Do you know that the AA recommends a range between 18% and 43% of light transmission for safe driving?
And polarized shades are the best solution as they reduce glare and UV rays, which is the main drawback over standard models.
This article today will go through the top 6 best polarized sunglasses for driving so you can get a better idea to pick the right pair for you:
Here are the best polarized sunglasses for driving (Mar 2024 Update):
- Best Overall: RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses Rb833
- Best For Convertible Car Driving: KastKing Skidaway Polarized Sports Sunglasses
- Half-Rimmed Design: Bircen Men’s Polarized Carbon Fiber Sunglasses
- Affordable: DUBERY Men’s Sports Polarized Sunglasses
- Flexible: MOTELAN Polarized Outdoor Sports Sunglasses
- 7-Layer Lens: TOREGE Polarized Sports Sunglasses
|Top 6 Best Polarized Sunglasses For Driving
|RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses Rb833
|Read Our Review
Best For Convertible Car Driving
|KastKing Skidaway Polarized Sports Sunglasses
|Read Our Review
|Bircen Men’s Polarized Carbon Fiber Sunglasses
|Read Our Review
|DUBERY Men’s Sports Polarized Sunglasses
|Read Our Review
|MOTELAN Polarized Outdoor Sports Sunglasses
|Read Our Review
|TOREGE Polarized Sports Sunglasses
|Read Our Review
Best Overall: RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses Rb833
- Eliminate all ultraviolet radiations and harmful blue light to save your eyes from many eye diseases
- Reduce scattered light and reflected light for improved visibility and true color restoration
- Nice packaging – ideal as a gift
- There is still the rainbow effect on reflective screens and surfaces that could be seen on other vehicles
- Just provide one size – it’s a little bit tight for big heads
The RIVBOS easily takes home our Best-Overall award this year.
Not only are they one of the most lightweight yet durable pairs we tested, but they also continue to impress us with their surprisingly reflected light elimination ability and solid eye protection.
That’s a big thank you to the TAC polarized layer embedded in these lenses. It delivers ultimate prevention from harmful blue light (up to 400nm) as well as all ultraviolet radiations – like UVA, UVB, and UVC.
Besides, there is an additional mirror coating to reduce the most scattered light and reflected light, restoring the most realistic color while protecting your eyes flawlessly.
Thes RIVBOS shades are also one of the pairs with most beautiful packaging, including a portable case and a color box. With a good warranty, it is perfect as a gift for somebody you love as well.
|RIVBOS Polarized Sports Sunglasses Rb833 Specifications
7.1 x 3.9 x 2.8 inches
High Grade SWITZERLAND TR 90 Material Frame
Exceptionally sturdy and well made
Lightweight, shatterproof, and made of 100% polarized lenses with mirror coating, the RIVBOS is an excellent choice for both day and night driving.
Best For Convertible Car Driving: KastKing Skidaway Polarized Sports Sunglasses
- Square-lenses for extra coverage
- Deliver excellent optical quality with no optical distortion to completely protect your eyes from glare, bright sunlight, and UV rays while keeping you from headaches or eye strain
- Increase depth and contrast perception optimally
- Resist to heat so your face won’t feel the hot burn if wearing it under sunlight for hours
- The yellow tints on the inside might make you feel slightly confused but after a while, it’s not a problem at all
When searching for the best shades for convertible car driving, we thought first about eye protection under bright sunlight and second about design.
The square-lens KastKing Skidaway takes the cake for its stylish look with full coverage to keep your eyes well-protected better. Besides, their polarized lenses are made of imported German and Japanese raw materials so no doubt for its unsurpassed optical quality.
Aside from the ability to resist UV rays and heat, they are ultra-lightweight, extremely flexible yet tough and efficiently scratch-resistant to survive years of active use.
Plus, the brown lenses are ideal for sunny to partly cloudy driving conditions while increasing depth and contrast perception optimally.
|KastKing Skidaway Polarized Sports Sunglasses Specifications
5.2 x 4 x 5 inches
KastKing Skidaway Polarized Sport Sunglasses
Protect your eyes from flying objects
1.0mm polarized lenses
Lens Width 2.32 Inches
If you are in need of a pair for driving in bright sun with wide sides for extra coverage, the KastKing Skidaway would be the best candidate.
