considered an excellent performer in snow and mud.
While providing superb traction and grips, the breathable moisture-wicking air mesh lining with comfort rated between -20 °F to 50 °F will never make your toes frozen, even after hours of standing or walking in snow.
|Muck Wetland Rubber Premium Men's Field Boots Specifications|
5 mm neoprene
Comfort rated from -20 °F to 50 °F
Stretch-fit comfort topline snugs calf
The biggest selling point about this model is its MS-1 molded outsole, which is considered an excellent performer in snow and mud.
Best For Extreme Cold Conditions: TideWe Rubber Neoprene Boots
- Flexes - CR Flex-Foam paired with 15-way stretch nylon
- Toasty warmth in frost-bite weather - Comfort rated: -4°F/-20°C to 50°F/ 10°C
- Reliable – provide 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Pull loops are not as functional as other boots
- Not ideal for high arches
Among the most insulated hunting boots we tested, the TideWe Rubber Neoprene Boots outperformed for its extraordinary comfort rate.
In the temperature ranges of -4°F to 50°F, this can retain up to 90% of your body heat while preventing cold air from accessing inside. So it keeps your toes toasty warm and yet, no sweating.
The shoe is also lightweight and 100% waterproof with an emphasis on 15-way stretch nylon and waterproof CR Flex-Foam materials, offering great flexes to your feet during movements. In addition, it absorbs impact and provides comfort nicely.
None of our testers found blisters or hot spots on their feet after testing it. Above all, no sweat or bad smells.
|TideWe Rubber Neoprene Boots Specifications|
3.83 – 5.57 pounds
Fabric & 100% waterproof CR Flex-Foam
CR Flex-Foam paired with 15-way stretch nylon
Comfort rated: -4°F/-20°C to 50°F/ 10°C
If you are looking for the best-insulated hunting boots for extreme cold conditions, look no further.
Women’s Insulated Hunting Boots
Best Overall: Manfen Women's Hiking Boots
- Lightweight yet durable & waterproof - Waterproof mesh upper and Hydroshield Membrane
- Super-warm yet breathable and odor-free - 200 Grams Thinsulate Insulation for -30℃ & Anti-fatigue Insole
- Stable, shock-absorbent, and grippy - The EVA cup sole with integrated composite shank
- A bit clunky in style
- Create slight pressure points on the left side of the calf
- No wiggle room
The Manfen Women's Hiking Boots is probably a little clunky in style but if warmth and comfort are your major priorities, this is it.
Aside from the waterproof mesh upper, it highlights Hydroshield Membrane, molded TPU ankle support with snowshoe strap ridge and the 200 Grams Thinsulate Insulation for -22 degrees F.
In combination with the lightweight yet durable integrated inserted EVA midsole, it is seamlessly comfortable and durable. Even when walking through uneven and hilly terrains, you’ll feel significantly less fatigue than that on other shoes.
What we love the most is, after a full day hunting and hiking, it is odor-free and breathable.
|Manfen Women's Hiking Boots Specifications|
200 Grams Thinsulate Insulation for -30℃
Waterproof mesh upper and Hydroshield Membrane
The EVA cup sole with integrated composite shank
One of the warmest hunting boots we tested, this Manfen is overbuilt by necessity but full of comfort and breathability.
Best For Smaller Feet: XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot
- Fit snugly narrow feet – it’s smaller than normal size
- Sturdy enough when carrying loads - the EVA midsoles
- Look bulky
- The shaft takes longer to break-in
Designed to be a bit smaller than normal size, we found the XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot was perfect for narrow feet.
Regardless, it is full of functionalities, with virtually waterproof membrane, protective upper, and grippy outsole. The shoe also nails up with special technology – the molding TPU heel and molding rubber toe cap – for both unparalleled protection and comfort.
The 200 grams Thinsulate insulation for -13 degrees F gives you souped-up warmth at below freezing temperature and the EVA midsoles deliver moderate sturdiness when carrying weight.
In addition, the moisture-wicking mesh lining of these boots ensures your feet stay dry all day.
|XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot Specifications|
Waterproof mesh upper and Hydroshield Membrane waterproof
Rubber Toe Cap protection and Rubber Outsole
Molded TPU ankle support and Moisture-wicking mesh lining
This XPETI Women's Thermator Outdoor Boot is lightweight, sturdy, and comfortable enough for all-terrains wear, but it’s also narrow to be capable of keeping your small feet the best fitting.
Best For Extreme Conditions: Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot
- Give a custom fit to true women’s feet sizes - a slimmer design
- Keep you sure-footed on rocky, uneven, and wet trails – grippy outsoles & Extended Rubber Exterior
- Ultra-warm - insulation rate to -40 degrees F, 5mm CR flex-foam, & fleece lining
- A bit short for tall women
With an insulation rate to -40 degrees F and an outsole designed for solid traction, the Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot is specifically created for rugged performance over tough terrains.
Despite the slim-profile silhouette, it gives you fleece lining and 5mm CR flex-foam for satisfactory warmth and support. It amazingly keeps you sure-footed on rocky, uneven, and wet trails.
