A good pair of pants is just as crucial as good tops when you run in the winter. So, how can you know which are the best running pants for cold weather? What features must they have?
Here are the best running pants for cold weather (Jan 2021 Update):
- Best Overall (Men’s): ZENGVEE Men's Sweatpants
- Best For Windy Days (Men’s): INBIKE Winter Fleece Windproof Thermal Pants
- Best For Large-Framed People (Men’s): ASICS Men's Aptitude 2 Run Pant
- Best Overall (Women’s): THE GYM PEOPLE Thick High Waist Yoga Pants
- Best For The Thinner Body Type (Women’s): Champion Women's Fleece Open Bottom Pant
- Sweat-Wicking (Women’s): BALEAF Women's Running Thermal Fleece Pants
|6 Best Running Pants For Cold Weather|
|ZENGVEE Men's Sweatpants|
Best For Windy Days
|INBIKE Winter Fleece Windproof Thermal Pants|
Best For Large-Framed People
|ASICS Men's Aptitude 2 Run Pant|
|THE GYM PEOPLE Thick High Waist Yoga Pants|
Best For The Thinner Body Type
|Champion Women's Fleece Open Bottom Pant|
|BALEAF Women's Running Thermal Fleece Pants|
Best Overall (Men’s): ZENGVEE Men's Sweatpants
- Comfortable feeling - hyper-fit with elastic waistband and adjustable drawcord
- Rapid-dry, lightweight, and breathable – 100% polyester
- Secure storage space - two zippered pockets
- Wish the pockets were deeper
We aren’t going to argue this is a running pant that will suit everyone, but if you care about comfort, breathability and want something that can afford for various outdoor activities, this ZENGVEE is one you should open the checkbook for.
Its hyper-fit with elastic waistband and adjustable drawcord delivers a nice comfortable feeling.
Combined with the high-grade polyester, it is rapid-dry, lightweight, and breathable that keeps you airy all the time.
The additional two zippered pockets are a nice bonus if you want some secure storage space for your essentials.
|ZENGVEE Men's Sweatpants Specifications|
hyper-fit with elastic waistband and adjustable drawcord; two zippered pockets; 100% polyester
For an affordable running pant that is also lightweight, comfy, breathable, and quality, the ZENGVEE Men's Sweatpants are worth investing.
Best For Windy Days (Men’s): INBIKE Winter Fleece Windproof Thermal Pants
- Excellent windproof, wear-resistant, and water-repellent performance - heavy-duty three-layer composite fabric
- Enhanced insulation levels - patched design
- Safe when running in low-light conditions - reflective details
- Extra comfort - extra-wide waistband with high elasticity
- The pockets have a thin lining
- The upper section is too long
Another worth-trying polyester running pant for cold weather is this INBIKE, which also features patched design for extra insulation.
But making it different from others is the heavy-duty three-layer composite fabric with enhanced wear-resistant, water-repellent, and windproof properties. The best thing is it doesn’t compromise breathability levels.
We pretty love the extra-wide waistband with high elasticity so you won’t feel too tight or too loose while wearing. Plus, no red skin marks at all!
For visibility improvement when running in low light conditions, ensuring your safety more, there are reflective details throughout the pants.
|INBIKE Winter Fleece Windproof Thermal Pants Specifications|
heavy-duty three-layer composite fabric; patched design; reflective details; extra-wide waistband with high elasticity
For the price point of under $30, nothing can beat the INBIKE Winter Fleece Windproof Thermal Pants for its top-notch windproof capabilities.
Best For Large-Framed People (Men’s): ASICS Men's Aptitude 2 Run Pant
- Easy to wear – tapered ankles
- Give a great fit – stretchy polyester fabric & elastic waistband
- The pockets are NOT zippered and shallow
- Not perform well in windy conditions
Having a large torso makes you exhausted in choosing the right fit for your lower body when it comes to form-fitting running pants?
The good news is with this one, it happens no more!
It emphasizes Hydrology fabric and gripper elastic at the leg opening so putting it on/taking it off isn’t a real fight anymore.
Meanwhile, the inside material is skin-friendly, stretchy, and lightweight that you might feel like wearing nothing sometimes. The waist drawstring is very generous.
|ASICS Men's Aptitude 2 Run Pant Specifications|
tapered ankles; stretchy polyester fabric & elastic waistband
All-in-all, this cold-weather running pant has everything one would need for their large-framed body.
Best Overall (Women’s): THE GYM PEOPLE Thick High Waist Yoga Pants
- Make you look slimmer and not fall when you’re running - high wasted design with good compression
- Soft, stretchy, comfortable and durable - four-way stretch nylon material
- Prevent chafing and rubbing - interlock seams
- Allow for a full range of mobility - gusset crotch
- The seams are not flat or smooth
- Not comfortable when sitting down – its elastic band sits at the top of the waistband
- Unequal quality among different color options
One of the main reasons why most female runners love choosing this THE GYM PEOPLE Pant is its high wasted design with good compression to hence not fall when you run.
You won’t either look pregnant like when wearing others. Contrastingly, the ergonomic design makes you seem to be slimmer.
The four-way stretch nylon material gives really great skin-feel – soft and comfortable, along with enhanced durability compared to the polyester.
