One of the biggest challenges for hiking in the winter is the low temperature among other difficulties. However, nothing should get in your way and stop you from winter hiking, and the best jacket for winter hiking will be an amazing solution.
Here are the best jackets for winter hiking (Jan 2021 Update):
- Best For Windy Days (Men’s Down Jackets): ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear
- Best For Wet Weather (Men’s Down Jackets): Wantdo Men's Jacket with Removable Hood
- (Men’s Down Jackets): Marmot Men's Jacket
- (Men’s Down Jackets): HARD LAND Men’s Packable Down Jacket
- (Men’s Down Jackets): Eddie Bauer Men's MicroTherm 2.0 Down Jacket
- Ultra-Lightweight (Women’s Down Jackets): Wantdo Women's Packable Ultra-Light Weight Short Down Jacket
- Best For Small-Framed People (Women’s Down Jackets): CIOR Women's Packable Down Jacket
- (Women’s Down Jackets): Lock and Love Women's Down Jacket
- (Women’s Down Jackets): CAMEL CROWN Women’s Puffer Insulated Coats
- (Women’s Down Jackets): Universo Women's Down Coat
- Best For Misty Weather (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): MOERDENG Men's Snow Coat
- Best For Snowy Days (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): PUREMSX Men's Down Alternative Jacket
- (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): The North Face Men's Thermoball Eco Jacket
- (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): Rdruko Men's Outdoor Ski Snow Jacket
- (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): Gopune Men's Softshell Jacket
- Best For Windy Days (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): MAGCOMSEN Women's Snow Jacket
- Best For Heavy Fog (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): CAMEL CROWN Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket
- (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): Little Donkey Andy Women’s Softshell Jacket
- (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): OutdoorMaster Fleece Jacket
- (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): The North Face Women's Carto Triclimate Jacket
|20 Best Jackets For Winter Hiking|
Best For Windy Days
|ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear|
Best For Wet Weather
|Wantdo Men's Jacket with Removable Hood|
|Marmot Men's Jacket|
|HARD LAND Men’s Packable Down Jacket|
|Eddie Bauer Men's MicroTherm 2.0 Down Jacket|
|Wantdo Women's Packable Ultra-Light Weight Short Down Jacket|
Best For Small-Framed People
|CIOR Women's Packable Down Jacket|
|Lock and Love Women's Down Jacket|
|CAMEL CROWN Women’s Puffer Insulated Coats|
|Universo Women's Down Coat|
Best For Misty Weather
|MOERDENG Men's Snow Coat|
Best For Snowy Days
|PUREMSX Men's Down Alternative Jacket|
|The North Face Men's Thermoball Eco Jacket|
|Rdruko Men's Outdoor Ski Snow Jacket|
|Gopune Men's Softshell Jacket|
Best For Windy Days
|MAGCOMSEN Women's Snow Jacket|
Best For Heavy Fog
|CAMEL CROWN Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket|
|Little Donkey Andy Women’s Softshell Jacket|
|OutdoorMaster Fleece Jacket|
|The North Face Women's Carto Triclimate Jacket|
There are two different types of down jackets:
- Goose filling down jackets – made of goose down or goose feathers
- Duck down jackets
The second option is a bit cheaper than the other, equivalent to the fact that it has lower fill power so, in terms of warmth and lightness, goose filling down jackets are the winner.
People choose this type of winter hiking jacket for many good reasons. First, it has decent compressibility, meaning that it can be compressed to a very small size for packing.
Secondly, it is too lightweight to feel like you’re wearing nothing yet still provides superb warmth. If you almost fall for this type of jackets, remember that it’s quite expensive, especially when talking about the lighter-weight, higher-fill designs,
And it isn’t hypoallergenic, obviously.
But the biggest cons of down jackets is it loses its loft down once getting wet.
Best For Windy Days (Men’s Down Jackets): ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear
- Extreme lightness yet warmth – the filling is made from 20% feather and 80% high-quality white duck down
- Good water-repellent, weather- and stain-resistant properties - 20D 400T nylon, stand collar, elastic cuffs and hem
- Easy to pack - take up the volume of a glass after bagging
- Look cool and stylish
- There are a few loose threads
- Sleeves are a little small
First up on our list is the ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear.
The shell is completely made from water-repellent and stain-resistant 20D 400T nylon, and the filling includes 20% feather and 80% high-quality white duck down.