Half-Rimmed Design: Bircen Men’s Polarized Carbon Fiber Sunglasses
- It is suitable for big faces
- Half-rimmed design for a cool, stylish look
- Despite glass lenses, they are very lightweight and comfortable for long drives
- Unbreakable and scratch- and impact-resistant in our drop tests – ideal for clumsy people
- For small faces, this might not conform perfectly to them
The most common matter of driving during the day is the road glare which quickly tires out our eyes and makes us distract from what we should be.
For optimal glare elimination, glass polarized lenses are the best go-to.
What makes this Bircen outstanding from other glass lens competitors to be our best choice for daily driving is, it’s very lightweight and feels comfortable for long drives.
However, the shades are built to last for years so they’re very strong, flexible, and unbreakable in our drop tests.
|Bircen Men’s Polarized Carbon Fiber Sunglasses Specifications
7.2 x 3 x 2.5 inches
Magnesium aluminum frame
Bircen Men’s Polarized Carbon Fiber Sunglasses
Lens width: 65 millimeters
Have a UV rating of 400
Carbon fiber arm
The biggest selling point of this unit is the UV rating of 400 and it’s completely polarized to block all the light, glare, and ultraviolet radiation. Worth every penny!
Affordable: DUBERY Men’s Sports Polarized Sunglasses
- Nicely eliminate glare and bright sunlight to avoid distracting you from driving
- Stylish design – ideal for different purposes of use
- Include a carrying case
- Not scratch- or impact-resistant
The DUBERY are a perfect set of sunglasses at a reasonable price.
It comes with a composite polarized lens and matte plastic frame but the plastic does not feel cheap at all. It’s rather sturdy, solid and comfy.
Our testers really loved its edgy design. It reminds you of Oakley Holbrook or Ray-Ban, which gives a timeless sense of fashion so aside from driving, you can confidently wear these shades to all Corey Hart.
The best thing is, they even come with a solid carrying case.
|DUBERY Men’s Sports Polarized Sunglasses Specifications
130 x 40 x 135 mm
Lens width: 55 millimeters
Lens height: 40mm millimeters
Bridge: 20mm millimeters
Arm: 135mm millimeters
At under $20, the DUBERY, highlighting its perfect combination of style and function, is the best contender for budget-minded drivers.
Flexible: MOTELAN Polarized Outdoor Sports Sunglasses
- Built to be shatterproof and unbreakable, no matter how hard you beat, sit on, or step on it
- Cool and military look
- Include a cloth bag case for extra convenience and protection
- As it just comes in one size, the shades might be tight for chubby faces
- The mirror coating is prone to chip off
- The camo coating is easily faded if wearing under direct sunlight frequently
For those who have been looking for a wrap-around style of shades in camouflage, look no further than the MOTELAN.
Out of its cool and military look, what you’ll also get is excellent flexibility and polarized performance to cut the glare and make it easier to drive.
Love the fact that they’re built to be ultra-flexible. We checked this feature by beating, sitting on and stepping on the shades, there was not even a small crack on them, which is much better than we initially thought for the price.
While providing a hard case, its extra included cloth bag case is a big bonus for safe storage.
It fits nicely in any glove box of a car without taking too much space so that when the weather changes or evening comes where you don’t need sun protection for your eyes anymore, just grab and use it.
|MOTELAN Polarized Outdoor Sports Sunglasses Specifications
6 x 3 x 2.1 inches
TR90 Camouflage Frame
Photochromic polarized lens
Excellent Protection for your eyes - 1.1 mm
We love the MOTELAN shades for not just its flexibility to be shatterproof or the great deal but also its excellent performance to cut glare more than efficiently.
7-Layer Lens: TOREGE Polarized Sports Sunglasses
- Equipped with 7-layered TAC lenses to be polarized, durable, UV-protected and shatterproof
- The rimless jacket frame design looks cool and character
- The exterior coating is prone to wipe away if using harsh cleaning agents
- It fogs up when you sweat
Driving in the rain is always a nightmare for drivers as not only does wet roads decrease the wheels’ grip levels but your visibility is also limited.
But it’s not a matter anymore with the TOREGE shades.
It is 100% UV400 protection coated with high-quality polycarbonate frames to be scratch and impact resistance, and unbreakable. In short, it enables a clear lower vision field, making scenery much clearer without squinting your eyes.
