When you head for the open sea, every tiny mistake is irredeemable. It is worth investing a bit for a kayak.
Here are the fastest fishing kayaks (Apr 2021 Update):
- Best Overall (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Pelican Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak 10ft
- Comfortable Seat & Great Tracking (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak 10ft
- For Couples (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak 10ft
- Best Overall (Sit-In Kayak): Sun Dolphin Aruba 10ft Kayak
- Inflatable (Sit-In Kayak): Intex Excursion Pro Kayak 12ft7in
- Best For Large People (Sit-In Kayak): Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak 12ft2in
|6 Fastest Fishing Kayaks|
|Pelican Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak 10ft|
Comfortable Seat & Great Tracking
|Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak 10ft|
|Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak 10ft|
|Sun Dolphin Aruba 10ft Kayak|
|Intex Excursion Pro Kayak 12ft7in|
Best For Large People
|Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak 12ft2in|
Sit-on-top kayaks are a preferred choice for beginners and recreational kayakers. They are pretty stable and easy to get in and get out. You can easily slip on and off the kayak as you want. However, you'll definitely get wet on a sit-on-top kayak. So it'll more suitable for warm environments.
Best Overall (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Pelican Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak 10ft
- Hydrodynamics efficiency
- Lightweight & Easy to carry
- Multi-Chine flat bottom hull
- Storages & Mesh Deck Cover
- Fishing accessories
- The seat is not comfortable
Pelican Fishing Kayak is my pick for the best overall sit-on-top kayak. It is made of high molecular weight polyethylene (HMWPE), which is super durable and resistant to impacts and breakage. The material is also pretty lightweight; plus, the two retractable carrying handles make it easy to carry the kayak around. The sit-on-top design with an open cockpit makes it easy to get in and out.
Pelican Fishing Kayak features a multi-chine flat bottom hull for extra stability that is impossible to flip over. It features a Quick-Lock Hatch, a 4" day hatch with storage bag, a storage platform with mesh deck cover - pretty of room to store all your stuff. It also features fishing accessories, including a Swivel Rod Holder, an Angler Ruler, two Flush Mount Rod Holders - ready for your fishing trips.
Moreover, with the hydrodynamic design, Pelican Fishing Kayak allows great maneuverability and speed. However, the seat of the kayak is not so comfortable. You may have to buy a separate seat cushion.
|Pelican Sit-On-Top Fishing Kayak 10ft Specifications|
Multi-Chine flat bottom hull
Pelican Fishing Kayak features a hydrodynamic design and a multi-chine flat bottom hull.
Comfortable Seat & Great Tracking (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak 10ft
- UV-protected & Sturdy material
- Stable flat bottom & Stability chine rails
- Multiple footrest positions
- Adjustable padded seatback
- Front and rear shock cord straps & t-handles
- The dry well does not stay dry
Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak is a wonderful sit-on-top fishing kayak. The kayak is made of UV-protected high-density Polyethylene, which is sturdy and durable. I highly recommend this kayak for its comfort. It features an adjustable padded seatback, a padded seat, and a multi-position footrest for riders of different height.
Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak features a flat-bottom hull for greater stability, a sharp bow for speed and tracking, and a tracking skeg for straight paddling. The kayak is super stable that allows you to perform many casting skills. The front and rear of the kayak feature shock cord straps to add more support, and t-handles for easier carrying.
For storage, Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak features two 6" storage compartments in the rear and center. However, the dry well does not stay dry, so be careful when you put your smartphone there.
|Lifetime Tamarack Angler Fishing Kayak 10ft Specifications|
2 * 6" storage compartments
Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak is stable enough that lets you perform many casting skills.
For Couples (Sit-On-Top Kayak): Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak 10ft
- Comes in a pack of two kayaks
- Thick and Durable
- Great tracking
- Comfortable & suitable for all height
- Quite heavy
Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak comes in a pack of two, so if you are finding an option for you and your significant one, this is a good choice.
Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak is pretty much the same as the Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak. Two models are made of UV-protected high-density Polyethylene. Both feature a stable flat bottom and stability chine rails. Both have adjustable padded seat and seatback, along with a multi-position footrest, making the kayaks comfortable for paddlers of all height. And both feature two 6" storage compartments, cord straps, and, t-handles.
However, Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak is quite heavy to carry around. This is a big drawback.
|Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayak 10ft Specifications|
2 * 6" storage compartments
Tioga Sit-On-Top Kayaks are stable and comfortable, ideal for couples.
When it comes to sit-inside kayaks, you will be able to move faster. They are also warmer as you sit inside the kayak and are not likely to get wet. However, sit-inside kayaks don't allow you as much freedom as sit-on-top kayaks. Moreover, if the kayak flips for some reason, it'll pretty difficult to flip it over as the kayak will be filled with water.
Best Overall (Sit-In Kayak): Sun Dolphin Aruba 10ft Kayak
- Great Comfort, Durability, & Maneuverability
- Large open cockpit & Convenient gear storage
- Adjustable foot braces
- Spray deflector collar
- Shock cord deck rigging
- Remember to check missing parts when it arrives
Sun Dolphin Aruba Kayak is my pick for the best overall sit-inside kayak. This is not for pro paddling but would be a perfect choice for recreational paddling. It features a large open cockpit, convenient gear storage, adjustable foot braces, a spray deflector collar, a shock cord deck rigging. All make the kayak pretty good at tracking and maneuvering.