It also has two SBS zippered pockets and two deep internal ones for your essentials. The collar, cuffs, and hem have elastic parts to optimize wind blockage and heat retention.
What we love the most about this jacket are its incredible lightness and compact packed size. It only takes up the volume of a glass after bagging, which is so convenient! Besides, it fits great and feels cool instead of the super baggy fat puffa jackets.
Considering its warm rating, this jacket is perfect to hold up cold weather, like windy days, but not for ski slopes.
|ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear Specifications|
100% 20D*400T Nylon
20% soft duck down
Filling: 20% feather and 80% high-quality white duck down; shell: 20D 400T nylon; takes up the volume of a glass after bagging
With high-quality materials, ergonomic design, and a good warm rating, the ZSHOW Men's Coat Outerwear earns our highest reward for windy days.
Best For Wet Weather (Men’s Down Jackets): Wantdo Men's Jacket with Removable Hood
- Still keep you dry if exposed to wet conditions 3 hours - 3000mm H20 WOE-TEX encryption Oxford fabric
- Provide toasty warmth - 440g hand-plus synthetic insulation, high-density triple stitching, covered snap placket, and front zipper closure
- Extra protection and custom fit – a detachable hood with drawcord
- The box was a little smaller than our initial expectation
- The horizontal “quilt” lines are not well defined
- Wish the drawcord of the hood could be better
Wantdo Men's Jacket is well-loved by loots of winter hikers because of its toasty warmth and weather resistance with no compromise of styling.
It is made of 3000mm H20 WOE-TEX encryption Oxford fabric, known for top-notch abrasion resistance, durability, windproof, and water-repellent properties. So if exposed to mist, light rain, or other wet conditions for up to 3 hours, it is no problem.
The filling is 440g hand-plus synthetic insulation. Combined with high-density triple stitching, covered snap placket, and front zipper closure, it keeps warmth pretty well.
We like the added detachable hood for extra protection to your head and hair if wanted. It has a drawcord to keep cold air outside while offering a custom fit.
|Wantdo Men's Jacket with Removable Hood Specifications|
Water-repellent encryption oxford fabric
440g hand plug synthetic insulation
3000mm H20 WOE-TEX encryption Oxford fabric; 440g hand-plus synthetic insulation, high-density triple stitching, covered snap placket, and front zipper closure;
For those hikers whose budget is around $55 to $60, the Wantdo Men's Jacket with Removable Hood is a great choice if all you need is something to hold up wet hiking conditions.
(Men’s Down Jackets): Marmot Men's Jacket
- Allow for temperature control and customized fit – drawcord + Velcro cuffs
- Convenient storage – interior pockets with zippers
- Keep warmth even in wet conditions – made of 100% moisture-resistant polyester + 700 fill power down
- Straightforward maintenance – machine-washable
- The shell could be sturdier
- Wish there was 25% more fill
Some guys are willing to invest more in exchange for a truly warm and functional winter jacket. Marmot’s bestselling 700 fill power down jacket has hundreds of 5-star reviews for its toasty warmth even in wet conditions plus custom-fit, optimal temp control, and convenient storage.
|Marmot Men's Jacket Specifications|
700 fill power down
drawcord + Velcro cuffs
interior pockets with zippers
100% moisture-resistant polyester + 700 fill power down
Besides, it has closure zippered hand pockets for increased warmth during cold days, and the fabric is machine-washable.
(Men’s Down Jackets): HARD LAND Men’s Packable Down Jacket
- Durable zippers – use YKK zippers
- Reliable and toasty warm at under freezing temp ranges - 90% down with RDS-certified 650 fill power + elastic hem and an adjustable drawcord hood
- No feather pilling - baffle-woven nylon shell with no stitches or threads
- Packable design
- Sleeves are quite long
- The hood is a bit small
- Cuffs aren’t elastic
This brand has developed a cult-like following for their extremely warm winter jacket that features a filling blend of 90% down with RDS-certified 650 fill power.
Another thing that plays a huge role in keeping you cozy at under freezing temperature ranges (merely 15 to 45 degrees F) is the elastic hem and adjustable drawcord hood.
Meanwhile, its shell is crafted entirely from baffle-woven nylon, which highlights no stitches or threads to ensure there’s no feather pilling. We really like the fact that it is very compactable that you can fold it down for packing or layering underneath other jackets.
|HARD LAND Men’s Packable Down Jacket Specifications|
100% Nylon shell
Filling: 90% down
650 fill power
use YKK zippers
90% down with RDS-certified 650 fill power + elastic hem and an adjustable drawcord hood
baffle-woven nylon shell with no stitches or threads
A bonus is it has 5 pockets with YKK zippers.
