Fishing or cruising on a sit-on-top kayak can be extremely interesting and relaxing. However, it comes with risk. So you’ll need a decent kayak to pursue your hobby.
Here are the best sit on top fishing kayaks you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90
- Most Stable: Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100
- Best For 2 People: BKC TK219 12.2' Tandem Fishing Kayak
- Best For Calm Coastal Waters: Perception Kayaks Pescador
- Best For Beginners: Sun Dolphin Camino SS
- Highest Capacity: Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130
Best Overall: Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90
- Perfectly fit one person
- Comfortable and stable
- Lightweight and fast
- Fits to all types of water
- Features large storages and necessary accessories
- Only for one person
Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 is the perfect sit-on-top fishing kayak for one person. It is 9ft long, 32in wide, and relatively lightweight – 46 pounds yet high-capacity – 300 pounds. It features ergonomic backrests and cushioned seats, which is perfectly comfortable for one sitting on top and fishing.
The kayak is made from single piece polyethylene that is ultra-stable on the water. It is durable and leaf-proof that can get into all types of water, including lakes, rivers, and ocean. The sleek hull design allows Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 to move fast and turn easily.
The kayak has a built-in buoyancy and six scupper holes to keep you safe when needed. Other features include 4 fishing rod holders, universal mount for fish finder transducer or other rectangular base accessories, waterproof cargo hatches, front & rear storage space.
However, Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 is comfortable for only one person sitting on top.
|Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 Specifications|
All types of water: Lakes / Ponds, Rivers / Streams, Open Water / Ocean, Ocean Surf
1-person sit on top
4 flush-mount rod holders
V-Wave Center Hatch & storage wells
Built-in ergonomic backrest and cushion
Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 is the perfect sit on top fishing kayak for one person
Most Stable: Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100
- Comes with 5-Year Limited Warranty
- Fits to all types of water except ocean surf or poor water conditions
- Super durable and stable
- Features storages and necessary accessories
- Storage capacity is medium
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is 1 ft longer than Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90, in return, slightly heavier. As its brand name is Lifetime, this is a super durable sit-on-top fishing kayak with UV-Protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE) construction. It also comes with a 5-Year Limited Warranty.
To achieve the maximum stability, Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 features a flat bottom for primary stability (steadiness on flat water) and stability chine rails. However, a flat bottom is not so good on poor water conditions – the kayak is not great at staying stable when tipped on its side, so you might want to stay away from ocean surf or going fishing in bad weather conditions.
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 also features a sharp bow and a tracking skeg under the bottom for improved speed and maneuverability, and deep hull tracking channels for great tracking ability. To provide riders with maximum comfort, Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 features multiple footrest positions, adjustable padded seat back and seat pad.
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 has two 6″ storage compartments in rear and center, which is not so big compared with Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90, although Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is a little bigger.
|Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Specifications|
120 x 31 x 14 inches
Ocean bays, Rivers, Calm lakes
UV-Protected High-Density Polyethylene
Stable Flat Bottom
Deep Hull Tracking Channels
Stability Chine Rails
Multiple Footrest Positions
Adjustable Padded Seat Back and Seat Pad
Two 6″ Storage Compartments in Rear and Center
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 is a durable and stable sit-on-top fishing kayak for calm water.
Best For 2 People: BKC TK219 12.2' Tandem Fishing Kayak
- Two people sit comfortably
- Fits to all types of water
- Paddle parks allow you to free your hands
- Remain balanced even in choppy waters
BKC TK219 is a good choice for 2 – 3 people. It’s 12.2ft long and 32in wide, has 2 soft padded seats and two paddles. It is heavy, about 70 lbs, yet a pair of adults can carry it easily. The max capacity of BKC TK219 is 440 lbs. For more convenience, BKC TK219 also has paddle parks allowing you to free your hands, rod holders, and waterproof storage.
BKC TK219 features a flat 34-inch beam offering superb stability for fishing in all sorts of conditions. The kayak remains balanced even in choppy waters or swift currents and suitable for all types of water.
When it comes to a long adventure, you’ll need a comfortable seat and stability; and BKC TK219 has both.
|BKC TK219 12.2′ Tandem Fishing Kayak Specifications|
148 x 32 x 12 inches
All types of water
Built-In Rod Holders
BKC TK219 is a great fishing kayak for professional anglers or a novice weekend vacation.
Best For Calm Coastal Waters: Perception Kayaks Pescador
- Adjustable seatback positioning & Quick-adjust footrests
- Comfortable, Stable, Durable, and Safe
- Leak-proof one-piece construction
- High carrying and storage capacity
- Only suitable for calm water
Perception Kayaks Pescador is designed for calm water like lakes, ponds, and flat-water rivers. It is Comfortable, Stable, Durable, and Safe – all you need for a sit-on-top fishing kayak.
The adjustable seatback positioning and quick-adjust footrests for personalized fit and comfort. Perception Kayaks Pescador is wide enough to be incredibly stable, yet sleek enough to slice through the water. The stability, high capacity, and built-in buoyancy provide you with maximum safety. Perception Kayaks Pescador is greatly durable thanks to the high-density polyethylene and one-piece roto-molded construction that provides exceptional UV, impact, and abrasion-resistant. Moreover, it is coated with saltwater-optimized finishes, allowing you to bring the kayak everywhere.