Moreover, Sun Dolphin Aruba Kayak is very comfortable while you’re sitting inside. This is a great choice for beginners. However, you should check for missing parts when it arrives as many buyers report that no paddle or no seat is included in the package. Check it and contact the distributor within the return date.
|Sun Dolphin Aruba 10ft Kayak Specifications|
Large open cockpit
Sun Dolphin Aruba Kayak is great at tracking and maneuvering, perfect for beginners.
Inflatable (Sit-In Kayak): Intex Excursion Pro Kayak 12ft7in
- Inflatable - easy inflation & fast deflation
- Lightweight, tough, and durable
- Resistant to abrasion, impact, and sunlight
- Built-in storage and accessories
- Suitable for two people
- Not sturdy
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is a special sit-inside kayak, which is inflatable. It features high-pressure spring-loaded valves, which allows easy inflation & fast deflation. The kayak is constructed with high-molecular PVC skin and polyester core for toughness and durability. Moreover, the PVC is resistant to damage from abrasion, impact, and sunlight, as well as withstands some conditions like gasoline, oil, and saltwater.
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak has enough room and features two adjustable bucket seats for two people. Plus, the kayak features 2 removable skews, 2 rod holders, a removable and adjustable mounting bracket for multi-purpose. Moreover, the kayak is super lightweight - only 39 lbs. However, Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is not so sturdy.
|Intex Excursion Pro Kayak 12ft7in Specifications|
High-pressure spring-loaded valves
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is an inflatable sit-inside kayak, lightweight & tough.
Best For Large People (Sit-In Kayak): Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak 12ft2in
- High speed & Efficient
- Renowned hull
- Adjustable & Ergonomic seat
- Adjustable footrest
- Rear hatch with sealed bulkhead
- Doesn’t track very well
Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak is well-known for its renowned hull, which ensures stability without sacrificing speed. It offers best-in-class speed with a great paddling efficiency. However, it does not track very well. This kayak is perfect for calm water.
Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak features an adjustable an ergonomic seat, which provides great support to your lower back. The footrest is adjustable to fit paddlers of different height. The seat is constructed with honeycomb-vented foam for both plush feeling and good air circulation. The kayak has a rear hatch with sealed bulkhead for you to store your gear.
|Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak 12ft2in Specifications|
Wilderness Systems PUNGO Kayak offers best-in-class speed with a great paddling efficiency.
How To Choose The Fastest Fishing Kayak?
When you are about to buy a fishing kayak, here are some things to consider:
- Sit-on-top kayak vs Sit-inside kayak: Sit-on-top kayaks are more preferred when it comes to recreational paddling, while sit-inside kayaks are more preferred thanks to its speed. Both are good for fishing; however, there are some advantages and disadvantages of each choice. Sit-on-top kayaks are pretty stable and easy to get in and get out; however, you'll definitely get wet on a sit-on-top kayak. Sit-inside kayaks are also warmer as you sit inside the kayak and are not likely to get wet; However, sit-inside kayaks don't allow you as much freedom as sit-on-top kaya
- Tracking ability & Maneuverability: Tracking ability and maneuverability are two priorities when it comes to fishing kayaks. Tracking ability refers to the ability to stay stable and not to flip over. Maneuverability refers to the ability to turn easily as your guiding.
- Comfort: This is another priority when you are choosing a fishing kayak. How the rest supports your lower back, your upper back; how comfortable your seat top is; and how comfortable the footrest position is, etc. - you should pay a little attention to these details.
- Sturdiness and durability: When you head for the open sea, every tiny mistake is irredeemable. So make sure the kayak is sturdy and durable enough.
Which Brands Make The Fastest Fishing Kayak?
Pelican is a long-established company, headquartered in Canada. They have been designing and manufacturing kayaks, canoes, pedal boats, and fishing boats for more than 50 years. They are well-known for their mastery of thermoforming, which manifests in durable and high-quality products at affordable prices. All the kayaks are made of multi-layer materials, which are superior for their high impact-resistance, UV-protection, and the ability to regain its initial shape after violent impacts. Pelican is the to-go brand when you need a fishing kayak.
Sun Dolphin is a pretty young brand that makes kayaks, pedal boats, canoes, and paddleboards. Sun Dolphin's kayaks are well-known for their innovative design, their high quality, and their affordability. Sun Dolphin is my choice when I need a kayak for recreational purposes or for beginners.
Lifetime is another trust-worthy brand. The brand is famous not only for kayaks and water sports equipment, but also for tables, chairs, sheds, basketball equipment, and playground equipment. Quality and innovative design are their main advantages. With its reputation, you can be confident buying kayaks of this brand.
Which is faster: sit-in vs sit-on-top kayak?
Sit-in kayaks tend to be faster than sit-on-top kayaks.
How fast can you go on a kayak?
On average, kayakers maintain a speed of about 5 kilometers per hour (3 miles per hour).
Are cheap kayaks worth it?
When you head for the open sea, every tiny mistake is irredeemable. So it is worth investing a little more for a kayak.
Is kayaking harder than canoeing?
In fact, kayaks are easier than canoes because they are lighter and easier to maneuver.
Do kayaks flip over easily?
No. It is pretty hard to tip over a kayak.
Tracking ability & Maneuverability, Comfort, Sturdiness & Durability are some things you may want to pay attention to when choosing a fishing kayak. I hope this review can help you find your fastest fishing kayak.