(Men’s Down Jackets): Eddie Bauer Men's MicroTherm 2.0 Down Jacket
- Decent insulating loft - RDS-certified 800 fill StormDown
- Protective and strong - 20D recycled ripstop polyester material
- Feel a little bit too thin
For a price range at around $130 to $230, you’ve got a high-quality down jacket from Eddie Bauer with an emphasis on RDS-certified 800 fill StormDown. What you’ll receive from this interior construction is a decent insulating loft no matter of the conditions.
|Eddie Bauer Men's MicroTherm 2.0 Down Jacket Specifications|
RDS-certified 800 fill StormDown
20D recycled ripstop polyester material
Meanwhile, its shell is 100% crafted from lightweight, 20D recycled ripstop polyester material, and the quality of stitching seems great. That makes the jacket strong with no pilling.
Ultra-Lightweight (Women’s Down Jackets): Wantdo Women's Packable Ultra-Light Weight Short Down Jacket
- Weigh around 220-320 grams - a 100% 20D 400T Nylon Taffeta shell with a DWR finish & duck down plus feather filling
- Good windproof capabilities - elastic hem seal, and nylon-bound cuffs
- Easy to pack – able to be stuffed in a pouch of 13 x 11.7 x 3.1 inches
- Allow for listening to weather podcast or music while hiking - a petite loop on the left shoulder & an opening media port
- The front zipper isn’t heavy-duty
This Wantdo jacket is the most sought-after option for female hikers who want to hike light.
It features a 100% 20D 400T Nylon Taffeta shell with a DWR finish while the inner padding is mainly from duck down with feathers, so the total weight is just around 200 to 300 grams.
The puffiness is moderate combined with great ventilation that you can layer more above it on those extremely cold days.
It is also good at windproof, shown through the elastic hem seal, and nylon-bound cuffs. Don’t worry about packing, it is able to be packed down into a small pouch of 13 x 11.7 x 3.1 inches.
The best part is a petite loop on the left shoulder to fasten and support your headphone cords as well as an opening media port for earphone wiring.
|Wantdo Women's Packable Ultra-Light Weight Short Down Jacket Specifications|
100% 20D*400T Nylon
80% Duck Down, 20% Feather
a 100% 20D 400T Nylon Taffeta shell with a DWR finish & duck down plus feather filling; elastic hem seal, and nylon-bound cuffs; a petite loop on the left shoulder & an opening media port
Every year of retesting, we end up wearing the Wantdo Women's Down Jacket the most, especially on those hikes that we prefer something ultra-light yet functional.
Best For Small-Framed People (Women’s Down Jackets): CIOR Women's Packable Down Jacket
- Affordable – priced around $20 to $50
- Able to be windproof and waterproof – nylon shell
- Extra protection for the head - a removable hood
- Unclear instructions
- The zippers aren’t sewn well
For petite female hikers, we assure you this will give a perfect customized fit with good length to not show your belly or back during movements.
Like most other counterparts, it is built to be lightweight, easy to pack, and functional. The shell provides superb windproof and waterproof performance while the down interior is toasty warm.
It also has four pockets (two zippered hand ones and two large, deep ones on the inside), a removable hood, and a carrying pouch.
For the price, you hardly beat it!
|CIOR Women's Packable Down Jacket Specifications|
Breathable nylon shell fabric
nylon shell; down filling; a removable hood
The CIOR Women's Packable Down Jacket is always our go-to choice first whenever given a choice for small-framed female hikers.
(Women’s Down Jackets): Lock and Love Women's Down Jacket
- Ideal for temperature ranges of +7 to -15 degrees C – made of duck + feather down filling
- Moisture-resistant, durable, and long-lasting - nylon shell with hem seal plus nylon-bound elastic cuffs
- The seams could be stronger
- Have a smell after unboxing
Featuring an insulation rating of around +7 to -15 degrees C, this is our confident recommendation for extremely cold weather.
The construction is worth talking about, including a DWR nylon shell and duck + feather down filling, which delivers unmatched warmth with no compromise of heft. The added hem seal plus nylon-bound elastic cuffs add to it extra wind protection and temp control.
|Lock and Love Women's Down Jacket Specifications|
Insulation: 80% Duck 20% Feather
Shell&Lining: 100% Nylon
made of duck + feather down filling
nylon shell with hem seal plus nylon-bound elastic cuffs
Do you know that a real duck down jacket is also compressible? That means you can pack it in your bag without much room taken.