We also realized that such a slim design would give the wearer a custom true women’s fit with no loose points, especially around the ankles or calves. It moves nicely with your feet when you’re crouching or bending and keeps you stay light on your feet during the journey.
|Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot Specifications|
Feature a slimmer design
Grippy outsoles & Extended Rubber Exterior
Insulation rate to -40 degrees F
5mm CR flex-foam & fleece lining
Featuring an insulation rate down to -40 degrees F, a warm fleece lining, and more, the Muck Boot Arctic Hunter Women's Hunting Boot is undoubtedly made for true outdoorswoman to survive in extreme conditions.
Best For Big Calves: WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots
- Easy on & off - Pull-on Handles
- Stylish & high-fashion – 8 different color and pattern options to choose & Black Uppers make Legs Look Skinny
- Super-warm – returns 112% of body heat
- Easy to clean - self-cleaning ribbed outsoles
- Not ideal for frost-bite temperatures
According to the ultra-big calf diameter, we highly recommend the WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots for outdoorswomen with big calves.
It – as other good insulated hunting boots here – is completely waterproof, flexible, and comfortable. There is CR flex-foam, neoprene materials, and removable memory foam insole.
What sets it apart is the self-cleaning ribbed outsole. It features multiple ridges on the tread so that dirt can come out easily. In addition, it prevents radiated body heat from escaping like a champ for the allowance of 112% of the body’s warmth returning.
While offering exceptional functionality, WTW doesn’t close its eyes on the aesthetics of these boots, with 8 different color options provided.
|WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots Specifications|
Not only designed for big calves, the WTW Women's Rubber Neoprene Snow Boots are also stylish and cute, making it a fantastic choice for winter hunts.
How To Choose The Best Insulated Hunting Boots?
Which Is Your Hunting Style?
- If you want to hunt elk, deer, mule or sheep, consider hunting footwear that features high altitude to handle ascending, steep, and rough terrains. For early elk hunting season, prioritize to choose lightweight hunting boots with superb mobility.
- Sedentary hunters should look for over boots as they deliver better protection in extremely cold conditions.
- Boots made of Cordura nylon are perfect for scrub-trekking hunts based on their extraordinary abrasion resistance abilities.
- When the hunts require plenty of walking, you will want active hunting footwear with high-end features comprising of specifically-made Vibram soles and footbeds. The reason is these boots deliver excellent traction in the outsoles for better support.
- If you’re going to hunt in rugged trails, consider custom-fit rugged boots.
Amount Of Insulation & When You Plan To Hunt
- It’s true that the amount of insulation is affected by the season you decide to go hunting. Below are some simple ideas for beginners:
Amount of insulation
Late season hunting
-offer better protection in sedentary hunting activities or frost-bite conditions, especially if you’re still-hunting in a blind or stand
-consider thick insulated liners that can trap residual heat (should be 80% or higher)
-useful for active hunts in cold conditions, in northern regions, or at high altitude
-consider waterproof membranes
Late summer and early fall hunting
-Breathable and lightweight
-No compromises on wet weather performance
-Good ventilation to keep your feet dry all-day
-If the moisture isn’t a huge matter during this season, just skip waterproof membrane
- There are two common types of materials when it comes to insulated hunting boots: synthetic and leather.
- The strengths of synthetic upper material are:
- More affordable
- Lighter and more breathable than leather
- Less prone to molding and stretching over your feet, making it ideal for backcountry hunting
- In turn, it is less durable and waterproof than leather.
- Leather hunting boots have been the go-to choices for pro hunters so far, based on its exceptional durability which can take lots of abuse from trees, rocks, and other hard objects to last for decades. In addition, it gives excellent malleability to contour to your foot shape, giving it a glove-like fit.
Which Brands Make The Best Insulated Hunting Boots?
- Hisea is quite a young company compared to other OGs in this industry. Founded in 2011, however, the brand has rapidly received much love and trust from worldwide customers, especially since 2013 when it started selling its products on Amazon.
Muck Boot Company
- A bit older, here comes Muck Boot Company with over two decades in the industry. Their products are well-loved and outperformed other competitors for unparalleled reliability on different terrains in addition to the decent comfort and durability to last for years come.
- The youngest brand here, TideWe, established in 2017 and built to equip outdoors enthusiasts with top-notch footwear. But conversely, they’re very professional in product manufacturing. While providing a wide range of product lines for specific needs, their products are appreciated for both quality and performance.
Are rubber boots best for hunting?
It depends on your hunting needs, budgets, and preference. If you prefer a hunting boot that’s lightweight, decently breathable, and budget-friendly then, rubber boots are the best choice.
Should you size up in boots?
For hunting boots, we highly recommend choosing go-true-size boots for still-hunting days in the blind or less activities during the trips. But if you plan to move a lot or hunt in cold weather conditions, it’d better go a half size bigger for thick socks or swell-up feet at the end of the days.
How should mountain hunting boots fit?
It should fit snugly but not tightly with no pressure points or pinching points.
Do rubber boots have a good grip?
Yes, they do.
Rubber boots provide very good grip, especially when walking in the rain or wet trails.
Do hunter boots loosen up?
Exactly, hunter boots will break in after a couple of first weeks of wearing. This commonly happens in leather boots.
Deciding on the best insulated hunting boots can be an overwhelming task. To make it easier to wrap your around, figuring out the amount of insulation, the season planned to hunt in, and your hunting style is essential.
We hope this complete buying guide has been helpful to you. Thanks for reading, and happy hunting!