For the best part, it is the 7 layers embedded in the TAC lens with two bonding layers for ultimate durability.
With a good price and a good warranty, there’s no any reason to not give this a try, right?
|TOREGE Polarized Sports Sunglasses Specifications
Grilamid TR90 frame
Cool Rimless jacket frame design
100% UV400 protection coating
Built with 7-layer TAC lenses, the TOREGE is a perfect choice for serious driving in different weather conditions that want specialized shades.
How To Choose The Best Polarized Sunglasses For Driving?
Lens materials do not influence on longevity of the shades themselves, but also the wearer’s comfort.
Currently on the market, there are three popular kinds of lens materials – nylon, polycarbonate, & glass.
- Nylon is actually a higher-level of polycarbonate in terms of flexibility so that it’s nearly unbreakable and shatterproof. Besides, it is better at resisting scratches and impact to hold up well daily abuse or any drop tests.
- Polycarbonate is the most common kind of lens material because of its lightness and affordability. But as stated above, it’s not scratch-resistant efficiently. Not to say that the image quality is more distorted than glass or nylon.
- Glass: The highest-quality kind of lens materials that delivers little to no image distortion, saving you from eye strain and headaches. However, as it’s easy to break, we consider its durability is less than polycarbonate or nylon. And besides, glass is very heavy to wear for a long time.
This feature plays a vital role in two factors – comfort and durability.
But take note that the better the performance of your shades, the more expensive, which is the reason you should consider a sweet spot between your budget and these elements.
There are 4 popular types of frame materials:
- Plastic: Frames made of this material is very affordable and lightweight, which is a good choice for budget-minded drivers. However, they are fairly fragile.
- Aluminum: This is quite durable, hypoallergenic, lightweight, and comfortable to wear for hours. But compared to titanium or stainless steel, it is not as strong as.
- Stainless steel: It’s the most durable and strong material out of a bunch to deliver the best longevity. Not to say that it is much cheaper than aluminum. Unfortunately, this is also the heaviest that might hurt your eyes and nose after wearing for a while.
- Titanium: This kind of material takes all the best parts of stainless steel and aluminum. It’s lighter than aluminum while being much stronger than steel. And for such extraordinary performance, it is the expensive price tag.
- Keep in mind that lens tint does not affect the protection from UV rays, but the image distortion and visibility clarity in certain environments.
- There are 4 common color options – brown, green, grey, and blue.
- Only two classes of color will benefit a driver.
- The first is gold/amber/yellow. It’s better to be used in low light conditions, such as night driving, dawn, and dusk. The second class is green or grey. They work perfectly to create the least amount of distortion to improve your visibility from partly cloudy to sunny conditions.
Which Brands Make The Best Polarized Sunglasses For Driving?
- KastKing is one of the most well-known outdoor brands recently, established in 2011 by a skillful and experienced team. What most customers love about their products is affordable innovation, usually 30% or more cheaper on average.
- This brand was founded in 2010, specializing in goggles, sunglasses, and apparel. They aim to manufacture the most cost-efficient yet functional sunglasses to improve the wearers’ visibility under the sun. Up to now, it has been recognized by more than 5 million worldwide outdoor sports enthusiasts.
What color polarized lenses are best for driving?
Amber and copper tints
What color lens is best for night driving?
Pale yellow lenses.
It’s because this hue improves contrast efficiently in low light environments, making objects appear clearly and colors brighter.
Are Polarized lenses good for driving?
Polarized lenses reduce dramatically glare from reflected light, scattered light, and headlights. It limits the eye strains and squinting to help drivers feel more comfortable to focus on what they should be.
Are Polarized sunglasses good for night driving?
Yes, they are a perfect way to deal with glare from headlights or light reflecting off of wet surfaces on the road, improving your visibility at night.
Which is better polarized or non-polarized sunglasses?
Depending on the signature characteristics of each shade, the polarized is ideal for walking around, biking, driving, and fishing. They help to cut out glare for better vision, saving you from unwanted accidents.
The non-polarized sunglasses are better for operating heavy machinery, flying, and skiing because seeing glare in these cases help you better distinguish between snow and ice, or read indicators in the cockpits.
Remember, there are no best polarized sunglasses for driving that fit flawlessly to everyone. Only the way to find out a good pair for you is, know what you need, your preference, and your budget. Hopefully, this complete guide has been useful for you. Thanks for reading!