Other features on Perception Kayaks Pescador are also great: a dry front storage compartment with large hinged hatch, a large rear open storage, gear tracks, two molded-in rod holders, and a convenient drink holder.
|Perception Kayaks Pescador Specifications|
126 x 32 x 14 inches
Lakes, Ponds, and Flat-water rivers
Adjustable seatback & footrests
Dry front storage compartment
Large rear open storage
Two molded-in rod holders
Perception Kayaks Pescador is a fast-turning, straight-tracking, and easy-paddling kayak for calm water.
Best For Beginners: Sun Dolphin Camino SS
- Simple design and easy to operate
- Square stern offers maximum stability
- Small and pretty basic features
Sun Dolphin Camino SS is a basic kayak piece, I have to say, however, a great one to begin with. It is only 8ft long, 30in wide, and carries only up to 225 lbs, which is quite small. The price, thus, is very affordable.
However, the quality and stability of the kayak are surprisingly decent as the square stern offers maximum stability. The adjustable, padded seat with high backrest is not superb, but acceptably comfortable. It also features a drink holder and storage compartments.
|Sun Dolphin Camino SS Specifications|
96 x 30 x 12 inches
Large open cockpit
Sun Dolphin Camino SS is a basic and easy-to-operate kayak for beginners.
Highest Capacity: Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130
- Enormous space and super high load capacity
- Optimum control and superior comfort
- Superb of speed and stability
- Fits to all types of water
- Features large storages and necessary accessories
- Designed for only 1 person
Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 is a bigger version of Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90 for serious cruises. Sea Ghost 130 is a large and heavy kayak with 13ft length, 33in width, and 75lb weight. Still, it is only suitable for one person as they design it that way.
Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 is super comfortable, just like the Skipjack 90 with a 2-position, breathable seat, adjustable foot braces, and easy access accessory gear tracks, paddle parks, cup holder. It provides you with a pre-installed toe controlled rudder system for effortless control.
Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 has the best-in-class engineered stability that allows you to stand firmly on it.
The storage space on Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 is enormous and the load capacity is massive. Other features are also pretty great. This kayak prepares you for long day adventures.
|Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 Specifications|
Lakes / Ponds; Rivers / Streams; Open Water / Ocean; Ocean Surf
Watertight Dual-Hinged Console w cargo bags + magnetic tackle tra
Fishing Rod Holder
Fish Finder and Accessories Moun
6 Integrated Top-Loading Accessory Gear Track
Lots of Storage Space
Vibe Kayaks Sea Ghost 130 is a convenient and superb-quality kayak for long day cruises.
How To Choose The Best Sit On Top Fishing Kayaks?
To choose the best fit sit-on-top fishing kayak, you’ll need to identify these following things:
Where are you going to paddle the kayak? Whether it is a calm river or ocean? Each fishing kayak is designed for one or several types of water, so notice it before making a purchase.
How many people per kayak? For one person, a 9ft kayak would be enough. For two or three people, you may need a 12+ft kayak.
Do you take a long day cruise? For a long day cruise, you’ll need a kayak that has a lot of storage as well as durability and stability.
Which Brands Make The Best Sit On Top Fishing Kayaks?
- Vibe is a very young company, which started in 2013. They focus on one mission: making products for paddlers of any skill level. The two founders are also fishermen and kayak addicts.
- They have couples of the best fishing kayaks for one person on the market, such as the Skipjack 90 or the Sea Ghost 130 I reviewed above. Their kayaks are known for their stability and comfort. Overall, Vibe kayak is a trust-worthy brand with nearly 100,000 customers but zero “drama”.
- Vibe is young and focus. On the other extreme, Lifetime has a long story and a wide range of products. It is established in 1986, initially creating basketball systems. Now, they have become a worldwide trusted brand for their tables, chairs, sheds, and kayaks.
- Lifetime is the name and also their quality statement. They create affordable products with quality, strength, and lifetime durability. Indeed, Lifetime is the only kayak brand that provides customers with a 5-year warranty.
Brooklyn kayak Company (BKC)
- Brooklyn Kayak Co. is an inspiring kayak maker. Being born in New York, Brooklyn Kayak Co. has the mission to bring the resident outside, to reconnect with nature, and feel the fresh of Jamaica Bay. They make kayaks for all kinds of purposes, from solo to dual or triple paddlers. Their kayaks are high-quality, durable, yet not overpriced.
Which is more stable sit in or sit on kayak?
Sit-on-top kayaks have a higher center of gravity and commonly a wider bottom, so they have more initial stability. In return, a lower center of gravity and a narrower bottom make sit-inside kayaks have more secondary stability.
Is a sit on top kayak better for fishing?
Yes, I would say so because sit-on-top kayaks have more stability, more storage, and more gears.
How can I make my sit on top kayak more stable?
A sit-on-top kayak is pretty stable. You can add more secondary stability by adding a ballast to lower the center of gravity.
How far can you kayak in a day?
It depends on the water condition. A professional racer can paddle more than 200 miles a day on flat water. A reasonable distance for a man is about 30 miles a day.
Do kayaks tip over easily?
No. Kayaks do not likely to tip over easily, especially on calm water. However, it is riskier to paddle on rapid water or sea, so you need to master your paddling skills first before doing so.
It must be exciting purchasing your first sit-on-top fishing kayak. I hope my review provides you with helpful information to choose the best one.