Just because you’re seeking the best kayak for big guys doesn’t mean anything with a high weight capacity will be the best. So what else to look for? This article will show you.
Here are the best kayaks for big guys you can buy in 2020:
- Best Sit-On Touring Kayak: Intex Explorer K2
- Best Sit-On Whitewater Kayak: BKC UH-TK181
- Best Sit-On Fishing Kayak: Perception Pescador Pro 12
- Best Overall Sit-In Kayak: Perception Sound 10.5
- Best Sit-In Fishing Kayak: Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak
- Best Sit-In Touring Kayak: SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS
|Top 6 Best Kayaks For Big Guys|
Best Sit-On Touring Kayak
|Intex Explorer K2||Read Our Review|
Best Sit-On Whitewater Kayak
|BKC UH-TK181||Read Our Review|
Best Sit-On Fishing Kayak
|Perception Pescador Pro 12||Read Our Review|
Best Overall Sit-In Kayak
|Perception Sound 10.5||Read Our Review|
Best Sit-In Fishing Kayak
|Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak||Read Our Review|
Best Sit-In Touring Kayak
|SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS||Read Our Review|
Sit On Top
Best Sit-On Touring Kayak: Intex Explorer K2
- The seats are placed higher to keep you drier while boating -> increase your paddling quality
- Versatile – can be used by two persons or solo
- Seats are removable with a comfortable backrest to save you from fatigue
- The fin is easily loose in the water so don’t use it water conditions with high rocks
- Easy to get mold
- You can’t adjust the seat once in the kayak
Intex Explorer K2 is a kayak for recreational touring.
It features two removable seats with backrest and one roomy cockpit that can even fit a small cooler.
Sizing 120 x 37 inches, the boat is also spacious enough for two people to sit but still streamlined for solo.
For those who are indecisive between this and the Intex Challenger, our suggestion would be this because its seats raise you out of water at the bottom of the boat. That means splashes are kept away from you and your paddle quality is much better.
|Intex Explorer K2 Specifications|
Smaller bodies of waters
Made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
Designed to smaller bodies of waves with streamlined design, higher seats, and roomy cockpit, the Intex Explorer K2 makes it a perfect choice for touring.
Best Sit-On Whitewater Kayak: BKC UH-TK181
- Reasonable size to flow easily among rocks but still providing spacious space for sitting and storing
- Waterproof, secure hatches to keep your essentials better and drier
- Feature many add-ons – rod holders, twin paddle rests, and multiple handles
- Bulky and heavy
- Little details
A bit different from the K2, this BKC UH-TK181 is an adventure-ready kayak, meaning that it’s designed with durability and abuse resistance in mind.
Besides, its storage hatches are very notable.
They are highly waterproof to secure your person stuff better against harsh waters and besides, divided into twin watertight storage compartments for extra leg resting space. Fans of this kayak also claimed for its decent performance in whitewater, which commonly comes from its wise dimensions.
The boat features reasonably extended length to provide two comfortable seats and a spacious cargo area. In addition, a narrower width helps it easily flow between rocks.
There are also many practical add-ons, such as multiple handles to help you drag it to the shore more easily and the twin paddle rests for hands-free capability.
|BKC UH-TK181 Specifications|
Saltwater, rough waters
3 articulated fishing rod holders and 4 flush-mounted rod holders.
If you’re an adventurous kayaker, we highly recommend the BKC UH-TK181 due to its ultra-durable and resistance.
Best Sit-On Fishing Kayak: Perception Pescador Pro 12
- The seat can be lowered down or raised up, moving back or forth depending on your needs for optimum comfort and casting
- Mesh seat to keep you cool all day when sitting on it
- Integrated accessory rails to let you track your fish finders with hands-free
- Made in the USA, you can rest the heart about its quality
- The rear hatch is slightly difficult to get things in and out
Proudly made in the USA, the Perception Pescador Pro 12 ensures the quality. Even more, it’s reviewed as one of the most dreaming fishing kayaks out there.