(Women’s Down Jackets): CAMEL CROWN Women’s Puffer Insulated Coats
- Perfect for chilly nights – made from skin-friendly humanely sourced natural fiber filling + a moisture-resistant, stain-free nylon shell
- Extra warmth - adjustable drawstring hem, elastic cuffs, and windproof easy-pull front zippered hood
- Easy to take with you – compressible design + a pouch
- A bit tight at the waist
- Wish there were more color choices
If the climate in your living area just has chilly winter, this is a flawless option.
It has a skin-friendly humanely sourced natural fiber filling (comprised of 20% feather and 80% duck down) wrapped around by a 100% nylon shell with stain and water resistance. Long story shorts, it is incredibly comfortable and warm on cold days.
For enhanced warmth, it features adjustable drawstring hem, elastic cuffs, and easy-pull front zippered hood with windproof properties.
|CAMEL CROWN Women’s Puffer Insulated Coats Specifications|
Filling: 80% duck down, 20% feather
Shell: 100% nylon
skin-friendly humanely sourced natural fiber filling + a moisture-resistant, stain-free nylon shell
adjustable drawstring hem, elastic cuffs, and windproof easy-pull front zippered hood
compressible design + a pouch
As made of duck down, it is compressible for ease of packing, and there is also a carrying pouch to conveniently take it with you.
(Women’s Down Jackets): Universo Women's Down Coat
- Warmer and stronger – made of nylon shell + interior including 90% duck down + low-profile quilt pattern
- Lighter - expertly crafted sewn-through construction
- Convenient to use - hidden opening for earphone cords & three functional pockets
- Offer extra neck coverage - full-zip front design for stand-up collar
- Not really breathable
- Run small
Compared to the two above, this is added with 10% more duck down while the outer shell is made from 100% windproof nylon, making it warmer and more protective.
But what truly sets it apart is the full-zip front design for a stand-up collar to provide extra neck coverage, the low-profile quilt pattern to offer higher warmth level, and the expertly crafted sewn-through construction to make it lighter.
We also like the hidden opening designed for earphone cords so that you can listen to music, podcast, or answer phone calls while running/hiking/exercising and more.
|Universo Women's Down Coat Specifications|
Filling: 90% Duck Down, 10% Feather
Shell & Lining: 100% Nylon
nylon shell + interior including 90% duck down + low-profile quilt pattern
expertly crafted sewn-through construction
hidden opening for earphone cords & three functional pockets
full-zip front design for stand-up collar
Now, if you’re a vegan or allergic to goose/duck feathers or in a tight budget, synthetic jackets are a better choice.
This type doesn’t lose its warmth if getting wet just like the down ones, however, take note that it would be heavier to reach the same warm rating as a down jacket.
And it can’t be shrunk down such compact size for packing. In other words, it would take more space and weigh heftier in your backpack. If those flaws are just minor to your concerns, try this.
Best For Misty Weather (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): MOERDENG Men's Snow Coat
- Offer a water-repellent rating of 2000mm - superficial Pu transparent film coating & windbreak and a wear-resistant shell material
- Good heat remaining - 2400 needle cotton and light, soft, and plush shears
- Moderate breathability - fiber-like micro-pore structure
- A bit heavy
This relaxed-fit men’s jacket made of quick-dry material is our favorite pick for misty weather conditions.
Aside from the windbreak and wear-resistant shell material, it is coated with an extra layer of superficial Pu transparent film with a water-repellent rating of 2000mm. Inside is 2400 needle cotton combined with light, soft, and plush shears for good heat retention.
Yet, its fiber-like micro-pore structure still ensures a good amount of airflow in and out of the jacket to keep you from sweating during movements.
|MOERDENG Men's Snow Coat Specifications|
new high-quality polyester material
fiber-like micro-pore structure; 2400 needle cotton and light, soft, and plush shears; superficial Pu transparent film coating & windbreak and a wear-resistant shell material
Providing a water-resistant rating of 2000mm at a good price point, the MOERDENG Men's Snow Coat is our recommendation for misty hiking days.