It also is built with interlock seams for chafing and rubbing prevention. The gusset crotch, besides, is added for maximum freedom in movement. A big bonus is its enormous pockets that actually hold whatever you need.
|THE GYM PEOPLE Thick High Waist Yoga Pants Specifications|
Cotton & Nylon
high waisted design with good compression; four-way stretch nylon material; interlock seams; gusset crotch
With no serious cons, THE GYM PEOPLE Thick High Waist Yoga Pants are our Best Overall Pick award winner.
Best For The Thinner Body Type (Women’s): Champion Women's Fleece Open Bottom Pant
- Ideal for thin-body runners – open leg design
- Great pilling resistance plus & prevent shrinkage after washing - polyester plus cotton fabric blend
- Extra comfort - two open side pockets with rib detailing and elastic drawcord
- A little too long in the leg.
These running pants from Champion are a great choice for thin body type because of its open leg design for a more feminine look as well as hiding that flaw of yours better delicately.
Regardless, they’re quite soft, comfortable, breathable, and low-maintenance.
The polyester and cotton fabric blend help them repel pilling efficiently as well as minimize shrinkage after wash to hence prevent form loss over time.
They also give you two open side pockets with rib detailing and an elastic drawcord at the waistband for extra comfort.
|Champion Women's Fleece Open Bottom Pant Specifications|
Rib: 65% Polyester, 35% Cotton
Body: 60% Polyester, 40% Cotton
open leg design; polyester plus cotton fabric blend; two open side pockets with rib detailing and elastic drawcord
The Champion Women's Fleece Open Bottom Pant is a great option for your thin body.
Sweat-Wicking (Women’s): BALEAF Women's Running Thermal Fleece Pants
- Deliver superior moisture controls to other counterparts - 5% spandex and 95% polyester
- Feel warm in cold weather – a brushed cotton-blend fleece lining
- Able to secure a 6.5” smartphone – deep side pockets with zippers
- High visibility in darkness – reflective details
- The drawstring cord could be comfier
If moisture-wicking properties are what you focus on the most when finding a running pant, this is worth a try.
Its material blend includes 5% spandex and 95% polyester so undoubtedly, it delivers decent moisture management to keep you cool and airy while running. Besides, it has a brushed cotton-blend fleece lining for extra warmth.
If you want to cinch the pants tighter, it has an adjustable elastic drawstring.
Our testers also like how easy it is to wear (as well as take-off), thanks to the elastic ankle cinch. But the best part is its deep side pockets with zippers that can accommodate a 6.5” smartphone.
Moreover, it has reflective details for higher visibility in low light conditions.
|BALEAF Women's Running Thermal Fleece Pants Specifications|
95% polyester/5% Spandex
5% spandex and 95% polyester; 5% spandex and 95% polyester; deep side pockets with zippers; reflective details
Looking for the best cold-weather running pants for sweat-wicking? This is a no brainer!
How To Choose The Best Running Pants For Cold Weather?
The choice of style depends on your running style, which will result in choosing between running tights and looser fit.
If you are exercising to improve your health only, wearing looser pants around the feet and ankles can provide certain comfort.
However, if you’re training to enhance speed or break a record, running tights are better or you may trip and fall. In terms of the color, just pick whatever you like.
When shopping for running pants in the cold weather, you should choose between synthetic, polyester, or fleece. Cotton is not recommended.
- Synthetic: the best choice for wicking moisture when you run. It also dries quickly and helps optimize your performance.
- Polyester: the most commonly used in making running pants, providing comfort and utilitarianism.
- Fleece: a signature material for cold weather, providing moisture-wicking and comfort as well.
When you run for a long time, your body will eventually heat up, even in the winter, which is why breathability is an important characteristic to look for.
You should choose running pants with zippers at the bottom of the legs as they allow for more airflow.
Which Brands Make The Best Running Pants For Cold Weather?
Over the past 70 years, this brand has been committed to offering the best sporting gear for people. Here, you will find running pants of high quality that help you optimized performance.
Established in 1919, this is one of the biggest brands in the sportswear industry. you will surely find for yourself the highest-quality pair of running pants.
This brand was founded in 2015 and specializes in workout clothing. With continuous research and development, it makes products with new features like airflow technologies and lightweight materials to give you the best working out experience.
What do you wear to run in cold weather?
When running in cold weather, you should wear designated clothes with multiple layers. Also, wear insulated running gloves or liners to protect your hands.
How cold is too cold to run outside?
If the temperature goes down to under -20 degrees F, just stay at home.
Is running in cold weather bad for your lungs?
This depends on each person’s health condition. If you’re in good health, a couple of practices will help you get used to running in the cold. But if you have asthma, you will likely suffer from chest tightness when running in cold weather.
Can you run in sub-zero degree weather?
Yes, but not more than 30 minutes. If you run for too long at this temperature, you will eventually lose your body heat and may experience hypothermia or frostbite.
What is the best material for running pants for cold weather?
The best material for cold weather running pants is either synthetic or polyester.
Now that it’s the end of this post, we hope you have got the idea of how the best running pants for cold weather should be. Not just the best material, you also need to look for breathability and the right style.
Also, opt for one of our recommended brands to get the highest quality.