Out of its safe, dependable design, the boat highlights ultra-large front and rear open storage where you can keep your fishing gears and even a cooler.
Knowing that most nowadays fishers usually use one or two fish finders for enhanced navigation, the brand has added an integrated accessory rail on each gunwale.
You’ll also receive many benefits from its seat because it is lawn chair mesh designed with multiple adjustments – not only back and forth but also raised up and lowered down.
|Perception Pescador Pro 12 Specifications|
Slow-moving rivers; flat-water lakes and ponds; coastal waters with light waves
Max capacity 375 lbs.
Your perfect first fishing kayak
An all-in-one fishing kayak will become the best pal for any fisherman. Out of many options in the market, Perception Pescador Pro 12 is the shiniest contender.
Best Overall Sit-In Kayak: Perception Sound 10.5
- Feature tri-keel hull to perfectly suit for quiet, slow-moving waters
- Smaller dimensions but don’t sacrifice its comfort – still give you a cushy seat with large footrest
- Nearly ½ the weight of the previous version -> easier to drag around
- The paddle holders aren’t as high-quality as other components
This recreational kayak has quite a similar appearance to its previous sibling but some notable components really make it a superior option for larger paddlers. Such as the ergonomic zone seat with extra cushion and adjustable backrest or the roomier adjustable footrests.
Compared to the Pro 12 above, this is much comfier to give you the most relaxing fishing moments outdoor.
Perception doesn’t close their eyes on this boat’s convenience, which is clearly proved through the added fishing rod holders and the dashboard with mounting points.
The best thing is, it’s very lightweight and there are two front and rear handles for one to drag it into the shore easily.
|Perception Sound 10.5 Specifications|
quiet, slow-moving waters
Built to explore quiet
If you want a lighter and more compact boat for easier transporting but doesn’t sacrifice comfort and convenience, this 10.5 kayak from Perception is worth-considering.
Best Sit-In Fishing Kayak: Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak
- Highlight 3 layers of materials with a durable aluminum frame to make the boat much stronger and more durable than other fishing boats
- Still float on the water if unluckily, one air chamber is broken
- Preassemble before arrive so you can quickly use it after unboxing
- Don’t include a quick dry-patch kit
- No leg room nor cargo room
- The zippers aren’t waterproof
Speaking of the best sit-in fishing kayak, nothing can compete with this Advanced Elements.
It puts safety as the paramount factor – which is also what we appreciate the most. Highlighting 3 layers of double-coated Rip-Stop fabric combining with built-in aluminum ribs, it gives maximum strength and durability than any other fishing boat.
Plus, there comes with multiple air chambers so if one is unfortunately punctured, the others still work well to keep your kayak float on the water.
We guess you probably worry about how to install such a complicated design. But rest assured, it is preassembled at the factory before arriving at you. So your tasks are just unfolding, inflating, and attaching the seat. Done!
|Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak Specifications|
3 layers of material for extreme puncture resistance
Packed with everything needed, the Advanced Elements is an ideal fishing sit-in kayak that any fisherman dreams of.
Best Sit-In Touring Kayak: SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS
- Eye-catching design to let you kayak with style
- The polyethylene material is anti-UV and puncture-resistant to last longer with minimal color fading and wears over the time
- Despite the small design, it still gives you extra storage space
- Very affordable – ideal for tight-budget kayakers
- The insert between the hull and the footrests is prone to pop out if your kayak flexes during travel
- The hatch is not completely sealed
The SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS is our last-but-not-least recommendation on this list.
It gives you more than what to bargain for at a rock bottom price point. Such as the lightness and compact design for easier transporting, the rugged UV-resistant polyethylene material, and the covered console for extra durability.
The best part is its portable accessory carrier which can be utilized as extra storage space if you want to bring some water, fishing gears, and tackles.