Best For Snowy Days (Men’s Synthetic Jackets): PUREMSX Men's Down Alternative Jacket
- Provide extra protection and warmth in chilly days - double-thickened shell and lining & two zippered hand pockets with additional soft lining
- Durable - high-density polyester fabric and tightly-sewn small stitches
- Great windproof levels - tightened elastic rib-knit hidden storm cuff design
- Reliable - backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some gymers might feel a bit tight around the biceps
- The hood is a bit big
- The stitching sucks on the button
Aside from the great performance of this jacket, the hood makes it perfect for rain and snow.
Compared this to other counterparts at the same price point, it stands out for double-thickened shell and lining, meaning for extra protection and warmth in chilly days. Plus, the two zippered hand pockets have an additional soft lining to keep your hands warm.
It is also durable enough to bear hardwearing abuse and last longer, all thanks to the high-density polyester fabric and tightly-sewn small stitches.
Besides, the windproof levels of its cuffs are superior to others, as they’re made with tightened elastic rib-knit hidden storm design. It means your body heat loss is minimized while the cold wind is blocked efficiently outsides. Ah, it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|PUREMSX Men's Down Alternative Jacket Specifications|
4.3 to 4.7 pounds
double-thickened shell and lining & two zippered hand pockets with additional soft lining; high-density polyester fabric and tightly-sewn small stitches; tightened elastic rib-knit hidden storm cuff design
With a starting price point of merely $40, nothing can beat the mature workmanship, fabric quality, and snow-resistant properties of this PUREMSX Jacket.
(Men’s Synthetic Jackets): The North Face Men's Thermoball Eco Jacket
- Top-quality & reliable – made by The North Face incorporated with PrimaLoft
- Warmth yet packable – using ThermoBall technology plus recycled fabrics
- A bit pricey
We all know The North Face knows how to make a great winter jacket but our top pick would be the Men's Thermoball with an eco-insulation design and quality construction.
The brand has incorporated with PrimaLoft to apply ThermoBall technology to its synthetic insulation, along with recycled shell to make it a great alternative for down jackets. The warmth level of this model is really no joke when it works phenomenally well on all weather conditions.
And we’re glad that it comes with a package size for travel-light.
|The North Face Men's Thermoball Eco Jacket Specifications|
made by The North Face incorporated with PrimaLoft
using ThermoBall technology plus recycled fabrics
Bonus: If you’re wondering if this is an authentic The North Face jacket, look at the left chest where there is an embroidered logo with a signature TNF look.
(Men’s Synthetic Jackets): Rdruko Men's Outdoor Ski Snow Jacket
- Warm, skin-friendly, breathable – fleece lining
- Great windproof performance with custom-fit and temperature control – a polyester outer shell + Velcro, elastic cuffs, and a hood with drawstring
- Extra storage space – three pockets
- The drawstring on the hood could be stronger
- Its Velcro strap scratches the wrist sometimes
If your budget is not really loose, this is a nice try without flattening your wallet. It is priced around $50 to $60, featuring a windproof polyester outer shell with Velcro, elastic cuffs, and a hood with drawstring.
On the inside, the lining is 100% from skin-friendly, soft, warm fleece with decent breathability.
|Rdruko Men's Outdoor Ski Snow Jacket Specifications|
soft fleece lining
shell: 100% Polyester
a polyester outer shell + Velcro, elastic cuffs, and a hood with drawstring
The biggest bonus is it has up to three functional pockets, comprised of one inside, two hand pockets, and one zippered on the chest. So for winter sports, leisure traveling, camping, or daily wear, it’s all perfect.
(Men’s Synthetic Jackets): Gopune Men's Softshell Jacket
- Offer the next-level of skin comfort - a 100% waterproof softshell + heat-resistant, warm micro-polar fleece lining
- Secure, closure, and convenient to store your essentials, keep hands warm, and more – 5 functional pockets
- The zipper on chest pocket has a too tiny pull
- The zipper shuttle is on the wrong side
The Gopune Men's Softshell Jacket is designed with a 100% waterproof softshell while the inner lining is heat-resistant, warm micro-polar fleece. So compared to other counterparts, it gives you a higher level of skin comfort and ensures that you’re always dry when going outside.
|Gopune Men's Softshell Jacket Specifications|
92% polyester and 8% spandex
a 100% waterproof softshell + heat-resistant, warm micro-polar fleece lining
5 functional pockets
While the jacket is perfect for multiple winter sports, it gives you five functional pockets with two closure zippered hand pockets and one zippered on the chest.