For flat waters, it performs decently for recreational use. Ah, did I mention that it also looked great?
|SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS Specifications|
Easy to carry
Packed with many practical, high-quality features, the SUNDOLPHIN Aruba SS is one of the best value touring kayaks on the market.
How To Choose The Best Kayaks For Big Guys?
- A common misconception is that lower weight capacity is synonymous to the smaller appearance of the boat. It’s not true! There are many kayaks out there built in a small and very lightweight profile but can accommodate an incredibly high loading weight.
- That means it’s still possible to pick a highly-endurance kayak at a compact figure.
- But what you should keep in mind when considering this factor is not only your own weight but also the number of gears that are going to be with you during the trip.
- The closer you go to the max loading weight of your boat, the lower it is in the water and therefore, the slower and less stable it will be.
- The kayak’s width plays a hugely important role in this factor.
- And the wider the kayak, the wider the cockpits in general, which gives you roomier seating area with more stable and reliable feeling because the loading weight now is distributed more evenly. This is really important if you’re not only a big guy but also a newbie in kayaking.
- But it’s okay if you can’t look for a boat with ideal width because outriggers can make your yak a bit wider, adding extra stability.
Depth And Seating
- While the boat’s depth will give you extra room to feel more comfortable, the height and position of the seat take a huge part in the stability.
- The lower the seat, the comfier and more secure you feel because your center of gravity is lowered, giving more resting sitting gesture.
- Your comfort is also decided by the type of seat. It should feature a mesh, supportive backrest with some inclined adjustments to save your back from hours of sitting on the water.
Which Brands Make The Best Kayaks For Big Guys?
- Intex is one of our go-to brands where you can get not only high-quality products but also at really affordable price points. As this is a well-known global brand with the big-scaled manufacturing process, hence, each kayak is made at a really low cost without compromising quality.
- BKC, which stands for Brooklyn Kayak Company, is another dependable option where you can pick a wide range of hard-shell kayaks of different sizes and functions. With mid-tier price ranges, this is a good address for those kayakers who readily pay for quality for a better outdoor experience.
- The special thing about Perception that caught our attention at first is after 40 years’ experience in the industry, each of their products now has still been designed, molded, and hand-assembled. So their products, aside from the personal touches, are also known for safety, durability, versatility, and comfort.
- Like Perception, SUNDOLPHIN was founded in the United States in the 1980s and the whole manufacturing process is strictly monitored by their experts for the highest quality at the best price.
What Kayak has the highest weight capacity?
The highest weight capacity of kayaks that we’ve tested is up to 750 pounds. For big guys, 350 pounds to 600 pounds are a good choice, depending on the type of boat you’re going to choose.
How much weight will a kayak hold?
Each type of kayak has its weight limits. For example, a tandem is 500 – 600 pounds; a sit-on-top is 350 – 400 pounds; a touring kayak is 350 pounds; and a recreational is 250 – 300 pounds.
What is the widest kayak?
In our list, the Intex Explorer K2 is the widest kayak with 39” of deck size and it is one of the most stable sit-on-top boats out there.
How can I make my sit-in kayak more stable?
To make your sit in a kayak more stable, you should learn different paddling techniques, such as low support stroke, sidestroke, turning stroke, and forward paddling. This helps you handle different situations in the water better and calmer.
Adjusting your seat and even the kayak is also an important thing to do before your watery trip. For extra stability, you can add foot pedals and ballast.
How far can you kayak in a day?
This factor depends on several things, including your endurance, the boat type, and water conditions. For example, it could be up to 100km within 10 hours in a racing kayak.
Do kayaks tip over easily?
Kayaks are commonly made to hardly tip over unless you try so hard or in harsh whitewater.
Before searching “best kayak for big guys”, let determine your needs, preference, and budget to avoid feeling overwhelmed when there are tons of results pop up.
Keep in mind the four key things to consider for a choice that we’ve told you before, we promise the whole process will be much simpler.
That’s all for this article, thanks for reading!