Best For Windy Days (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): MAGCOMSEN Women's Snow Jacket
- Bang for bucks – include two separate pieces at a price point of under $60
- Flexible and versatile – fit most weather conditions
- Great windproof capabilities – include an additional zippered windproof hood
- The main front zipper which is a little difficult to get started
The MAGCOMSEN Women's Snow Jacket is truly a great deal when you’ve got two pieces for a price point of under $60.
That “two pieces” thing includes an inner fleece coat and an outer shell waterproof polyester coat so you can flexibly layer for specific weather conditions.
A notable thing about its removable fleece lining is you can convert a zippered windproof hood into it and wear on windy days.
|MAGCOMSEN Women's Snow Jacket Specifications|
softshell waterproof polyester
include two separate pieces at a price point of under $60; an additional zippered windproof hood
If your biggest concern when looking for a winter hiking jacket is superior windproof properties, this option will never let you down.
Best For Heavy Fog (Women’s Synthetic Jackets): CAMEL CROWN Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket
- Able to hold up inclement weather - a waterproof rating of 5000mm, American military-grade Teflon shell material and zippered seamless construction
- Flexible in styling - a two-piece jacket design
- Great zippers - YKK dual-sided zippers
- The wrists are a bit uncomfortable – too much padding inside
Highlighting a waterproof rating of 5000mm plus American military-grade Teflon shell material and zippered seamless construction, this CAMEL CROWN jacket is a solid choice for inclement weather like a heavy fog.
Similar to the previous option, it is a two-piece jacket for three different stylings based on specific climates.
We also find a small yet effective improvement on its zippers, which is YKK dual-sided type and the buttons are all wear-resistant.
|CAMEL CROWN Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket Specifications|
military-grade Teflon materials
a waterproof rating of 5000mm, American military-grade Teflon shell material and zippered seamless construction; a two-piece jacket design; YKK dual-sided zippers
CAMEL CROWN Women’s Waterproof Ski Jacket is the best choice for heavy fog conditions.
(Women’s Synthetic Jackets): Little Donkey Andy Women’s Softshell Jacket
- Ultra-warm hood – added with a 114F microfleece lining
- Give customizable fit - hook-and-loop cuffs, removable hood, and an adjustable drawcord hem
- The shell isn’t waterproof, meaning that it won’t be ideal for rainy, foggy, or snowy days
- A little heavy
While the hood is commonly underestimated by many winter jacket manufacturers, Little Donkey Andy doesn’t think you. That is proved through the 114F microfleece lining added to their jackets’ hoods, enhancing its heat retention in chilly, windy conditions.
Moreover, this hood is adjustable through a peripheral cord and removable if wanted.
|Little Donkey Andy Women’s Softshell Jacket Specifications|
95% Polyester / 5% Spandex
114F Micro Fleece
a 114F microfleece lining on the hood
hook-and-loop cuffs, removable hood, and an adjustable drawcord hem
It is also added with hook-and-loop cuffs as well as adjustable drawcord hem for a more flexible, customizable fit. Ah, with this product, you’ll have three functional pockets.
(Women’s Synthetic Jackets): OutdoorMaster Fleece Jacket
- Easy to style with jeans and leggings
- Thicker and warmer
- Durable and easy to maintenance - pinch-resistant YKK zippers, stain resistance and waterproof polyester softshell
- The hood didn't exactly fit right
For a stylish winter jacket that can go well with all kinds of leggings or jeans, this is the one. The simple design with a small, stylized logo on the left chest and matching full-zipper make it never out of style.
Meanwhile, its lining appears to be plusher, softer, and thicker compared to other counterparts at the same pricing.
|OutdoorMaster Fleece Jacket Specifications|
pinch-resistant YKK zippers, stain resistance and waterproof polyester softshell
OutdoorMaster also provides it with two options – full-zip hoodie and full-zip - with sturdy pinch-resistant YKK zippers. Another plus is softshell, which is made 100% from polyester with stain resistance and waterproof properties.
(Women’s Synthetic Jackets): The North Face Women's Carto Triclimate Jacket
- Able to be used in rainy or foggy conditions - a DryVent shell with DWR finish
- Warm & eco-friendly - PrimaLoft Black insulation made of 100% recycled materials
- Allow you to gear up - a zip-in-compatible integration system
- Not able to keep you warm in temperatures below 50 degrees F
- A bit expensive
- Slightly tight in the shoulders
If it’s usually rain during the winter in your area, this jacket is worth a try.
As constructed with a DryVent shell with DWR finish, it holds up well against foggy, rainy, or snowy conditions while keeping you comfortably dry. It also keeps you toasty warm thanks to the PrimaLoft Black insulation made of 100% recycled materials. Don’t worry, it’s lightweight!
|The North Face Women's Carto Triclimate Jacket Specifications|
100% recycled polyester taffeta.
a DryVent shell with DWR finish
PrimaLoft Black insulation made of 100% recycled materials
a zip-in-compatible integration system
A highlight point about this winter jacket is a zip-in-compatible integration system, which allows you to gear up with garments from TNF.
How To Choose The Best Jacket For Winter Hiking?
When it comes to winter jackets, there are several types available out there, but you need to choose the suitable type for hiking. Here are the best options:
It’s the best for outdoor activities in the winter since it’s lightweight and compatible with various actions.
This type often comes with additional features such as a helmet-compatible hood as well as pit-zips to allow for airflow.
Technical jackets are also waterproof, packable, more compressible, and big enough to wear over other layers.
If you want to hike freely but still look stylish, this is the one for you. This type of winter jacket is functional and versatile to allow for outdoor different activities like hiking and skiing.
The next factor you should look into is insulation, particularly synthetic or goose down or fleece. It all comes down to your own preference, but here’s the difference.
- Synthetic: made of polyester fibers, barely absorbs moisture and traps body heat. It’s suitable for extremely cold days with snow or rain.
- Goose down: warm and extremely lightweight but easy to get wet if there’s wet snow.
- Fleece: it’s a good material that easily repels water and it’s lightweight. It also keeps you warm, but not as well-insulated as synthetic or goose down.
You should choose nylon that’s DWR-treated for the face fabric since it’s abrasion-resistant, windproof, and waterproof. This material can come in different denier values, higher numbers mean more durability and more weight.
At the same time, some winter hiking jackets have a waterproof or wind-blocking membrane on the face baric to better protect the wearer from cold weather.
When you hike in the winter, you will likely encounter strong winds, snow, and even rain. Therefore, make sure your jacket is weatherproof.
Nowadays, Gore-Tex is a very popular technique used in jackets and other outdoor gears for its weatherproofing ability. While it lets your sweat evaporate, it stops water from getting in.
Pockets & Hood
Depending on the items you carry when hiking, choose a suitable number of pockets.
However, try to keep the list short because the more items you carry, the more weight you add to the pockets.
On the other hand, a hood is a great way to protect yourself from snow and rain. It also helps with insulation and warmth when you’re outside in the winter. Most winter jackets come with a detachable hood, so you can leave it home when you don’t need it.
And lastly, regardless of the activity, a jacket that fits is always better than if it’s too small or too large.
Make sure it’s big enough for you to wear under layers but not too large that becomes bulky.
Which Brands Make The Best Jacket For Winter Hiking?
This brand is professional in making outdoor gears. If you are looking for a high-quality jacket at a reasonable price, this is your go-to brand.
With nearly 10 years of experience in the industry, this company produces outdoor items with comfort in mind. It excels in making jackets that will absolutely fit your body.
This brand has been offering quality clothing items for outdoor activities since 2005. Not matter if you’re a newbie or an experienced hiker, you will find a perfect fit here.
Are winter hiking jackets worth it?
Yes, of course. Winter hiking jackets keep you warm in the winter while providing enough mobility and flexibility so you can hike freely with comfort. Therefore, if you want to enjoy your hikes in the winter, a hiking jacket is a must.
Down vs. synthetic jacket?
Both these types of jackets offer warmth in the winter. However, down jackets get wet easily, therefore cannot be used when it snows or rains. Meanwhile, synthetic jackets are both windproof and waterproof, best for bad weather.
What fabrics to wear in winter?
There are several good fabrics for winter clothing, such as wool, wool blends, fleece, fake fur, corduroy, and nylon
Should I wear a layer with winter hiking jackets?
Yes, under the winder hiking jacket, you should wear layers to help keep your body warm.
Should winter hiking jackets be form-fitting?
No, it shouldn’t. Your hiking jacket should fit your body, but form-fitting would be too tight, not comfortable for this activity. You should wear a jacket that fits but provides enough mobility when you hike.
We hope that you have now figured out how to get the best jacket for winter hiking among countless models out there.
Remember that the most important factors are insulation and weatherproof features before considering other things when shopping for a hiking jacket for this winter.